do you install

fightingfi

2[H]4U
The optional windows updates? It says i have 2 amd drivers otherwise if your not having problems dont bother basically?

The optional windows updates? It says i have 2 amd drivers otherwise if your not having problems dont bother basically?
I delay my updates until the very last possible second, until they are forced upon me, and then I let it do whatever rapey thing it wants.

Reactions: travm
like this
on the dells at work, yes. on my home system, no, i keep them up to date manually and i use DDU to turn off windows drivers updates.

I would check Device Manager and see if you actually have anything that is showing driver issues or using only a generic driver.

Windows 10 will automatically install new drivers when it actually needs them. That has nothing to do with the optional drivers in Windows Updates. The optional drivers are drivers where your system already has a driver installed for that device - it's simply giving you another option in case the one that is already installed gives you problems for some reason.

I try to get drivers from the manufacturers. If these are AMD drivers, I would definitely go to AMD to get them. I do the same with mobo and intel drivers.

I try to get drivers from the manufacturers. If these are AMD drivers, I would definitely go to AMD to get them. I do the same with mobo and intel drivers.

That's how you typically get the most up to date versions.

If you look at the dates, most of those optional drivers are old or unnecessary. I wouldn't install them unless you have a specific problem.

I let Windows install Realtek sound stuff because every time I've manually grabbed Realtek sound drivers and installed it messed up the audio in Hunt:Showdown .. But Intel NIC, AMD chipset, GPU .. I go to AMD.com or Intel.com to grab updates.

Depends. With some, I use the ones via Windows Update. Others, I install whatever the manufacturer driver is. It usually comes down to how lean the install is. For instance, if you install certain Intel drivers (WiFi/Ethernet/Bluetooth and such), they install themselves in 3-4 different directories, add useless icons to your control panel, etc. If you go with the one from Windows Update, the driver is a month or two older, but it has no fluff.

I always install the proper video drivers and chipset drivers. Everything else, I just roll with the Update drivers.

Back