Do you have an HTC One?

Warrior

[H]F Junkie
I just ordered mine last night, and I AM, SO EXCITE! :D:cool:

If you have one, tell me about it. :D

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rooted? ROMed? What ROM? OCs?

I can't wait to crack the OS apart and make this phone a beast!

Sound off!

My phone isn't rooted because Sense 5 is smooth as heck, and that the UI isn't shitty like the TouchWiz I came from (GS2). But I would like to root it and install a custom kernel, but I'm waiting for the BLE to be perfected in the kernel development community first. I actually use BLE for gadgeteering. Two of the things I want to most out of the custom kernel are swipe 2 unlock and logo 2 menu, where they would actually make the logo a button-ish. One of the most annoying thing about the phone is the unlock button being on the top; it's hard to reach. Swipe 2 unlock (aka swipe across the buttons) should correct that problem; I wish HTC would make an official update with it. And another annoying thing is that without a hard menu button, some apps do not make use of the full 1080p resolution by having the on-screen menu button take a huge chunk of the screen. Applications such as Angry Birds and U-Verse are a few of those. So the logo 2 menu would correct that as well. HTC should never have designed the button layout like this.

And, seriously, from what I've been reading, a custom rom probably won't make things faster. All you need is a custom kernel and overclock from there.

P.S. I also installed the "notification toggle" app to get the notification menu toggles (which evidently will not be needed in the next official HTC update).

Best phone I have used to date and have been using it as my daily driver for several weeks now. So much so, I wiped my Nexus 4 and am getting ready to sell that. Always kept going back to the Nexus 4, but since I picked up the One, I have had no desire to go back to the Nexus 4.

Came from a Note 2 to the Galaxy S4, but something about the S4 was just not snappy like the Nexus 4 and always ended back with the Nexus 4.

HTC One running stock Sense really is quick and although I don't use a lot of the Sense things like Zoe and Blinkfeed, there are enough (notifications, weather on the lock screen, camera settings, etc.) that I don't feel the need to root and run something else.

Nice phone but lacks one major feature which would keep me from buying it...that is it lacks a back case to swap batteries and or use a extended battery etc. FAILED PHONE

My thoughts exactly. I think the button layout might take a bit to get used to, but I like the simplicity.

But, I will probably be putting a more AOSP ROM on it, because I'm a stock Android kind of guy. And looking at XDA, it looks like they have the Google HTC One dumped and modded for a flash for the carrier phones. I'll be looking into that.

I'm a person that can easily look passed the fact that there is no battery cover/ removable battery. Because we all know what happens with those accidental phone drops, the battery and the door flies off making the drop way over dramatic. LOL, not that I'll be dropping the phone anytime soon, it's just an observation. My Nexus 7 doesnt have a battery door, and I find it great. The structral integrity of the device seems more solid. And this phone will definitely shine with that aspect. Not having a removable battery doesn't bother me one bit. I've used extended batteries, and I honestly don't even see a difference, because it's a brain effect that if i have an extended battery, I makes me feel i can use my phone more, thus making the battery die fast. If i don't have one, then I'll know that i need to ration my battery, lol.

Anyways. I'll try the phone stock for a week or so... If it ends up bugging me, which something tells me it might not, I'll flash it to something i prefer. My last HTC was the OG EVO on Sprint. It had Sense and it was... quite lackluster... But, not too bad. But, YES, nothing compared to TouchWiz... I don't get how people deal with TW.

From watching a few videos, I've seen enough of the new Sense UI that I feel confident that it won't be that bad.

Can't wait till next week... Should be tuesday I get it. I'm getting the Silver HTC One from T-Mobile. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus from Verizon. And, I'm ready for an upgrade... From what my colleages at my work say, the service with TMob at work is great, the person that sits next to me has a constant 4G all day. That's great, should be a nice transition. Verizon at my work is great, I hopped from Sprint for these reasons, the service was horrible. When you have to go outside to make a call, and get internet, you go crazy. What carrier do you all have?

Thanks for the replies guys. :D

Not trolling just stating the fact that it does not have removable battery thus that is why I don't have one. The question is ( do you have a htc one ) and no I don't because of that reason. Why don't you stop trolling and think everyone should love your htc one when in fact many people like myself would hate it.

Not trolling just stating the fact that it does not have removable battery thus that is why I don't have one. The question is ( do you have a htc one ) and no I don't because of that reason. Why don't you stop trolling and think everyone should love your htc one when in fact many people like myself would hate it.
You're trolling because the OP asks "Do you have an HTC One?" and you went off on a tangent about how it's a fail phone. Troll.

This thread obviously isn't for you, :rolleyes: You are contaminating it with your negativness. Thus, being a Troll.

