Do you have an ATT phone and use ATT Visual Voicemail?

It's not available on a non-ATT branded phone?
I should be able to get you a copy today.

edit: just uploaded that version I have. I could email it to you, just pm me your email address

edit2: looks like apkmirror already approved and listed the one I uploaded.

Last edited:
It is not. Gplay reports that it's not compatible with my device. It's a ZTE Axon 7, so it's not surprising. I have two sims in my phone and now thanks to you I have the latest version of the att vvm app and with the t-mobile vvm app can get my voice mails for both lines the same way.

Thank you very much for your help I appreciate the time you spent on this.

OH well this sucks. In order to setup the visual voice mail I have to disable the first Sim. Then after its setup I can enable the first Sim. However, with the first Sim enabled, every time the application closes and opens reports that the Sim has changed and I lose the ability to receive voice mails. But as long as the app is active its fine.

So that's a bit upsetting. I wonder if theres anyway to modify a config file to make it stop the second check.

Sounds like the data connection is defaulting to SIM 1, which I presume is your TMobile SIM?
For funsies, try putting ATT SIM in 1 and TMobile in 2, and see if it works.
That would verify.

Just swap to Google Voice or Youmail. I know it's not the ideal solution, but it will fix your issues. Personally, I prefer GVoice, free voice to text transcription and no ads.

Sounds like the data connection is defaulting to SIM 1, which I presume is your TMobile SIM?
For funsies, try putting ATT SIM in 1 and TMobile in 2, and see if it works.
That would verify.

OK. I ran some tests.

Scenario 1: Tmo sim in tray 1 and ATT sim in tray 2.
Activating the ATT visual voice mail app will send a text message to the ATT server.

1. With both sims enabled and data active on TMO, the app will send a text with the ATT sim but include the TMO sims phone number in the message. Activation fails.

2. If I disable the TMO sim, it will send the text with the ATT sim and include the ATT number. Activation is successful.

3. If I leave the TMO sim enabled but change the data connection to ATT the same situation occurs as in 2. Activation fails

Scenario 2: Tmo sim in tray 2 and ATT sim in tray 1.

1. With both sims enabled and data active on ATT, the app will send a text with the TMO sim and include the TMO number(now in tray 2) and complain that the service is unavailable. Activation fails.

2. If I disable the TMO sim, and attempt activation, the app activates successfully.

3. Switching the data connection has no effect.

For whatever reason its only lets me use the VVM app for whatever sim is in tray 1.

EDIT: I figured it out. There is a setting that controls which sim is used by default for calling. There are three options. Tmobile, ATT or Ask Every Time. Depending on what I select in this option, it will drive the number the VVM app uses in the text message to activate itself. This also effects how the VVM app responds after activation when its accessed. If TMO is selected then the TMO VVM app works, if I start the ATT app it complains. Change the selection to ATT, the app starts no problem. This also explains why in scenario 2, test 1 had the result it had. The phone new the sim moved trays but kept the setting (TMO)

I will stick to using the Tmobile VVM app as that is my personal phone and i'll try google voice for the other.

Just swap to Google Voice or Youmail. I know it's not the ideal solution, but it will fix your issues. Personally, I prefer GVoice, free voice to text transcription and no ads.

I used to use google voice for voice mail but then stopped. Thanks for reminding me, it may be a good solution to the problem.

Last edited:
Back