Do you like Android or iPhone better, and why?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I tend to prefer Android phones because they have models where you can easily swap the battery out when it starts to wain. How about you guys? Who is your preffered smartphone?

I was iPhone from the 3GS to 7 Plus. Got bored with iOS and didn't care for the X or 8 Plus, so tried Android. Started with the Samsung S7 Edge - hated it. Switched the HTC 10 - liked it. Moved on to a OnePlus 5T, then Pixel 2XL. Now have a Pixel 3XL.

I strongly prefer Android, now, but would have no trouble switching back if Apple made another iPhone worth buying.

I like Android better but would rather use an iPhone because it's more consistent, more secure, and protects user privacy better than giant metadata collecting OS.

I really hate the 3x3 foldering system on iOS and a lack of app drawer. But I would much rather deal with that than for Google to gather so much data on me that it's frigging scary.

I had used android since andorid was released. Literally. And the last 6 years I had almost every Samsung flagship phone. From the S series and note series.

Then I tried iOS. I have tried a 6S, 7 Plus, 8 Plus, iPhone SE, and now a XS Max. I also bought a used Macbook. Switched my work phone over to iOS also. It is a nice ecosystem.

And yes Android is more open of a OS. Thats for sure. But for what I do with my phones, iOS just works. And its been rock stable.

iPhone because I'm neck deep in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, AirPods). The inter-connectivity between all of these devices is fantastic. I also have enjoyed how stable and well everything has run on iOS for years.

But...if I didn't have anything else that is Apple I would likely own either a OnePlus or Pixel device now since Android has become much more stable and reliable over the past few years. If there weren't any controversies surrounding Huawei, their Mate 20 Pro probably would be in my hands.

I think the smartphone you started with or have been with the longest, is the preferred choice.

Me, I have owned, what 15 to 20 smartphones over a decade, only 3 being iPhone's the rest Android. I just feel more comfortable with Android, I like the way it operates, and the back button is a must, and I like the pull down notification shade, and the Google Now feed on the left panel, and putting widgets anywhere you like, and using the phone as a portable harddrive if needed. I like AOD ( Always On Display )

I have tried iPhone's and for some reason it always feels weird, the way the OS works just isn't comfortable to me. I really do not like iOS whatsoever, and much prefer stock Android or Oxygen OS ( OnePlus ) much more.

I like both, but my next phone will probably be an iphone simply because Apple has way better OS update support than Android.

I spend more time on my phone now than my laptop for work.

I am used to an iPhone, and the ecosystem has been a convenient reason to stay there. It helps that generally, Apple makes really nice hardware.

It's not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. And you can definitely tell that Steve is no longer around =(

I've had numerous IOS and Android devices... I side with Android for my personal devices simply because:
- Value
- Performance
- Customizing

I currently have a Pixel 2XL and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. The Edge is old but man is it ever a beast of a phone even by todays standards..

Android simply because of the freedom.

I can't stand my wife's iPhone (currently on XR), Apple Watch, or my son's iPad (we got it originally for his speech delay). The UI is garbage. The Settings menu is the biggest shithole imaginable. The updates...OMG don't even get me started on how horrible those are in terms of length of install time.

And the abomination that is iMessage is the king of the shit pile. Not because it isn't a good product (it's a actually a very good messaging system), but because there's no way to NOT fucking use it if you don't want to. iMessage is why I still have Apple crap in my house. I can't get my wife completely off it without killing the entire Apple account which would then cripple my sons iPad (he's only 7). What happens is iMessage ties to your phone number AND your email address without asking. Apple just opts you in. So even when you de-register the phone number the email address with iMessage stays active. So when we tried to move the wife to Android all her group chats with her lady friends (all on iPhones) got missed. iMessage still saw her as an active user because of the email address tied to the account. There is NO way to remove that link meaning locked into ecosystem unless we delete and start over. Total horseshit.

Android simply because of the freedom.

I can't stand my wife's iPhone (currently on XR), Apple Watch, or my son's iPad (we got it originally for his speech delay). The UI is garbage. The Settings menu is the biggest shithole imaginable. The updates...OMG don't even get me started on how horrible those are in terms of length of install time.

