Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
So, EVGA responded with the narrative that they will waive the restocking fee if the card I send back fails their testing.

It probably doesn't matter if the return board caught fire on it's own... They would likely say it passed their internal testing.

Some have posted some other means for me to reach out to people or use their forums to launch a PR campaign to get a full refund. I don't want to do that. Hell, I think I'm guilty for doing that here already....

I'm sure some of you are desiring or me to shut up already... What do you think I should do? I don't have any faith in the current video card in my possession. Do I run it and deal with the oddities and wait until it dies or go to war with EVGA? Or ask them for another one to extend the saga?

So, EVGA responded with the narrative that they will waive the restocking fee if the card I send back fails their testing.

It probably doesn't matter if the return board caught fire on it's own... They would likely say it passed their internal testing.

Some have posted some other means for me to reach out to people or use their forums to launch a PR campaign to get a full refund. I don't want to do that. Hell, I think I'm guilty for doing that here already....

I'm sure some of you are desiring or me to shut up already... What do you think I should do? I don't have any faith in the current video card in my possession. Do I run it and deal with the oddities and wait until it dies or go to war with EVGA? Or ask them for another one to extend the saga?
Would you rather play games or try out new cards? I would just get a refund and put that towards the next gen card if it runs fine.

One last suggestion, try dicking around with custom resolution timings and see if that fixes things...

Custom Resolution Timings.png

o_O

One last suggestion, try dicking around with custom resolution timings and see if that fixes things...

View attachment 133895

o_O
The issues have all but disappeared on this card after a BIOS update. FurMark still does weird shit, however, I don't see it anywhere else. I haven't really been doing much more than watching video on it lately. The issues in games, however, don't exist yet. That's a good idea though. I will check it out. Thanks for bringing it up.

To add insult to injury, it would appear that I have to now pay return shipping for the card, in addition to them only returning 85% of my money. Seeing as the damn thing has run flawlessly (save for in FurMark and a couple oddities here and there) for a couple days I'm tempted to keep it and try my damnedest to kill it by over clocking the shit out of it (within it's OC & power window, so I don't violate the warranty) at this point so I can get a proper RMA and then tell them to shove it. Either that or I will just keep the damn thing, I did pickup the 5 year extended warranty on it initially. EVGA's RMA department is going to loathe me... lol. I just have to laugh about it at this point. Not much else I can do. It's paid for, what the hell, looks like I have a couple more RMA's in me after all ;)

Legendary Gamer im in the same boat as you. Three Zotac 2080TI AMP! and all stuttered :(
First one just stuttered and Shadow of the Tomb Raider crashed sometimes (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HANG).
Second one stuttered, crashed with bsod and artifacts.
I got the third one some days ago and guess what? It also stutters like crazy in nearly all my games. Doom 2016 and ARK crashes randomly after 10 minutes or more :/

Legendary Gamer im in the same boat as you. Three Zotac 2080TI AMP! and all stuttered :(
First one just stuttered and Shadow of the Tomb Raider crashed sometimes (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HANG).
Second one stuttered, crashed with bsod and artifacts.
I got the third one some days ago and guess what? It also stutters like crazy in nearly all my games. Doom 2016 and ARK crashes randomly after 10 minutes or more :/

I would have figured that the Zotac AMP cards would have already resolved these issues already. A couple things to try here before you start ripping your system apart and seeing if the issue is related to your hardware.
1. Check if there is a BIOS update for the Video Card, that might just resolve the issues you're having. Microcode updates resolved 99% of my issues on this last card.
2. Verify that you have a really damn good HDMI cable if you're pushing 4K at max settings. It needs to be 18GBPs rated (IIRC). If you're not using HDMI then never mind.
3. I'm sure you're using the latest drivers, if not, update them.

Aside from that I would say it's a video card issue. Before I jump to that conclusion, however, tell me a lot more about your computer: RAM Speeds, CPU and it's speed, Power Supply Wattage, Motherboard, Operating System, etc.

If you're using a TV of any sort as a monitor you should turn off Noise Cancellation (that helped me a lot on my TCL).

I would have figured that the Zotac AMP cards would have already resolved these issues already. A couple things to try here before you start ripping your system apart and seeing if the issue is related to your hardware.
1. Check if there is a BIOS update for the Video Card, that might just resolve the issues you're having. Microcode updates resolved 99% of my issues on this last card.
My system is rock solid and works flawless with a 980TI. I already checked Zotacs page and there is no BIOS update available. There are no BIOS related downloads at all.

2. Verify that you have a really damn good HDMI cable if you're pushing 4K at max settings. It needs to be 18GBPs rated (IIRC). If you're not using HDMI then never mind.
The cable is new, VESA certified and im playing at 1080p.

