Do you leave the game disc in your console or take it out before turning it off?

Do you leave a game disc in your system or take it out before you turn it off?

• Total voters

Saeid

Limp Gawd
When playing a game (that you know you will be wanting to play frequently),
do you take it the game disc before turning off the system, or do you live the disc in the console?

Question, if you do leave the game in even if you dont play it? Wont the constant waking the disc drive reduce life of disc drive?

I'm OCD about this. It's like turning off the A/C before shutting off your car... It doesn't make a difference but some people gotta do it.

i use to take them out not anymore however i have it setup so that even if there is a disc present it will go to the dashboard not begin the game i keep my 360 horizontally so that helps as well

Never had a problems leaving the disc in the drives of any of my machines. Nothing has had a premature death. My PS3 always has a cd, dvd, or blu-ray disc in it. My computer is the same way. None of my drives have ever failed.

I really don't think it would be the drive failing.
I think the disk would fail and get worn out before the drive actually would (seen it happen in CD Players).

However, I've only seen it happen when LEFT ON (continually spinning).

What's this about turning A/C off before shutting off the car? I know some people that do this and never understood why... Kinda like the "leave your car idle before driving" myth?

Never had a problems leaving the disc in the drives of any of my machines. Nothing has had a premature death. My PS3 always has a cd, dvd, or blu-ray disc in it. My computer is the same way. None of my drives have ever failed...Yet...Until today...

FTFY :p
I saw no mention of knocking on wood or anything...You're doomed

Kinda like the "leave your car idle before driving" myth?

Well that's not a myth, that's what you're supposed to do. The oil needs to circulate and it takes longer to do so when it's cold out. Even when it's warm you should wait at least a few seconds for the oil to go around, but it's really only a problem in the cold. This goes along with how you shouldn't give your car alot of gas until the engine temperature is up, it's hard on the engine.

EDIT: Forget about what the thread was actually about. I always leave my disc in there because it's protected on the tray (xbox 360) and isn't really going anywhere. If I have to move the console, however, I will take the disc out, otherwise it seems safe enough to me.

I leave it in there. Most of the time i will be playing the same game later, and im too lazy to get up off the couch. ( i still think the best part of my 360 is being able to wirelessly turn on/off the console! :p )

I leave the disc in my 360. Makes it easier as I can turn my 360 on/off from my chair so I do not even have to go over to it to do anything.

Plus lately all I have been playing on my 360 is Halo 3, so no reason to keep taking it out and putting it back in.

Yea but that is more necessary than not... when its cold its harder on your engine if you just get up and go instead of letting it warm up.
Well that's not a myth, that's what you're supposed to do. The oil needs to circulate and it takes longer to do so when it's cold out. Even when it's warm you should wait at least a few seconds for the oil to go around, but it's really only a problem in the cold. This goes along with how you shouldn't give your car alot of gas until the engine temperature is up, it's hard on the engine.

That's not what Consumer Reports says... Although I must say in the Winter circumstances change ;) To each his own, though... I'd just never heard about the AC thing before.

At any rate, have computers, Xbox, Playstation, Wii, I've never taken the disk out of anything and I've been fine (except computers- doesn't apply much there I suppose)

I'm OCD about this. It's like turning off the A/C before shutting off your car... It doesn't make a difference but some people gotta do it.

i always shut down electrical systems in my car before i get out, lights/radio/AC

reason? my driving instructor told me (and he has a point) that when starting the car, its a bad idea to have any non-essential systems (IE, anything other then the starter motor) loading the battery, once you got the engine running and the thing is generating power, then i switch on all systems.

I know its a bit paranoid, especially since i drive a new, well built car (05 mini cooper), but i like having a clearly defined power-up and power-down procedure, and if it saves me even once from not being able to start my car when my battery has gone rotten, then its worth it.

As for the console thing, i only take discs out when i want to play a different game, or possibly when i move my system (and when moving, i tend to forget)

jesus you just brought to mind a reality i know too well, my father is so bad about this, the buttons that turn the fan and AC off in every car they have owned over the years is completely rubbed clear.....as in he rubbed the writing off, and then rubbed it so much the black coating rubbed off exposing the clear base plastic underneath (on the ones that have the little green light showing through like Honda's) to the point the entire button just glows green.....

annoys me to death.....

Really depends on if I plan on traveling or not. If the console isn't going anywhere, I don't see how a disc inside would hurt anything. I could see that if you were traveling and a disc popped out of place could damage itself or other components... but that would be the only reason for me to take the disc out.

I do both, but most of the time I take the disk out first, because I often go back to the dashboard and check my friends list, maybe play a Live Arcade game, etc. I know you can go to the dashboard without removing the game, but most of the time I just eject the disk and put it away.

What's this about turning A/C off before shutting off the car? I know some people that do this and never understood why... Kinda like the "leave your car idle before driving" myth?

I turn mine off because I might not need it the next day and AC on makes your gas efficiency less.

I typically leave a disk in as long as I'm actively playing it. During lull periods (like all of this summer) I'd take out the disks and just insert a new game when I felt like it.
Still, I usually leave a game in while I'm in the middle of going through it.
On the PC - different story. Nothing irks me more than a PC game that wants the disk in the drive. I NO-CD every PC game have.

It's mostly a myth that modern cars need to be warmed up. As long as you're not going to be hitting the highway inside of 5 minutes, it's best just to start it and go and drive gently. If the temp is very very cold(-10F) then you may want to warm it up a bit first.

The only time I take a disc out is if I'm putting in a new disc or I'm moving the console.

Never move the console with a disc in it.

Never move the console with a disc in it.

If it's moving it a little bit (somewhere else on same shelf) this isn't that big of deal...

But I will agree to remove it if re-doing your theater system or taking the system to a party or something of that nature...
Way too easy to get something screwed up.

And FWIW... as far as the cars go... I think letting it idle is great if you do hard driving very soon. However a couple minutes of easy driving will accomplish the same thing (And Customer Reports comes to this conclusion as well...)

It's mostly a myth that modern cars need to be warmed up. As long as you're not going to be hitting the highway inside of 5 minutes, it's best just to start it and go and drive gently. If the temp is very very cold(-10F) then you may want to warm it up a bit first.

its still a good idea to let it idle until it comes down from the intentional higher-than-normal idle to a normal idle, or a couple minutes, whichever comes first

When the system is off (or even just the dashboard)...there is no spinup or laser light hitting the surface, so why take it out unless you intend to play a different game? It has less chances of being damaged by simply being left in the drive..

i leave the disc in, haven't been a problem since it's off.. it's off no doing anything. Both the Wii, PS2 and PS3 are like this most of the time. On my PC I can't stand the humm of the drive so I keep disc's out.

as for the car, letting the oil circulate for at least a min or 2 is a good thing, when cold, it's really tough for the oil to get to what it needs to lubricate and conditions can occur where if you put too much load or too much rpm that you will be oil starved in areas like the piston rings or potentially a bearing. The reason your oil pressure is high is because it's moving a lot slower when cold, and if it's moving slower, then you can't expect it to make it to key lubrication points under high demand situations. Even after you have some good flow, you still keep the rpm low until it reaches operating temp, lucky for me I make >200ft/lb off the idle... even on higher revving 4bangers, just take it easy.

People then wonder why they burn through their oil on higher mileage vehicles... I'm at 100k miles and I still get almost 90% of the 6 quarts I use of oil into the drain pan when I do my oil changes at 6000mile intervals...

I take it out then put the game down the front of my pants to keep it safe. i also unplugged the power and shove the cable up my ass to keep it warm.

All of this makes as much sense as taking the game out of the system and putting it into it's case when not in use.

Back