I just ordered mine last night, and I AM, SO EXCITE! :D:cool:

If you have one, tell me about it. :D

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rooted? ROMed? What ROM? OCs?

I can't wait to crack the OS apart and make this phone a beast!

Sound off!

Back on topic...

I don't own one, but I've handled one enough to know that I love it. I agree with a previous statement that the lack of removable battery for me is a dealbreaker, but that aside, this is the best Android phone out today. The fact that they have a Google Play Edition is icing on the cake. Off the top of my head;

-loudest speakers with the best clarity of any smartphone
-top-notch display on par with the DNA and a notch behind the iPhone 5 (kills the Xperia and Galaxy displays)
-premium build materials
-great feel in the hand
-while some despise the lack of a menu button, we need more phones to drop it to force app developers to conform to new design standards. Samsung is being a crutch here.

I'm repeating myself, but the HTC One is, IMO, the best Android option out there for almost anyone. The few flaws it has come down to nitpicking. The battery issue is for a VERY niche group (of which I am admittedly one, so I must use an inferior phone due to the importance of this issue). HTC offers 32 or 64GB of internal storage when most OEMs still think that 16 is adequate (or even 8!). It's offered in carrier-branded or unlocked/developer, as well as Sense or vanilla.

But anyway, congrats on the purchase. You will enjoy it :)

I'm with Medion; the lack of removable battery is kind of a deal breaker for me, but we're definitely part of a niche group when it comes to that stuff. The One is definitely one of the (if not the) best phones on the market.

I plan on getting my wife a One when they release on Verizon to replace her POS Rezound. I don't (completely) blame HTC for the Rezounds lack of software support though, one should expect Verizon to totally abandon their carrier exclusive phones in less than a year. Moto has been the exception just because they're owned by Google, I think. The One should have much better support since the same hardware is on all carriers, I'm sure it will still be delayed a bit over the other carrier variants though, just as Verizon slow to update everything else on their network.

I swear, if it wasn't for us being able to keep unlimited data and their superior coverage, I would leave Verizon without a second thought. Those are literally the only redeeming qualities of them, but admittedly they're the most important for a carrier (after price) and I'm sure that's what they're counting on to keep us with them. I'm hoping they don't bastardize the One somehow like they did the DNA.

I plan on getting my wife a One when they release on Verizon to replace her POS Rezound. I don't (completely) blame HTC for the Rezounds lack of software support though, one should expect Verizon to totally abandon their carrier exclusive phones in less than a year.

I blame HTC. The Rezound was a Sensation variant, which capped at Android 4.0. Verizon contractually requires at least one major Android update for their flagship launches. They WILL delay the damn update, but they also force it. Case in point, the Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt (and AT&T Inspire 4G) were based on the global Desire HD, a phone that started and ended on Android 2.3. AT&T had no update clause, so the Inspire 4G also remained on 2.3. Verizon dragged HTC, kicking and screaming, into updating the Thunderbolt.

Anyway, that's my take. The contractual thing was revealed in 2010 or 2011 by HTC. It's likely but not guaranteed to be current. So I don't blame Verizon for the lack of updates, only for delaying the updates that come.

I blame HTC. The Rezound was a Sensation variant, which capped at Android 4.0. Verizon contractually requires at least one major Android update for their flagship launches. They WILL delay the damn update, but they also force it. Case in point, the Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt (and AT&T Inspire 4G) were based on the global Desire HD, a phone that started and ended on Android 2.3. AT&T had no update clause, so the Inspire 4G also remained on 2.3. Verizon dragged HTC, kicking and screaming, into updating the Thunderbolt.

Anyway, that's my take. The contractual thing was revealed in 2010 or 2011 by HTC. It's likely but not guaranteed to be current. So I don't blame Verizon for the lack of updates, only for delaying the updates that come.

Yeah, that may be true. The Rezound was a moderate spec bump (256 MBs more RAM, 300 MHz faster CPU and HD vs qHD display) over the Sensation though, so I thought for sure it should see 4.1 at least. It's ridiculous that it didn't at least get Jellybean when it has more than enough hardware to run it. The phone has been a complete lag fest since its ICS update and has a few outstanding bugs that need to be resolved. I should bitch to Verizon to let us replace it with an S3 or something at least. Half the time it won't ring when you call it and she misses a lot of calls. :mad:

The One will be a night/day upgrade for her. I can't wait until it's available to get her on a better phone.

