Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
The drivers released the other day made a big difference. Also, the white screen tearing I was suffering at 4:4:4 Chroma disappeared. It looked like issues related to cable bandwidth and I had replaced the cable and dialed back to 4:2:2 to defeat it, now, finally, I enjoy it in all it's glory.

Less game crashes to the point I was able to game for several hours in an enjoyable fashion. Granted I was just hammering a heavily modified battletech session but it was stable with only one early CTD in 5-6 hours of game play. Not one crash every 45 min. Also helps Paradox/HBS patched their shit game stability as well.

Battletech has been rock stable on the base game, but you choose to run modified files and then bash HBS for stability. If you were crashing all the time then something is wrong on your machine or the mod, they did have issues with the menu slowing down and some hitching but most of that has been fixed. Glad to hear the new drivers are helping you tho.

Battletech has been rock stable on the base game, but you choose to run modified files and then bash HBS for stability. If you were crashing all the time then something is wrong on your machine or the mod, they did have issues with the menu slowing down and some hitching but most of that has been fixed. Glad to hear the new drivers are helping you tho.

The game was massively unstable after the flashpoint 1.3 update in vanilla which is where I spent no less than 60 hours of constant crashing on both a 1080Ti and my 2080Ti when it arrived. The 356 Meg or so patch yesterday seems to have largely resolved some of the issues.

I also run community mods that introduce stability in the game as well, which HBS has never addressed.

The mods I run that change gameplay are nothing more than mission tweaks for enhanced difficulty. I believe I'm playing at "Clanner" difficulty in flashpoint.

Vanilla or modded the game was unstable which points to HBS/Paradox . I encountered the same issues on three different systems (laptop, desktop, desktop). Issues were identical other to than the 4:4:4 Chroma issue I had with the 2080 Ti.

I will happily bash HBS for their dirty coding :cool:

I certainly would not discount the issues I have been experiencing as driver issues. All my other games run perfectly fine other than some strange 2-10 second pauses I experienced every now and then in Destiny 2. But I stopped playing that so no worries there! It's just peculiar that lowering the clock speed fixed the CTDs in that one game... on a specific level. Could entirely be coincidental. I'll give the new drivers a whirl.

I certainly would not discount the issues I have been experiencing as driver issues. All my other games run perfectly fine other than some strange 2-10 second pauses I experienced every now and then in Destiny 2. But I stopped playing that so no worries there! It's just peculiar that lowering the clock speed fixed the CTDs in that one game... on a specific level. Could entirely be coincidental. I'll give the new drivers a whirl.

After last night I have to dial back some of my enthusiasm. I also experienced a CTD again and, once again, I'm getting the screen flashes at high Chroma settings. Time to go back to changing cables and, like you, dialing down/in the clockspeed on the card.

I had sealed up my tower and i'm thinking it's a heat issue. Without a direct way to measure the temps it's just a "feels" kind of thing. The glass on the side of my PC was hot to the touch... The back of my chassis was also smoldering the GPU itself could fry a steak on it. I have pulled my fancy glass side door off for good measure. At least with my 1080Ti founders the waste heat exhausted aft, only melting any sound card I placed next to it...:cautious:

After last night I have to dial back some of my enthusiasm. I also experienced a CTD again and, once again, I'm getting the screen flashes at high Chroma settings. Time to go back to changing cables and, like you, dialing down/in the clockspeed on the card.

I had sealed up my tower and i'm thinking it's a heat issue. Without a direct way to measure the temps it's just a "feels" kind of thing. The glass on the side of my PC was hot to the touch... The back of my chassis was also smoldering the GPU itself could fry a steak on it. I have pulled my fancy glass side door off for good measure. At least with my 1080Ti founders the waste heat exhausted aft, only melting any sound card I placed next to it...:cautious:
Have you tried GPU-Z and seeing what your max temps go to?

How do you not know what temps are? There are multiple ways to accomplish that.

Have you tried GPU-Z and seeing what your max temps go to?

Thought about it, just being lazy at the moment. From an observational standpoint my system never got hot with the 1080 Ti founders, shit was on fire in it when I closed the case with the EVGA 2080Ti Black Ed. Almost anything metal on the case was hot to the touch.

