Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
Well, if it's manifesting the same issues on all three... of my systems. Then it's the video card. SO, by your logic I should run whatever replacement I get, exclusively, on the new system I'm building in my front room. Fine. Not sure how in the hell that's gonna matter if my lower binned video card is shit like the first three but, I am happy to oblige. It's essentially the same system, in my front room, as my den. 8600 vs 9600 cpu and only 16 GB of ram vs 32. Power Supply is supposed to show up today. We shall see.

This shit is utterly exhausting. None of the three cards I've had have the level of stability I would associate with a stable release of new tech. Dial things back to the 1080Ti era, the odds of receiving 3 bad cards in a row is insanely minor. I have to wait until the 7th for EVGA to respond anyway, they're on vacation according to their website. I have plenty of time to document the failures of the current card.

I am single, I have this inordinate amount of time to play games and such that allow me to study the output of the video card. I have never, in my life, seen this many issues associated with any video card I've ever used. For example, gamed on the current card flawlessly for almost 24 hours on Saturday. I was up til 6am. The issues manifested around 2am. Whatever the card is doing, it gives me a fucking headache, literally. Not because it's failing but because it's fucking with my head. The added strain on my brain from the glitches definitely is wearing my ass out.

I’ve had a bad GPU wreck other systems I tried it in. It’s one reason I replace a system in it’d entirety if it starts dying.

However, in this situation I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility you had multiple bad cards and your systems are fine. There’s been enough reports of it... including from Kyle himself...

I’ve had a bad GPU wreck other systems I tried it in. It’s one reason I replace a system in it’d entirety if it starts dying.

However, in this situation I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility you had multiple bad cards and your systems are fine. There’s been enough reports of it... including from Kyle himself...
I have no other cards in my system .

Probabbly a bad time for me to answer questions ATM. I'm tore up , lol. Been drinking for a bit.

Reactions: spine
like this
I got paid to test video cards all day, so I've seen everything happen. It's just that outside the retail stuff purchased, the rest that blew up, caught fire or just plain died were pre-production parts. Never have I seen production level tech fail this badly. Most of the time it really is low single digit percentage rates by the time production hits.

These days I have access to consumer level tech and enterprise level tech, and rarely do I see failures like this.

I got paid to test video cards all day, so I've seen everything happen. It's just that outside the retail stuff purchased, the rest that blew up, caught fire or just plain died were pre-production parts. Never have I seen production level tech fail this badly. Most of the time it really is low single digit percentage rates by the time production hits.

These days I have access to consumer level tech and enterprise level tech, and rarely do I see failures like this.
I agree. I have, never, seen a failure rate like this. I have never had a video card that gave me so many headaches, literally and figuratively. Now, I'm on my third and (for the most part) this one appears to be stable. However, I live on it. I spend 95% pf my free time in front of my monitor watching what it does. When it works, it does so very well. When it doesn't... I swear profusely, knowing I pissed a grand down the toilet o_O

4:20AM Update - Experienced a complete game lockup. Only one or two screen flickers and maybe a few artifacts too. It's stable until it's not. This is what the last two did (just with less frequency). I've been building computers since 1993... I have never seen this quantity of issues before. I firmly believe that a really good portion of these "test escapes" still exist in the wild and that the EVGA Black has an overwhelming quantity of them. I saw someone else on here had their 2080Ti Black edition crap out on them too. Not to mention the other people that had up to 4 cards fail on them. I know I'm not alone. I also know it's not my damn computer system. Though I will happily test the board on my other PCs as I had before.

Last edited:
My issue seems similar to Legendary Gamer, I started getting some artificating in games, then it started lagging a lot with reduced performance, sometimes locking up my whole system.
Eventually got to the point where no game would run without crashing or locking up the system.
I didn't experience the space invader issue and my desktop experience was fine.
Trying to run any benchmarks at this point would cause artificating and lock up the system as well.

This is a brand new build for me, after I got sick of these issues I pulled my GTX 970 from my old build, put it in my new build, and have had no issues even using the same drivers.
Just waiting for the Newegg refund to process now, really want to see that $1400 back in my account.

The annoying part is that I purposely waited for a non-reference card because I heard that those shouldn't have any issues. So much for that, there are a couple other reviews on newegg for my card with similar issues.

My issue seems similar to Legendary Gamer, I started getting some artificating in games, then it started lagging a lot with reduced performance, sometimes locking up my whole system.
Eventually got to the point where no game would run without crashing or locking up the system.
Trying to run any benchmarks at this point would cause artificating and lock up the system as well.