3. I'm sure you're using the latest drivers, if not, update them.
Yes and i tested several different versions.

Aside from that I would say it's a video card issue. Before I jump to that conclusion, however, tell me a lot more about your computer: RAM Speeds, CPU and it's speed, Power Supply Wattage, Motherboard, Operating System, etc.
Main system:
9900K & NH-D15
Asus z390 Maximus Hero non wifi
Corsair Vengance 3200 LPX 2x8GB
be quiet! Straight power 11 750W
Samsung SSD 850 OS / 860 Games + 2HDDs
Windows 10 1809 + Latest Drivers

Test system 1:
Asus z97 pro gamer
Corsair Vengance LPX 1600 2x8GB
be quiet Pure Power 10 650W
Samsung SSD 860 1TB

Test system 2:
Aorus Master
Corsair Vengance LPX 2400 2x8GB
Samsung SSD 860 1TB

If you're using a TV of any sort as a monitor you should turn off Noise Cancellation (that helped me a lot on my TCL).
My monitor doesent support noise cancellation i guess?

Last edited:
My system is rock solid and works flawless with a 980TI. I already checked Zotacs page and there is no BIOS update available. There are no BIOS related downloads at all.

The cable is new, VESA certified and im playing at 1080p.

Yes and i tested several different versions.

Main system:
9900K & NH-D15
Asus z390 Maximus Hero non wifi
Corsair Vengance 3200 LPX 2x8GB
be quiet! Straight power 11 750W
Samsung SSD 850 OS / 860 Games + 2HDDs

Test system 1:
Asus z97 pro gamer
Corsair Vengance LPX 1600 2x8GB
Samsung SSD 860 1TB

Test system 2:
Aorus Master
Corsair Vengance LPX 2400 2x8GB
Samsung SSD 860 1TB

My monitor doesn't support noise cancellation i guess?
Everything looks awesome, however, your power supplies might be a bit light.... Maybe. I tested it on on three 850 Watt Power supplies, one Corsair Gold and two 850 Seasonic Focus Gold's. That's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps with your system under full load the video card isn't getting enough juice. Several other [H] readers have stated that simply by upgrading their power supplies that they resolved their stuttering issues if I recall correctly.

Next time you contact ZOTAC, ask them if there is a new BIOS or a BETA bios. Their forums may very well have a link to a BETA BIOS in testing. When I was having a ton of issues with my Ryzen on the Tomahawk B350 I had to source all my BIOS updates for the Mainboard through the MSI forums. Worth looking into.

I am reluctant to tell you to change hardware (even upgrade your power supply), because it's an expensive route to go to run a test on a video card you believe should have worked, out the gate, as advertised... However, what I do know of the 2080Ti is that it's a quirky bitch and it doesn't like to play well with things at all. My 1080Ti didn't have the issues and I believe the 2080Ti has the same power draw, at least on paper, however, when it's boosting it's gonna draw significantly more juice. Max load on a 9900K is somewhere around 170 Watts, the TDP on the 2080Ti is 250? Over-clocked likely much higher. I'm just ballparking, but you might be looking at a 500 watt load for just the CPU and GPU (that's assuming you're running some kind of rendering with all cores maxed out though) before taking into account system board, M.2/SSD's, hard drives, RAM and system fans and such. I'm not sure what the happy medium for power is these days but I think I'm even running a little light myself at 850 Watts. Most of the guys on here are rocking 1000Watt or higher power supplies.

What I would do is, pull some of the components in your main system off line. Like the two hards drives, they're probably pulling 21-22 Watts each (regardless if the rated TDP says, say, 6 Watts each), instead of immediately going out and buying a zillion watt power supply and see if it has any effect.

If there's no BIOS update in sight and power isn't the issue, it's the damn card's fault.

Really, it all comes down to you. Testing hardware can be insanity inducing, listening to all the people that keep pointing fingers at your computer is either going to be helpful or just piss you off. I've been building systems for 25 years now and what I've found as things get more advanced is that to go with your gut feeling, stick to it, and don't second guess yourself. If you really feel that there's a flaw with the board and you've already done all the testing.... There's a damn flaw in that video board. Don't listen to the people on here that have never been hands on with your system. Only you know what's really going on. The value of the commentary of other readers here is that many times it helps us look at things we might not have thought of. Only one person on here was right and because of his comment I found a couple ways around my TCL TV doing odd shit with my 2080Ti.

Last edited:
Everything looks awesome, however, your power supplies might be a bit light.... Maybe. I tested it on on three 850 Watt Power supplies, one Corsair Gold and two 850 Seasonic Focus Gold's. That's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps with your system under full load the video card isn't getting enough juice. Several other [H] readers have stated that simply by upgrading their power supplies that they resolved their stuttering issues if I recall correctly.