I have temp sensor somewhere in the house I used on older PC builds, I have to dig it up. After this... I'm looking on amazon now for something that I can get good reading off of.

I have temp sensor somewhere in the house I used on older PC builds, I have to dig it up. After this... I'm looking on amazon now for something that I can get good reading off of.

<US$20 outdoor thermometer at Wal-Mart, if you've had all of your vaccinations. Just shove the outdoor component inside, and you get room temp versus internal temp on one readout ;).

<US$20 outdoor thermometer at Wal-Mart, if you've had all of your vaccinations. Just shove the outdoor component inside, and you get room temp versus internal temp on one readout ;).

I just picked up a Infrared gun for about 15 bucks. Has over 5,000 reviews. It's better to know what I'm talking about instead of having a bad case of the "feels". Honestly, I didn't survive more than a month dating a chick that always responded with one word "feels" descriptors. I probably sound like a dipshit not giving you guys any ,actual, hard data. In two days, that should be corrected

I just picked up a Infrared gun for about 15 bucks. Has over 5,000 reviews. It's better to know what I'm talking about instead of having a bad case of the "feels". Honestly, I didn't survive more than a month dating a chick that always responded with one word "feels" descriptors. I probably sound like a dipshit not giving you guys any ,actual, hard data. In two days, that should be corrected

The PC is likely full of temperature sensors that you aren't bothering to read. Nobody cares how the case feels.

GPU-z has like 8-10 temp sensors it checks. If it works with the 2080ti.

Honestly high temps shouldn’t cause instability. The card should throttle before that ever becomes an issue.

On the flip side one 140mm and one 120mm fan kept my 2080ti cool before I waterblocked it... so not sure what is going on with OP’s case.

Honestly high temps shouldn’t cause instability. The card should throttle before that ever becomes an issue.

On the flip side one 140mm and one 120mm fan kept my 2080ti cool before I waterblocked it... so not sure what is going on with OP’s case.
Thats part of the problem. Lots of should's, but does it?

140 and 120 just to keep it cool? Ouch. They really get that hot?

Thats part of the problem. Lots of should's, but does it?

140 and 120 just to keep it cool? Ouch. They really get that hot?

It was a 140mm in and 120mm out of my case. That was for everything, cpu and gpu. That’s not exactly a lot of fans...

I’d RMA it if heat causes issues. If the temp is within spec of what the stock BIOs lets you set it to you should never have issues because of it.

It was a 140mm in and 120mm out of my case. That was for everything, cpu and gpu. That’s not exactly a lot of fans...

I’d RMA it if heat causes issues. If the temp is within spec of what the stock BIOs lets you set it to you should never have issues because of it.
Ahh! I thought you meant the fans were for just the gpu. haha

Unless there is a problem with the BIOS or specs. :)

I updated my drivers to 417.22. Now the Columbia level has blocky shadow-looking artifacts all over the screen. It still only affects that one level.

Attachments

• hitman2_artifacts.png
    hitman2_artifacts.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
GPU-z has like 8-10 temp sensors it checks. If it works with the 2080ti.
I didn't get to do any monitoring of it last night as my cousin showed up to blast some mechs online in MWO, however, what I can tell you guys is that with the side panel closed, I have screen flashes and CTDs. With the side panel off, the system never gets hot to the touch and none of those issues ever manifest. That's been a consistent experience thus far.

So the waste heat the Black Ed 2080Ti dumps into that cooler master mid tower is totally the culprit. I got to play about an hour and a half of games myself last night with no issues so long as the case was wide open.

Ventilation is the issue in my opinion. I have 3 140 mm intake fans on it, a Arctic 120mm radiator and 2 fans on the only exaust port on the rear of the chassis and... That's got to be the issue . It can't dump waste heat fast enough and the CPU is getting cooled by a shitload of waste heat. Before the 1080Ti founders I have exhausted aft as it is a blower style. The dual fan evga is just cooking the components in the case with it's heat.