This is a brand new build for me, after I got sick of these issues I pulled my GTX 970 from my old build, put it in my new build, and have had no issues even using the same drivers.
Just waiting for the Newegg refund to process now, really want to see that $1400 back in my account.

The annoying part is that I purposely waited for a non-reference card because I heard that those shouldn't have any issues. So much for that, there are a couple other reviews on newegg for my card with similar issues.

Which card did you have?

Personally, I think the flaws are pervasive throughout the launch GPUs. I like to believe that given enough time Nv will hammer out the issues, but they might not and simply milk the current gen and then transition it to 7nm ... Now that would be a royal slap in the face but I see it happening. RTX with no issues on 7nm, 12nm RTX was a marketing test to see if people would shell out the money at the increased prices..

Sorry to hear about your issues. Same thing here, when I pull the 2080Ti all my issues disappear magically .

So far so good with my new MSI 2080 Seahawk EK...but its only been a week or two

So far so good with my new MSI 2080 Seahawk EK...but its only been a week or two
You're probably good, I have seen the issues manifest within a matter of days on each of the three boards I have had.

Happy for you!

Personally, I think the flaws are pervasive throughout the launch GPUs. I like to believe that given enough time Nv will hammer out the issues, but they might not and simply milk the current gen and then transition it to 7nm ... Now that would be a royal slap in the face but I see it happening. RTX with no issues on 7nm, 12nm RTX was a marketing test to see if people would shell out the money at the increased prices..

Sorry to hear about your issues. Same thing here, when I pull the 2080Ti all my issues disappear magically .

I think your 3 strikes (and counting?!) 'bad luck' here is more that you're now in the 'RMA loop' and so you won't be receiving brand new 'off the shelf' cards each time, it'll be someone else's previously returned shit 'refurbished'. :vomit:

I think your 3 strikes (and counting?!) 'bad luck' here is more that you're now in the 'RMA loop' and so you won't be receiving brand new 'off the shelf' cards each time, it'll be someone else's previously returned shit 'refurbished'. :vomit:

Yeah, I’ve been wondering how often they just send it out again hoping it’ll work in someone else’s system.

But we can look at history and see that we've not had an entire generation of a video card release die. It would be unprecedented.

The closest thing we'd have to compare is the Xbox 360 RROD thing.

2008 Laptop fiasco:
https://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/nvidia-says-significant-quantities-of-laptop-gpus-are-defectiv/
If you're the type to watch the late stock tickers, you might have noticed that NVIDIA's stock just took a pretty big hit, down 24 percent to $13.56 -- that's because the company just informed investors that "significant quantities" of previous-generation graphics chips have been failing at "higher than normal rates," and that it's lowering its Q2 estimates due to pricing pressure

Hmm, history repeating? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Well, that's just awesome... I hadn't even considered it. It makes sense though. So, if that is what's actually happening, I'm fucked.

It would explain a lot if they just kept shuffling the bad cards around.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
The problem with that is it just re-enforces my belief that the flaws were never isolated and corrected. I don't know if I'm getting a test escapes board or a newer batch that isn't affected by the flaws.

I said a while ago, I'm good for 5 RMA's. I will stick with it until I hit that not so magical number and then I'm asking them for my money back. How many lemons can they possibly send us? I'm pretty fed up with the issues at this point already.

Have to wait for the 7th, when they come back from vacation to get the 4th RMA rolling. Had a couple more glitches last night and some poor performance.

At least all my hardware is in for my new front room PC, that will give me a clean platform to test the next turd on...

It certainly isn't what happened with me and the Nvidia RMA. I got a brand new part.

But I can't speak for AIB's and a customer almost certainly has other issues going on after several RMAs, it would make sense to get them into the refurb loop.

It certainly isn't what happened with me and the Nvidia RMA. I got a brand new part.

But I can't speak for AIB's and a customer almost certainly has other issues going on after several RMAs, it would make sense to get them into the refurb loop.
Well that's heart warming. You must really like appearing to be the voice of reason on here.

Last edited:
Well, that's just awesome... I hadn't even considered it. It makes sense though. So, if that is what's actually happening, I'm fucked.

Oh, so you didn't know that's how it works?! :banghead:

Nvidia is different though, but that said, I ordered a 2nd Titan XP in 2016 on a whim and it turned out to be someone else's returned and (badly) resealed box. That went back straight away, never bothered getting another one, glad I didn't in the end.

