Do you let Samsung magician software start with windows ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Subzerok11, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Subzerok11

Subzerok11 Gawd

I installed windows 10 and I'm going though what really needs to boot up with windows and I'm trying to see if Samsung magician and Intel rapid storage technology need to start with windows or not.

I just wanna make sure I still get the benefits even though it don't start up with windows, if any in my case and no I don't use raid. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

Nothing should start with windows unless it's something you legitimately need that boot cycle.

FNtastic likes this.
  3. FNtastic

FNtastic [H]ard|Gawd

I've become lazy with Windows. I let my mouse and keyboard software start on boot as well.

4. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

I let it boot. My PC boots in 10 seconds so it’s not really dragging anything down.

FNtastic likes this.
  5. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

I install it, update firmware and uninstall it ;)

6. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

If you're not going to use RAPID then there's no point in leaving it installed really. I have it installed to make use of RAPID since I'm using an older Core 2 Quad box these days and even with the 860 EVO in it every little bit of performance helps so it's worth the ~1GB of RAM that RAPID requires to help things run a bit better. But no, I don't allow Magician to start when Windows does, there's really no point in that. If you've got some monster box with 16GB of RAM and high performance everything I suppose you wouldn't even notice it save for yet another icon in the System Tray, so it's a personal choice to allow it to run at startup or even keep it installed at all.

7. Niner21

Niner21 n00b

I have the magician software disabled on boot on my system currently. Haven't really noticed any faster boot times since so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

8. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

The software itself does nothing related to the boot process so no, it doesn't make that aspect of things fast. But RAPID can help with application and data load time performance by caching it in RAM which is still leaps and bounds faster than any SSD on the market today - not even the fastest NVMe drives come anywhere near what RAM speed can provide.

Niner21 and DrLobotomy like this.
  9. northwoodsf

northwoodsf [H]Lite

I have it disable on boot. no need for it to be always on.

10. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so Rapid Mode should be enabled?...I always thought it was best to keep it disabled...if it's so important then why is the default set to disabled?

as far as the Magician software I always disable it from booting with Windows (960 EVO)...I open it when I want to run some benchmarks or look at the condition of the drive...if I enable Rapid Mode does it then need to boot up with Windows?

11. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

Nope. Not that it's hurting anything, but I'm anal about startup entries based on bad experiences in the past.
    It doesn't seem to actually do much of anything other than make sure your firmware is up to date. Everything else seems to be a one-time function that doesn't need that program running all of the time.

Related - anyone have any experience in using Samsung's NVMe driver vs. using the one from Microsoft? Different forum postings claim one or the other is better/faster. Anyone have a definitive answer?

AltTabbins likes this.
  12. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

I can try to dig up my benchmarks, but I had better performance with the Samsung driver. Better, as in the benchmarks said so, but it wasn't noticeable.

13. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

That's good enough for me. I don't even notice the difference between NVMe and my previous mid-range SSD. I was just curious if one was the better option just for the sake of knowing.

14. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Wasn't this the job of superfetch? Seems redundant.