Time for a new case, I should have kept it in my bench tower, it had a ton of ventilation (cooler master squat , square tower with tiered components, drives and power on the bottom and board and cards on the top). I left my ryzen 1700 in there and it never had issues with heat exhaust.

Did you check the temps? Sounds like you have a decent amount of cooling, seems strange if that's the issue.

For me, I was getting CTD because of the memory overclock. Was working fine with 2x GTX 1080, but with 2x 2080 Ti it didn't like it.

After setting RAM to 2133, the problems went away. Later I tweaked the system back to 4133 but with a little more voltage, and it's been stable for weeks.

Did you check the temps? Sounds like you have a decent amount of cooling, seems strange if that's the issue.

For me, I was getting CTD because of the memory overclock. Was working fine with 2x GTX 1080, but with 2x 2080 Ti it didn't like it.

After setting RAM to 2133, the problems went away. Later I tweaked the system back to 4133 but with a little more voltage, and it's been stable for weeks.

I haven't OC'ed it yet. I will do some temp testing, case open and case closed, once I get that infrared gun. Should be here tonight. I will poke around in the software tools and look at stuff too when I have a chance. Stuck at work, so... gotta work to play. My CPU cooler is that 120mm Arctic one that got the [H] gold award some time ago, it handles everything CPU side fine. I didn't expect the waste heat to be insane off that 2080Ti. Honestly, blower style may be less efficient but at least they're not spiking the internal temps of your system up hundreds of degrees... I haven't had any issues with other dual fan cards in the past tho. I think it's the new case. It was less than a hundred bucks and It, like the CPU and GPU, was an impulse buy. Should have done my homework and found a case that rated well for ventilation (like all the ones listed on here (y))

Reactions: Mylex
like this
I didn't get to do any monitoring of it last night as my cousin showed up to blast some mechs online in MWO, however, what I can tell you guys is that with the side panel closed, I have screen flashes and CTDs. With the side panel off, the system never gets hot to the touch and none of those issues ever manifest. That's been a consistent experience thus far.

So the waste heat the Black Ed 2080Ti dumps into that cooler master mid tower is totally the culprit. I got to play about an hour and a half of games myself last night with no issues so long as the case was wide open.

Ventilation is the issue in my opinion. I have 3 140 mm intake fans on it, a Arctic 120mm radiator and 2 fans on the only exaust port on the rear of the chassis and... That's got to be the issue . It can't dump waste heat fast enough and the CPU is getting cooled by a shitload of waste heat. Before the 1080Ti founders I have exhausted aft as it is a blower style. The dual fan evga is just cooking the components in the case with it's heat.

Time for a new case, I should have kept it in my bench tower, it had a ton of ventilation (cooler master squat , square tower with tiered components, drives and power on the bottom and board and cards on the top). I left my ryzen 1700 in there and it never had issues with heat exhaust.

Download HWiNFO64.. I prefer the portable version, but it doesn't matter. Turn on sensors and be amazed at all the data points you'll have about temp, fan speed, voltage, power consumption for all components. It will even log to a file while you game so you can look back to see what was happening.

It may be temps, but if so then I'd say you have something dodgy. I am running a 2080 Ti inside of a 7L SFF case with a slightly underclocked 8700K. The only fans in the entire case are the GPU and CPU fans, plus the one in the PSU. It's fine, though not optimal.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Download HWiNFO64.. I prefer the portable version, but it doesn't matter. Turn on sensors and be amazed at all the data points you'll have about temp, fan speed, voltage, power consumption for all components. It will even log to a file while you game so you can look back to see what was happening.

It may be temps, but if so then I'd say you have something dodgy. I am running a 2080 Ti inside of a 7L SFF case with a slightly underclocked 8700K. The only fans in the entire case are the GPU and CPU fans, plus the one in the PSU. It's fine, though not optimal.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
I will take you up on the advice. Thank you.

The thing is, I don't know about having a dodgy card or not. Both my 1080 and 1080Ti are blower style. My old 1080Ti founders will, literally, roast any card I place next to it (even in my high ventilation Ryzen system) it killed no less than 3 PCI-E audio cards I placed next to it. You could see the metal distress on their back plates from heat changing the mollecular properties of the plates...