But yeah, most RMA depts send back any cards they've refurbished first, obviously. What business wouldn't?

Oh, so you didn't know that's how it works?! :banghead:

Nvidia is different though, but that said, I ordered a 2nd Titan XP in 2016 on a whim and it turned out to be someone else's returned and (badly) resealed box. That went back straight away, never bothered getting another one, glad I didn't in the end.

But yeah, most RMA depts send back any cards they've refurbished first, obviously. What business wouldn't?

I just re-wired my entire rig, moved it, examined all my components and the oddities persist with screen flickering at least. I thought the 10' cable might have been the issue with graphical anomolies and wanted to rule it out. I'm using high quality 18Gbps cables for HDMI... The thing is, all issues disappear after I drop either my 1080Ti or 1080 GTX into my main system.

Regardless, I'm building a new system for the front room. If the issues persist on it, I will know I'm not crazy. They've been consistent across other computers in my house. On my Ryzen 1700 and my... 4790 that just had an SSD failure. I'm going to do one more build for the people here that insist it's my main rig that's the issue... Which I just don't see. It does it on that platform and I will have wasted a shitload of time in order to confirm what I already know.

As far as the RMA stuff is concerned. Perhaps, it's time for me to discuss refund options with EVGA and just buy a damn Nvidia Founders Edition 2080Ti. The 200 bucks I saved picking up the black edition wasn't a savings at all. After an advanced RMA and an extended warranty purchase I'm right up there anyway... Not to mention 3 cards and the gradual loss of sanity :eek:

How are the RTX 2070's fairing? I have one coming to me soon and would like to know what to expect.

I just re-wired my entire rig, moved it, examined all my components and the oddities persist with screen flickering at least. I thought the 10' cable might have been the issue with graphical anomolies and wanted to rule it out. I'm using high quality 18Gbps cables for HDMI... The thing is, all issues disappear after I drop either my 1080Ti or 1080 GTX into my main system.

Regardless, I'm building a new system for the front room. If the issues persist on it, I will know I'm not crazy. They've been consistent across other computers in my house. On my Ryzen 1700 and my... 4790 that just had an SSD failure. I'm going to do one more build for the people here that insist it's my main rig that's the issue... Which I just don't see. It does it on that platform and I will have wasted a shitload of time in order to confirm what I already know.

As far as the RMA stuff is concerned. Perhaps, it's time for me to discuss refund options with EVGA and just buy a damn Nvidia Founders Edition 2080Ti. The 200 bucks I saved picking up the black edition wasn't a savings at all. After an advanced RMA and an extended warranty purchase I'm right up there anyway... Not to mention 3 cards and the gradual loss of sanity :eek:

It wouldn't hurt to grab a certified cable for HDMI. There have been plenty of issues with those in the Oppo 203 thread on AVS. People swear up and down that their expensive $200 cables are fine, but then when they drop in a cheap certified Monoprice then everything works. The swapping of cards may or may not be a good diagnostic tool.. I've seen the same anecdotal stories there about the cable working fine with one piece of gear but not another. If you're running longer than (or less than, oddly enough) 6' then the problems are more likely. There were enough problems with cables not performing up to their rated specs that a certification process was put in place so Premium Certified is what you want. https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

There's even a dedicated thread for longer cable runs that's been going for a few years and is still active: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-...-support-4k-60hz-4-4-4-chroma-deep-color.html

If you can live with 8' then I recommend the Monoprice Ultra Slim version. The regular is fine and available in longer lengths, just a bit more bulky. All are cheap on Amazon.

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to grab a certified cable for HDMI. There have been plenty of issues with those in the Oppo 203 thread on AVS. People swear up and down that their expensive $200 cables are fine, but then when they drop in a cheap certified Monoprice then everything works. The swapping of cards may or may not be a good diagnostic tool.. I've seen the same anecdotal stories there about the cable working fine with one piece of gear but not another. If you're running longer than (or less than, oddly enough) 6' then the problems are more likely. There were enough problems with cables not performing up to their rated specs that a certification process was put in place so Premium Certified is what you want. https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

There's even a dedicated thread for longer cable runs that's been going for a few years and is still active: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-...-support-4k-60hz-4-4-4-chroma-deep-color.html

If you can live with 8' then I recommend the Monoprice Ultra Slim version. The regular is fine and available in longer lengths, just a bit more bulky. All are cheap on Amazon.
Typically, I use monoprice cables. These are not, however, they are certified. The switch from 10 to 7 foot had no effect. I bought four, certified, 7' cables and have two 10 foot certified ones. 10 foot is about the max for 4:4:4 chroma at 4k so I'm even better on the 7 footer. I don't think it's the cables. I'm about half way through my build of my new front room PC, I will be testing it on my 75" Samsung tonight. I'm pushing the video into a Denon 3400x iirc, That I picked up last year and flashed the firmware. So it's up to date. The receiver then corrects the signal before pushing it to the TV. If I still see issues on that setup, it's definitely the video card.