Next time you contact ZOTAC, ask them if there is a new BIOS or a BETA bios. Their forums may very well have a link to a BETA BIOS in testing. When I was having a ton of issues with my Ryzen on the Tomahawk B350 I had to source all my BIOS updates for the Mainboard through the MSI forums. Worth looking into.
Contacted the german support and the guy didnt know about a new/beta BIOS but he will ask some higher level support members and also told me that they are not affected by the dying/artifact issues of the founders edition because they use a different type of RAM and the BIOS updates normally dont fix this type of issue. All three cards had micron RAM so i guess this guy is just talking bullshit.

I am reluctant to tell you to change hardware (even upgrade your power supply), because it's an expensive route to go to run a test on a video card you believe should have worked, out the gate, as advertised... However, what I do know of the 2080Ti is that it's a quirky bitch and it doesn't like to play well with things at all. My 1080Ti didn't have the issues and I believe the 2080Ti has the same power draw, at least on paper, however, when it's boosting it's gonna draw significantly more juice. Max load on a 9900K is somewhere around 170 Watts, the TDP on the 2080Ti is 250? Over-clocked likely much higher. I'm just ballparking, but you might be looking at a 500 watt load for just the CPU and GPU (that's assuming you're running some kind of rendering with all cores maxed out though) before taking into account system board, M.2/SSD's, hard drives, RAM and system fans and such. I'm not sure what the happy medium for power is these days but I think I'm even running a little light myself at 850 Watts. Most of the guys on here are rocking 1000Watt or higher power supplies.

What I would do is, pull some of the components in your main system off line. Like the two hards drives, they're probably pulling 21-22 Watts each (regardless if the rated TDP says, say, 6 Watts each), instead of immediately going out and buying a zillion watt power supply and see if it has any effect.
I dont really think my psu isnt powerfull enough but i gave it a try. So i removed the harddrives, dvd drive, disabled cpu turbo boost and reduced my gpu power limit to 70% via afterburner but it still stutters:

uDsTkdg.jpg

Last edited:
Contacted the german support and the guy didnt know about a new/beta BIOS but he will ask some higher level support members and also told me that they are not affected by the dying/artifact issues of the founders edition because they use a different type of RAM and the BIOS updates normally dont fix this type of issue. All three cards had micron RAM so i guess this guy is just talking bullshit.

I dont really think my psu isnt powerfull enough but i gave it a try. So i removed the harddrives, dvd drive, disabled cpu turbo boost and reduced my gpu power limit to 70% via afterburner but it still stutters:

View attachment 134991
As far as I'm aware the memory type on the 2000 series was never linked to the issues these video cards have. When they fail, the memory hasn't seemingly mattered.

In fact, I'm not certain many people actually know why these video cards have been failing. Stability in my opinion is generally related to both the silicon lottery and how far down the line the GPU is in production from the "test escapes" batch. If Zotac Germany knows something we don't, that's good information. However, I'm guessing that tech shouldn't have said anything. Because that kind of information is possibly misleading.

EVGA, for example, told me little to nothing other than confirming that my first two video cards were bad and failed testing. The actual confirmation from them took forever to come by and I'm pretty sure they regretted telling me almost immediately afterwards, because I was pissed after they misled me in earlier communications.

Pulling your hard drives off line was a long shot. However, if you dialed the card down by 30% and you pulled components off line, you can pretty much rule out the power being an issue. I think you have your answer.

Legendary Gamer yes you are right!
I got my 4th card right now but its a Gigabyte 2080 TI Gaming OC and its soo smooth. Not a single spike at all.
I still cant belive my bad luck. 3 dead cards in row?! WTF?!

Legendary Gamer yes you are right!
I got my 4th card right now but its a Gigabyte 2080 TI Gaming OC and its soo smooth. Not a single spike at all.
I still cant belive my bad luck. 3 dead cards in row?! WTF?!
Buddy, you're a trooper. My hat is off to you. Still hanging onto the thrid. Happy for you! Enjoy .

I have probably changed about a dozen video cards in my life and never had a problem with any of them. My last one was GB GTX 1080 Gaming which I used for about 2,5 years. Sold it when I got GB GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti GAMING OC 11G. Bad move because the 2080 Ti went bad after 2 weeks of use. And because GB repairs their cards I got it back after 40 days (holidays included). One thing I noticed was that they put some thermal pads on top of the memory or something. It got bad just after 2 days this time and went back to the seller. So almost 2 month without a card after paying so much. Obviously I am not buying anything from GB again (last 2 MB and VC were from them) because of this repair service system.

Reactions: blurp
like this
I have stuck with Asus and EVGA for most of my parts for the past 10 years due to warranty policies with them. Looking back all the way to the Riva series cards to now, I think only the 5000 series cards and the RTX line come to mind as problematic card releases.