So, while I will do the testing, and use the tool you suggest I think the cooler master 5 case is poo on ventilation. I misposted the fan size earlier it's 3 120mm fans in the front the glass plate and the slots on it's sides at the front can't help, the only exhaust area I have my CPU liquid cooler sitting on. It's a 95 buck case. Should have gone full tower.

I can almost guarantee that once I seal it back up, I could cook a turkey inside it. Lol

I have messed around and shut down and rebooted the system multiple times since my last post. It's running fine. I even did an extended dusting inside while having it off and trying to nail down a case rattle. Also with all the new driver releases, I've had opportunities to shut it off and on again. It's not a temperature issue. Thing runs hot, no question about that, but after thermal cycling it for a month now, I'm doubting the "cause" for early 2080ti death applies to this configuration. Now if I can get them to fix the flickering problem in their next driver release for high refresh/60 hz monitor combos, I'd be happy.

I have messed around and shut down and rebooted the system multiple times since my last post. It's running fine. I even did an extended dusting inside while having it off and trying to nail down a case rattle. Also with all the new driver releases, I've had opportunities to shut it off and on again. It's not a temperature issue. Thing runs hot, no question about that, but after thermal cycling it for a month now, I'm doubting the "cause" for early 2080ti death applies to this configuration. Now if I can get them to fix the flickering problem in their next driver release for high refresh/60 hz monitor combos, I'd be happy.

The flickering annoys the shit out of me. Didn't do it yesterday, did It couple times today while I was bitching at Comcast about my gig internet running at 100mbps. Lol

Still waiting on the thermal tester, have to load the hwinfo stuff yet. Dinner time at the local pub lol.

My FE and zotac 2080ti's that I have on waterblocks are still going strong after 1.5 months. The only thing I have had issues with is the newest drivers were acting weird when enabling surround. Other than that, everything has been going good so far..... I got my GF a Gigabyte rtx 2070 that is just on air. I will give updates on that card too.

The flickering annoys the shit out of me. Didn't do it yesterday, did It couple times today while I was bitching at Comcast about my gig internet running at 100mbps. Lol

Still waiting on the thermal tester, have to load the hwinfo stuff yet. Dinner time at the local pub lol.

Just assuming your house burned down by now.

that's up to 1gbps

:ROFLMAO:

MSI Duke 2070 began hard locking and then giving me these space invaders;

sI1GbFv.jpg

Then refused to post. Have RMAed it and currently waiting for a replacement. Hopefully the replacement will work.

Don't remember seeing this many faulty cards in one launch from [H] users before.. jesus.

Looks more like Breakout than Space Invaders but, OMG, what is up with the quality control.

I guess the good thing is these cards seem to be failing soon, within the first day, so at least people can sleep at night if they've had the cards already.

Aside from the first RMA I did due to BSODs, the cards have been running solid for like a month now (even w/ OC) so I feel pretty good that they are working.

Last edited:
Looks more like Breakout than Space Invaders but, OMG, what is up with the quality control.

I guess the good thing is these cards seem to be failing soon, within the first day, so at least people can sleep at night if they've had the cards already.

Aside from the first RMA I did due to BSODs, the cards have been running solid for like a month now (even w/ OC) so I feel pretty good that the are working.

Yeah, seems like if you make it through the first two weeks you’re well off. I think I am around six weeks. I ran it non-watercooled and hot for two weeks on purpose.

Yeah, seems like if you make it through the first two weeks you’re well off. I think I am around six weeks. I ran it non-watercooled and hot for two weeks on purpose.

Knock on wood, but I'm still on my original Ti FE that arrived in the first bunch on 5 October.

Aside from the first RMA I did due to BSODs, the cards have been running solid for like a month now (even w/ OC) so I feel pretty good that they are working.

I did get the colorful space invaders that Kyle has a picture of in his 2080ti failing article but I was unable to get a picture of it as that would cause a reset and I didn't get to my phone quickly enough.

Hopefully my replacement card won't do the same thing. This is pretty ridiculous though

Back