Edit: I appreciate the helpful commentary regardless if I already understood. I also just picked up a pair of monoprice certified cables for good measure. You got me thinking, and it would be a cheap fix if for some reason it resolves the issues. What the hell, I've tried everything else already, why not. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Typically, I use monoprice cables. These are not, however, they are certified. The switch from 10 to 7 foot had no effect. I bought four, certified, 7' cables and have two 10 foot certified ones. 10 foot is about the max for 4:4:4 chroma at 4k so I'm even better on the 7 footer. I don't think it's the cables. I'm about half way through my build of my new front room PC, I will be testing it on my 75" Samsung tonight. I'm pushing the video into a Denon 3400x iirc, That I picked up last year and flashed the firmware. So it's up to date. The receiver then corrects the signal before pushing it to the TV. If I still see issues on that setup, it's definitely the video card.

Edit: I appreciate the helpful commentary regardless if I already understood. I also just picked up a pair of monoprice certified cables for good measure. You got me thinking, and it would be a cheap fix if for some reason it resolves the issues. What the hell, I've tried everything else already, why not. Thanks for the advice.

I'm sure you already know this too, and likely why you bought a couple.. but every cable in the chain matters.

I am still looking to purchase a Space Invaders card! PLEASE! I will pay you full retail for it plus shipping costs.

It seems like that early batch of cards that had issues has largely been returned/exchanged at this point. Not seeing many complaints anymore.

It seems like that early batch of cards that had issues has largely been returned/exchanged at this point. Not seeing many complaints anymore.
I have contacted three people now that had one, but would not allow me to purchase theirs. Dunno....

But at least you'll definitely know. ;)

Honestly, if I were you in your position, that's exactly what I'd do right now. You've wasted enough time on this.

What's that quote? Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

But at least you'll definitely know. ;)

Honestly, if I were you in your position, that's exactly what I'd do right now. You've wasted enough time on this.

What's that quote? Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

I reached out to EVGA about this. They're really slow in responses right now, I think their main staff returns Monday. Kind of hoping I get a response.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at Nvidia's sale page and they don't have the FE in stock, they have a vanilla 2080Ti. Did they stop selling their FE cards? Because the one they have up there costs the same as the 2080Ti FE. Not that I'm gonna buy another card, but I thought about it... I must be insane after this experience!

I have a 2080 Ti FE. Bought at announcement and waited like everyone else during the delayed release.

I've had game issues that seem to affect other users.
1) Deus Ex: HR - There is an "office" area in one of the expansions that causes a game crash with minutes every time I was in certain areas. Others with different hardware have reported the same.
2) ARK - Has caused different BSODs.
3) Tomb Raider (the latest one) - I think this was finally addressed in the latest hot fix nvidia driver.

1 and 3 are driver issues. 2 sounds more serious. I read a thread about this possibly being a GPU firmware issue. Still waiting for a fix.

For all the skeptics out there that think it's my system not the video cards:

upload_2019-1-5_18-55-17.png

Well, for those EVGA Black 2080Ti owners out there, tech support just let me know there is a new BIOS for the card. So, now I'm all updated and testing everything all over again. YeAy!

I'm gonna have a helluva time trying to do apples to apples testing this damn card. The Nvidia drivers won't allow me to assign 4:4:4 chroma on my 75" Samsung.

I might have been able to do better cable management but not many places to cram it in my front room desktop .

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_151652.jpg
    IMG_20190105_151652.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 0
For all the skeptics out there that think it's my system not the video cards:

View attachment 133084

15% restocking fee. EVGA can go fly a kite.

I am happy I never bought another EVGA after they wanted me to pay shipping for my 3x 1080ti hybrids that failed.

15%. Hahahhahaha. I don’t see the legendary support people talk about, nevermind their software for their cards is usually half baked.

Thankfully the MSI 2080ti and 2070 I bought are still chugging along, knock on wood.

Last edited:
Back