I am still using my 1080 Ti. However, someone in my family got an HP pre-built system with a 2080 included. The video driver started crashing during GPU-intensive tasks, there was one incident where it would draw what looked like chicken wire on the screen, then the occasional BSOD, and finally, good old space invaders began to herald the BSOD.

HP is sending a new graphics card which the user will replace.

About 6 hours of gaming on 2080Ti number 1, no issues so far. No gaming on 2080Ti number 2, but many dozens of hours running machine learning models at 99% utilization, no issues with computation (haven't plugged in the display to see how it's working in games).

Counting my lucky stars here.

So I may have a dead 2080, I really hope it’s not the case.

I ordered a 2080 ftw3 January 3 and had it delivered January 10. Installed it same day and it was running great up until today. This morning I booted my pc up, did my usual morning web surfing and left my computer on to run errands. Come back and my monitor wouldn’t turn on. Reboot the machine, it posts and goes to windows login and then black screen. Now it won’t even post.

I haven’t had time to play around with it today but I will later on. I didn’t have any of the artifacting but I did get some hard lock ups on the first boot up a few days ago. I start my pc in the morning, it’d lock on the desktop, reboot and it worked for the rest of the day. Never had that with my R9. Sigh, I really hope it’s something stupid. I don’t want to go through the trouble sending it back.

So I may have a dead 2080, I really hope it’s not the case.

I ordered a 2080 ftw3 January 3 and had it delivered January 10. Installed it same day and it was running great up until today. This morning I booted my pc up, did my usual morning web surfing and left my computer on to run errands. Come back and my monitor wouldn’t turn on. Reboot the machine, it posts and goes to windows login and then black screen. Now it won’t even post.

I haven’t had time to play around with it today but I will later on. I didn’t have any of the artifacting but I did get some hard lock ups on the first boot up a few days ago. I start my pc in the morning, it’d lock on the desktop, reboot and it worked for the rest of the day. Never had that with my R9. Sigh, I really hope it’s something stupid. I don’t want to go through the trouble sending it back.
Unplug the display from power for 10 seconds, plug the display back in, and try again.

If people are still having issues... That indicates to me that the flaw likely requires a complete redesign of the chip. That's not going to happen. If someone can prove it, which I think will happen eventually, we might see another class action lawsuit suit against Nvidia at some point.

If people are still having issues... That indicates to me that the flaw likely requires a complete redesign of the chip. That's not going to happen. If someone can prove it, which I think will happen eventually, we might see another class action lawsuit suit against Nvidia at some point.

It sounds more like a Windows sleep issue. That can be driver or OS related.

It sounds more like a Windows sleep issue. That can be driver or OS related.
I wasn't referring simply to this, individual, instance. I'm talking about the entire enchilada of issues these cards have faced. There's been a pretty steady report of dead or dying cards on here each week. I and many others have directly encountered these instances, personally, as well.

Did Kyle ever manage to get ahold of a "space invaders" card??

I def wanna hear what that's all about etc.

OK, I'm sorry, I thought you were joking! That is the first line you always get from any customer service rep.

I am still using my 1080 Ti. However, someone in my family got an HP pre-built system with a 2080 included. The video driver started crashing during GPU-intensive tasks, there was one incident where it would draw what looked like chicken wire on the screen, then the occasional BSOD, and finally, good old space invaders began to herald the BSOD.

HP is sending a new graphics card which the user will replace.
HP now says they won't have the card available to send until March :facepalm:

If I'd known Kyle was still looking, I'd have tried to send it to him! (Are you still looking? Would you take a 2080 to add some variety to your space invaders collection?)

Ouch, that's not very good. Can you take the system back and just buy a new one

Don't reward nvidia and get a vII for a different play thing...

Because I gave my 1080Ti to my cousin and it was destined for the front room. So, in this case it will be faster than what's in there ;)

Is this the same 1080 Ti, destroyer of worlds? Seems kind of mean to give it to your cousin.

"My old 1080Ti founders will, literally, roast any card I place next to it (even in my high ventilation Ryzen system) it killed no less than 3 PCI-E audio cards I placed next to it. You could see the metal distress on their back plates from heat changing the mollecular properties of the plates... "

Is this the same 1080 Ti, destroyer of worlds? Seems kind of mean to give it to your cousin.

"My old 1080Ti founders will, literally, roast any card I place next to it (even in my high ventilation Ryzen system) it killed no less than 3 PCI-E audio cards I placed next to it. You could see the metal distress on their back plates from heat changing the mollecular properties of the plates... "
It is the audio card Slayer. You are absolutely correct. I gave it to him because 1. I'm an asshole & 2. Now it's his problem. ;)

Back