And the abomination that is iMessage is the king of the shit pile. Not because it isn't a good product (it's a actually a very good messaging system), but because there's no way to NOT fucking use it if you don't want to. iMessage is why I still have Apple crap in my house. I can't get my wife completely off it without killing the entire Apple account which would then cripple my sons iPad (he's only 7). What happens is iMessage ties to your phone number AND your email address without asking. Apple just opts you in. So even when you de-register the phone number the email address with iMessage stays active. So when we tried to move the wife to Android all her group chats with her lady friends (all on iPhones) got missed. iMessage still saw her as an active user because of the email address tied to the account. There is NO way to remove that link meaning locked into ecosystem unless we delete and start over. Total horseshit.

The UI bit is subjective, but on updates, I'd rather take lengthy installs than Android's currently shoddy update policy. I know Google Play Services mitigates some of the need for full OS updates, but it's still slightly horrifying to realize that you'll never really get more than two years of major feature updates, and that Google isn't requiring more than four security updates per year. There could be a Blaster-style worm for Android (remember the Blaster panic in the XP era?) and you might not get a fix for months if your vendor sticks to its schedule.

As for iMessage, I haven't had problems disabling it but I know Apple hooks in deeply and I wish it was more viable to completely cut the cord. With that said... I do like using it.

iPhone. I've owned nearly every Android flagship phone since Android came out, and although I like the widgets and the ability to customize, the ecosystem and updates just suck. iPhone and iWatch cellular is an amazing combination that simply just works- I've had several cellular Android wear /WearOS watches and it's just pathetic- slow, terrible battery life, totally an island in terms of cellular connectivity, etc. I really wish Google would step up and play hardball with Samsung, etc to force them to properly support the OS- there's no reason why updates should take as long as they do, or why devices are EOLed so quickly. With an iPhone, you know you're going to get timely updates- including major OS updates- for years to come.

Moved from iphone 3gs to android, to windows, and now back to android on Pie with Moto x4. iphone was OK, android was OK... a bit better at the time, but hated the proprietary apps that couldn't be removed with the Samsung I had. loved my windows phone but it's defunct and never had a real chance. Now I'm really loving my new android experience. The inter-connectivity with my PC and cloud services is absolutely fantastic nowadays. I love being able to transfer files between PC and cloud services easily without a wired connection. Modern tech is amazing. I haven't gotten very far with experimenting with print services yet but am hopeful I will be able to deal with remote printing at work just as easily.

Android all the way for me!

I like them and hate them both for different reasons. I use an XS Max because work pays for it. We are an iPhone house since it works really well with our MDM. Since I help admin the MDM and purchase company phones, I get the newest iPhone on day one every year. I like the frequent updates and no playing the game of "Will my phone get this update? When will I get it? Will my carrier delay it a year?". Apple supports their phones years past what Google does on their own branded phones. I love iMessage and think its one of the biggest barbs that Apple has in its ecosystem. It just does messaging right. I also like that Apple is concerned about my privacy. I don't trust Google at all even though I use their services a lot. I guess I'm willing to "pay" for them with my data but I still don't like it. The biggest downfall for me and iPhones are the price. I refuse to pay +1000 dollars of a phone. If work wasn't footing the bill for my phone, I'd be on a OnePlus or sub $800 phone for sure. This falls a little into Android territory for me too. There's no way I would buy a $1000 Pixel or Note as much as I would love one. The biggest selling point for me and android is I am not a cloud service kind of guy. I love putting all my stuff on my phone. My music, some movies, my pictures. I love that android is drag and drop for files. Almost as much as I love imessage.

Last edited:
Especially now days when iPhone camera isn't the best anymore, the only reasons to buy an iPhone are reliability, support, and resale value. Lord knows the iOS UI's 3x3 foldering system and lack of app drawer is just ancient...

I got a XR because of the price. I'm sorry, Apple, but Android flagships have been using OLED displays for years and they aren't (weren't) charging $1000. The XR should also have an excellent resale value and should get just as much support and updates. So this extra charge Apple is charging for OLED is frigging ridiculous.

Culturally, status symbols are way bigger deals in China. You will get shamed for buying a XR in China because it means you are "a wannabe who can't afford the best and yet too dumb to just save money on a copycat product." So they might as well spend that XR money on the best from Huawei and be "Chinese proud" of that purchase. China is the biggest market, and Apple has fucked themselves with the pricing. (Since I'm not Chinese, I don't give a damn.)

