Do you have to order new X64 media for each Vista Home Premium you buy?

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
As the title says, I'm wondering if you're forced to order new x64 vista install media for each license you want to install, or if the disk I ordered for a previous license work fine for this new copy of vista home premium. Thanks!

While technically the answer is yes, I really don't think any Microsoft "Hit Squad" is gonna come busting down your door just because you re-used the media for multiple installations with unique Product Keys.

Thanks for the reply, though the hitsquad isn't really my concern. I was wondering if since you have to give your product key to order x64 media, if they were then flagging that product key in their activation database to allow it to be activated on an x64 install....

What they'd be sending you is a simple Vista x64 installer DVD - it is not tied to any given key so that would never be an issue. The reason they ask for the key is simply to verify your "ownership" of a legitimate product as they'd prefer to not just send out 64 bit installer DVDs just for shits and giggles. No worries, you'll be fine.

My comment about it being technically a requirement was that you're supposed to have the media for each legit "copy" you have purchased, that's all. There's really on one x86 (32 bit) and one x64 (64 bit) installer DVD out there; it's the key that defines which edition gets installed at that time.

My recommendation is always to install Vista without using the key even if you have it and use the 30 day "grace period" (it's not a trial period by Microsoft's definition - Vista doesn't have a trial version so only legit owners should be allowed the grace period in the first place) to verify everything is working. There's no need to use the key during the install; when asked for the key, uncheck the "Activate when online" box and click Next, it'll complain and ask for the key, click No and continue on. The next step is critical however: you do need to actually select the OS that key is designed for, in your case it's Vista Home Premium.

After you've installed it and used it for a few days, or weeks (up to 30 days) then you can put the key in and do the activation after you've made sure the hardware is working and all the devices are supported with the latest drivers. Vista has a lot more than XP ever dreamed of having, but even so, a lot of stuff still won't be supported "out of the box".

Back