Thanks for the input guys. I know I'm going to love it. :D I guess it might just be me, but i could care less about a removable battery, on this phone. It used to bother me, too, but with this phone being a full aluminum block unibody design, I feel the lack of a flimsy-ass battery door will be awesome. The structural integrity of the phone will be solid as a rock. A well worthy trade-off. :D

I should bitch to Verizon to let us replace it with an S3 or something at least. Half the time it won't ring when you call it and she misses a lot of calls. :mad:

The One will be a night/day upgrade for her. I can't wait until it's available to get her on a better phone.

Why stop at the S3 :D Just go for the HTC One.

Verizon/ATT don't replace phones with brand new models, unless you are swapping brand new models.

Sheesh.... Verizon. Hey T4rd, I'll have 2 Galaxy Nexus' available for purchase some time in the next week. One has been unlocked, rooted and ROMd, and one stock phone (Gorilla glass crack though). Guess which one was mine, ;). If you're looking to get a phone with a newer version of Android, look no further :) let me know.

AT&T swapped my Note 2 with a refurbed One, and my girl & I loved it so much, we upgraded her iPhone 4s to a One as well. She's running stock and loving it, I'm using TrickDroid 8 to get the added features 4.2 brings. Menu button, battery %, abaility to remove SOME Sense features...

Normally I'm an AOSP kind of guy. I usually use Vanilla Rootbox or PACman, but I know that losing sense basically kills the camera quality. Hopefully the GE based roms will fix this, so I can get back to stock android goodness.

Any idea on a release date for the Verizon HTC One? My wife is looking to swap her GS3 for it.

Normally I'm an AOSP kind of guy. I usually use Vanilla Rootbox or PACman, but I know that losing sense basically kills the camera quality. Hopefully the GE based roms will fix this, so I can get back to stock android goodness.

I'm an AOSP kind of guy too and I'll be putting a GE based Rom on it most likely. And from what I read the GE based phone has the great camera options cooked into the stock camera. But the special senseUI "Feature" options are excluded. Which I might be okay with...

I'm an AOSP kind of guy too and I'll be putting a GE based Rom on it most likely. And from what I read the GE based phone has the great camera options cooked into the stock camera. But the special senseUI "Feature" options are excluded. Which I might be okay with...

From what little I've read, the GPE's camera performs better than running an HTC One on CM10, but not as well as on Sense. Give Sense a try before you jump to a GPE ROM.

Yeah I've read that the CM10 experience isn't as good as stock in general. I don't think I'll try it. CM10 is nice an all.. But, this phone needs more then just plain ol CM10. :D

I posted this in another post of mine, but I'll post it here because it's related:

I ended up getting the HTC One. I went to the store and compared the iPhone 5, HTC One, and the Samsung Galaxy 4. I didn't care much for the S4. It felt cheap and if dropped, it would shatter or crack easily. I did like the S4 Active because it was water proof, had rubberized ends, and felt a little better in quality. The iPhone 5 seemed to have the best build quality and it was the perfect size I was looking for. However, while playing with the iPhone, I felt limited. There didn't seem like there was much I could do besides flip through the screen and open and close apps. The HTC One felt the snappiest out of all 3 I played with. I love the screen on the One. My only gripe is it's bigger than what I'm used to. I have little girl hands. If the HTC One was a little smaller it would be the perfect phone for me, but that's just me being picky. So far I have no regrets with the One and I do believe it's the best Droid phone out there today!

Small sticking point: Please don't call it a Droid. Verizon's annoying branding vs. Android, the OS.

With my somewhat limited background on social science and psychology, I can tell you the reason why you want a removable battery and the reason why, when you call phones without removable batteries junk/fail devices, you are, in fact, driving more sales to Apple iPhone, despite it not having a removable battery.

Why you want a removable battery?

When asked why you think not having a removable battery is a deal breaker, most responds with that they like to replace their battery due to a number of reasons, such as battery dying before the day ends or fear of the end of life of the battery. But when asked how often would you want to swap out batteries daily, not many if any wants to have to swap out their batteries. And when asked how long do you expect your battery life to last and how long do you intend on keeping your phone, the answer is often the same 2.5 years.

So what's the real reason why you want a removable battery? Everyone generally wants things hard to get, and not many likes things they've always had taken away from them. This is the case study of the new Coke debate. Before Coca-Cola replaced coke with the new coke, Coca-Cola conducted a mass survey that showed in a blind test that 55% prefer the new coke, and in tests that people were told which is which, 62% wants the new coke, something that people cannot find at stores. Which this kind of data, Coca-Cola replaced the original recipe with the new one. We all know what happened to that. What they didn't expect is that when you take away the iconic old coke, that's what people want instead.

So when all these oem took away your removable battery in their flagship devices, you are just hanging on to the one that still give you this option.

Why this option drives sales to Apple?