Chinese phones are getting really good now too. Look at OnePlus and the Poco F1. If the F1 worked in the states I’d have one as my personal phone.

My first Android was a Galaxy 5, LG5, then the PRIV. I hated the PRIV so much that I switched to an iPhone 7. Got an iPhone XR now and couldn't be happier. Chose the XR over the XS since it has better battery life. I actually like that fact that the screen is a lower-res since it saves batter and I can't tell the difference. I'm not sure how true it is that Apple respects your privacy more than Google but it's a big reason I like Apple products.

iPhone 7 for work - prefer it to Android for that specific use-case. Simple easy,security that isn't always in your face, gets the job done.
Samsung S9 personal - I'm used to Android and I like the ability to modify the UI, and Swype keyboard is best keyboard

I see some good in aspects of Apple products but I really do not like the company or their end products. Android has a lot of issues but I have enjoyed it immensely.

Especially now days when iPhone camera isn't the best anymore, the only reasons to buy an iPhone are reliability, support, and resale value. Lord knows the iOS UI's 3x3 foldering system and lack of app drawer is just ancient...

I got a XR because of the price. I'm sorry, Apple, but Android flagships have been using OLED displays for years and they aren't (weren't) charging $1000. The XR should also have an excellent resale value and should get just as much support and updates. So this extra charge Apple is charging for OLED is frigging ridiculous.

I would personally IPS than OLED. Since I have phone on most of the time and navigation at least few hours a day, wouldn’t want to deal with burn-in. Resale value also would be better for my case. I bought apple care specifically just for burn in issue alone....

I see some good in aspects of Apple products but I really do not like the company or their end products. Android has a lot of issues but I have enjoyed it immensely.

I don't know that I'd object to Apple given Google's own practices. I don't think Google is evil incarnate, but it did strong-arm phone manufacturers and had to be browbeaten into paying a modest amount of respect to privacy. And don't get me started on its piss-poor attitude toward security updates.

The reality is that neither company is particularly grand, although I lean toward Apple simply because it makes some principled stands that Google doesn't.

I like both honestly and switch between them often. I personally like Android more though and waiting for my Note 9 to come in.

I don't know that I'd object to Apple given Google's own practices. I don't think Google is evil incarnate, but it did strong-arm phone manufacturers and had to be browbeaten into paying a modest amount of respect to privacy. And don't get me started on its piss-poor attitude toward security updates.

The reality is that neither company is particularly grand, although I lean toward Apple simply because it makes some principled stands that Google doesn't.

I'll make no excuses for Google or any of the crap they have pulled. I just prefer their "open (hah)" ecosystem that works and for the most part gives me "choices." Perhaps if Apple pulled the gold plated stick out of their ass and came back down to Earth where the rest of us plebes live I would not harbor such negativity of everything about them. I think up till around the second or third iPhone they were alright after turning things around with the iPod. After that things down really fast for me. Google has gone down a similar path, more actively in the last 5 or so years. With their slowing sales they may be less annoying to me but we'll see.

And to be fair and open, I tried for many years to get my wife into smart products. The iPod Nano got her to ditch her MP3 cd player years later finally got her a smart phone in an iPhone 4 or 4s. It was a solid introduction for her and a good entry device. After 2 years of living with it (I did not disparage her on it since it was her phone and she was utilizing it vs the 8 other separate devices lol) she could not wait to get away from it. The last year she kept wanting to use my phones.

To each their own and if someone is happy with an iDevice or that ecosystem be happy :)

I would rather have Android podcast apps and I might buy the Note 9 for the battery.

I have the unlocked iPhone SE with the A9 processor. It has 128GB which was only launched in 2017 so it's not that old. I let them throttle it for battery life but it really does not have much battery life. Podcasts or the official Twitter app, not watching videos or gaming. Brightness is at 50%. I use less than a GB of data each month.

I've only had Galaxy Phones for the last 7 years, before that motorola. I've tried friend's iphone's a few times, even the newest ones. I didn't like it. I'm in the don't need to fix what isn't broken boat, I am completely happy and have zero reason to switch. It's fast, it has every feature I need, it does whatever I want. And dual sim + 512GB microsd is a slam dunk.

Simple for me. Android all the way. The reason is I can root my phone and flash a custom ROM on it and then it becomes uniquely mine and I can do what I want with it. I am adverse to anything proprietary.

iPhone

1. I don't have to wait for my phone manufacturer and my mobile carrier to decide when I can have an update to the operating system.
  2. Apple doesn't drop support for their phones 20 minutes after their released forever marooning me on an already outdated version of the operating system. You can still get regular iOS updates on a 5+ year old iPhone 5S.
  3. I personally try to use as few of google services and products as possible.
  4. Works perfectly with the rest of my Apple products in my house; iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple TV(s), iPad's.
If I had absolustely buy a Android phone today, it would be a Pixel.

Stock Android FTW;

I like Apple's hardware, they make and design a beautiful looking smartphone with great hardware, but iOS ugh
mad.png

no back button, notifications suck, no dark mode, widgets suck, the same grid full of app icons from 2007, that still in 2019, 12 years later, you are not allowed to move and place anywhere on the screen you would like. A phone call comes in, and takes up the entire screen, kicking you out of what you were doing. Still no T9 dialer. No AoD ( Always on Display ), I could go on for pages how iOS is still stuck in the year 2007.

I know, I know, iOS has of course obviously been updated since 2007, but...some things have really not changed whatsoever, that totally need to.

Another thing. iOS generally have better 3rd party app support, except in a few categories.

1. Keyboard and password manager
2. Phone caller ID/spam blocker
3. Browsers

I switched to Google keyboard on the iPhone and yet somehow Apple keyboard still pops up once in awhile. LastPass on iPhone works way better than last year but it's still not as easy and straight forward to use as on Android.

True Caller and Hiya don't detect or block jack shit on the iPhone. And, yes, I paid. On my Android phone, hiya blocked almost all the spam.

I want a good version of Firefox on iOS. Not the crippled version that's essentially Safari but with some synchronization to Mozilla.

Another thing. iOS generally have better 3rd party app support, except in a few categories.

1. Keyboard and password manager
2. Phone caller ID/spam blocker
3. Browsers

I know I'm not a typical example of this, but I use KyPass with a self-hosted KeePass database. I know a few people using LastPass and swear by it too. iCloud KeyChain is nice too, but it only works if you are fully invested in the Apple EcoSystem.

I wish they would allow end users to specify the default web browser and email client. I don't really have a problem with Safari or the default Mail app, but the only reason I haven't looking into alternatives is because so many system calls will automatically open Safari.

You forgot to put *Fight* in the thread title. :D ;) /j I think the iPhone is very simple and because of that simplicity, it just works. However, I use Android because of straight up cost of the phones, more than anything else.

I prefer Android because they are more intuitive to use and the hardware packages offered are better.

You forgot to put *Fight* in the thread title. :D ;) /j I think the iPhone is very simple and because of that simplicity, it just works. However, I use Android because of straight up cost of the phones, more than anything else.

Prices are getting insane. When a flagship was $500-600, it was an easy purchase to make 1-2 times per year... now that we're north of $1k for a flagship phone, that's now price competitive with decent laptops, LTE tablets, etc. It's no longer an essentially impulse buy because "oohh, shiny!" and smartphone sales (Android and Apple) have been falling, likely due to the higher and higher prices. I'm not sure who Samsung things is going to buy a $2k folding phone/tablet- I know I'm not since sales volumes will be thin, and therefore they'll support it for a year and end support- just like they do with every other low volume device like their fridges, tablets, etc.

Prices are getting insane. When a flagship was $500-600, it was an easy purchase to make 1-2 times per year... now that we're north of $1k for a flagship phone, that's now price competitive with decent laptops, LTE tablets, etc. It's no longer an essentially impulse buy because "oohh, shiny!" and smartphone sales (Android and Apple) have been falling, likely due to the higher and higher prices. I'm not sure who Samsung things is going to buy a $2k folding phone/tablet- I know I'm not since sales volumes will be thin, and therefore they'll support it for a year and end support- just like they do with every other low volume device like their fridges, tablets, etc.

For this reason alone, I'll be looking into getting a year old iPhone XR to hopefully shave off a few hundred.

Back