Useless complication makes simplicity more desirable. What kind of casual analog watches sells the best? The one that just simply tells time or the one that has the calendar day on that one must tweak once every two months due to months with 30 days and February? Timex did a survey back in the heyday, with basically the same $30 watch, one with the calendar day and one without. The one that simply tells the time was preferred 2 to 1.

Before when I listed all the questions and answers by most people on why they want a phone with removable battery, one of the most evident result is that this is a feature that many would simply rather not ever need. If the phone lasts all day and the battery last till you get your next phone, you are totally okay with never having to remove the battery. Therefore, this feature could be useless.

Why this would drive the sales of an iPhone? This is quite simply herd mentality. The iPhone is the most prominent smartphone. It is also often advertised as simple, and many often joked that it's so simple your grandparents can use it, which actually works in their advantage. In marketing, the way to get people to join your cause is by telling you that other people have or want it to. McDonald's says billions served. TV infomercials instead of saying, "Call now. Operators are waiting" have changed to, "If operators are busy, please call again." For all the useless complication you desire, you drive people to Apple due to its popularity. You samsung fanbois are your very own worst enemy.

I know this might not be written very well, but I'm not writing a case study/term paper for you folks. I do apologize for that.

P.S. There is a case-study on how the more a Mercedes-Benz salesperson try to sell you a Mercedes-Benz, the more likely you'll buy a BMW. It's somewhat similar, if I recall correctly - might be totally different conditions, don't remember.

Last edited:
The HTC One is an amazing device, but there is too much focus on one niche flaw. Let's try to move the battery discussion to THIS THREAD, and resume talking about the HTC One here.

Small sticking point: Please don't call it a Droid. Verizon's annoying branding vs. Android, the OS.

Yo dawg, you should come over and see my new 3D effects card! It's a GeForce!

The HTC One is an amazing device, but there is too much focus on one niche flaw. Let's try to move the battery discussion to THIS THREAD, and resume talking about the HTC One here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism View Post

Yo dawg, you should come over and see my new 3D effects card! It's a GeForce

You must understand that talking about the non removable battery in the HTC-ONE is talking about the htc-one. You make no sense because the battery is a important issue with all phones. Anyways someone that is a heavy user and demands service for a full day will not purchase a htc-one because of this major flaw.

Anyways.

I got the phone in, and it's better then expected. It's amazing. The build quality is top notch. I always felt my Samsung Galazy Nexus was built by baboons. This phone was build by people that definitely care about build quality.

I've just messed with a few things, but all in all, I'm very impressed. Can't wait to port my number tonight to make it my daily Driver. :D

I wanted the HTC One so bad I left Verizon behind and moved to AT&T but in the end not only did I get the best Android phone on the market but also better service.

Also if I were you I'd definitely root it and get the Android Revolution 11.0 HD rom. Its the stock rom but with a TON of tweaks. Faster performance INSANELY better battery life and more options. Just an all around better phone with that rom. You should also look into LMT Launcher to get pie controls. Sick phone now.

I came from an iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. iPhone is an awesome phone but software is very outdated.

Here is the link the rom I'm talking about. They are up to 11.5 now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183023&nocache=1

Last edited:
Rooting is definitely in my future. :D

I've been at work all day, I've only gone as far as put ADW EX Launcher on it. I've been checking out the ROMs and they all seem pretty damn sweet. I'm looking for an OC'able Google Edition Rom with tons of goodies :D

Do you like blink feed? I went with the Google Play edition rom and found myself missing the blink feed feature. haha Also I feel like the Google Play edition is just missing a lot of stuff. I don't know if I went for a pure android experience I would definitely get one of the Nightlies roms.

Someone said the screen is a notch behind the iPhone 5? Lol wut?! The ppi is far greater than the iPhone and I just came from an iPhone 5 and this screen is definitely better.

lol, people say a lot of things... ;) This screen is, for lack of a better term, fucking amazing. Better then anything out there. The truest colors I can imagine.

And, honestly, I didn't give Blink Feed the time it needed to get into it. But, from what I used from it, it seemed to be a pretty cool concept.

I'm currently in the process of configuring a flash of The Android Revolution ROM, as suggested above, It's a sense rom, so it has Blink Feed as well, so far so good!! I'll be putting ASW EX Launcher on it, to get me out of Sense 5 as much as I can, though. :)

Last edited:
Oh I've used pie controls on a few other roms with other phones, it's nothing new. Not a big fan of it. :-/

I ordered the google edition htc one now just playing the waiting game :/ wish it came in black though, I think the black is soooo sexy

In response to the thread title only: No, I have an iPhone 5.

The Camera is great... I just took a nice Macro shot for a FS/T Thread I just posted, and I'm impressed. No flash, just a desk light. :D

bitspower.jpg

Back