Do You Have a Case on Your Smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 332 63.7%
  • No

Votes: 157 30.1%
  • Other - Explain Below

Votes: 32 6.1%

• Total voters
I just use the bumper from google on my nexus 4. So far I've dropped my phone at least 15 times at around the 3 foot level onto hard surfaces such as wood floors and cement and stone tiles. No breaks or problems in 2 years.

I also use screen protectors because I work with granite and fingers get dirty with fine grains of quartz, stone and diamond. It took 1 week before I scratched my old phone and I've not had the guts to see if the newer version of gorilla glass makes a difference, my guess is no considering my screen protectors are scratched to hell.

I keep my smartphone in a lined leather sleeve.

Phone from work: no case

Personal phone: expanded battery, came with rubber replacement back that has a lip that keeps the screen from impacts when dropped.

UAG on everything. It's survived purposeful drops just to show people that it's badass. Rubber everywhere.

Poll for smart phones and people without one.. vote.../facepalm

Otterbox for all my phones because shit happens. I've never dropped my phone personally, but idiot coworkers have raked it off my desk and when you have young kids, well things just happen. It has paid for itself many times over.

Still rocking a galaxy nexus.. yep still works and looks perfect.. thanks Otterbox. The case? Looks less than perfect fit obvious reasons. Actually I might be forced to upgrade my phone because I can't find another case at this rate.

Last edited:
Two phones, one for work, one personal.
Work bought a Lifeproof for the iPhone they gave me.
My Nexus 5 has been naked since the day it was born.

Yes.
I have large hands, and these tiny phones slip out all the time w/o a case.
Also:
Otter Box is THE best case mfr.

Yes, I just feel it's safer to have one.

When I bought my smartphone, I ordered the case and a screen protector along with it. I wouldn't be using a new phone without a case.

Razr Maxx here. No case. I just like the raw feel of the phone in my hand. And you can tell by all the dings and scratches on the edge of my phone. The glass face is surprisingly still pretty good.

All of my i-Phones have had a Lifeproof as I work in a water park and the phones somehow gravitate to the pools!

Asus Padfone S here, first ever smartphone, have a cover that allows it to stand up.

Probably planning to get one for the pad addon

Naked here, and naked for the last several product cycles. After performance and display, "hand feel" is my biggest deciding factor. And that (usually) goes right out the window when you slap a case on it.

I ran all of these guys naked and didn't take any particular care with them, and most survived their six months to a year tenure as my daily drivers just fine, front pocket carry.

I was a bit concerned about the aluminum M7 but it did just fine (silver, a few slight scratches you had to look for, but no gouges). The One M7 also has the award for my longest daily driver, bought it in April 2013 and just upgraded to the M8 in late November 2014. It's still an 8/10 in appearance.

HTC One M8
HTC One M7
Nexus 4
HTC One X
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy S2
Motorola Atrix
Samsung Galaxy S
Nexus One
Motorola Milestone (GSM Droid)

I should also note that none of those phones were on a subsidy plan. I buy mine unlocked. And I don't bother selling them when I retire them, they're used as backups or gifted to family, so I'm less concerned about keeping them looking pretty than somebody wanting to recoup some of their money might be.

I hate cases. I dont go out and shop for the best phone, which includes its size, and then stick it inside giant box.

Knock on wood, but the last phone i broke was an old flip phone that sat upon while open.

My children on the otherhand, they dont get cellphones if they are not going to lock them in a otterbox or some other enhanced protection device.

work blackberry so don't care lol, they handle drops good and if not... not my problem

Spigen Slim Armor on my Galaxy S5.
It makes it feel like a phone, and it's easier to grip. I don't like the feel of it otherwise.

I never really liked the idea of buying a sleek and sexy phone just to cover it up with an ugly/bulky cover. If that's the "case" then does anyone really care about how a smart phone looks? I imagine these companies put a lot of money into designing how the physical phone looks.

I guess for me it's like buying a sports car and covering it all up with ugly rubber/plastic to protect it. Your car is worth more than your phone(most likely) and you get a new phone every 2 years or so. Just doesn't make damn sense.

Poor analogy. How often do you drop or knock your car off a table and break it?

Poor analogy. How often do you drop or knock your car off a table and break it?

Door dings by careless people in tight parking spots? Or people who parallel park using the "braille" method? Every couple of weeks.

I would argue that my poor car gets more beaten up by the environment and other people than my phone ever does.

On my Galaxy S5 I use the Samsung made S view case. It adds a couple of convince features and protects the phone very well. I usually don't like to spoil the look of the phone but since this came from Samsung it fits and works perfectly while looking good to boot.

Yep. Otterbox Defender on my old HTC Inspire 4g saved me from dozens of falls on concrete and asphalt. Mostly due to me catching the edge of the holster and breaking off the clip more than once. Otterbox was awesome and always replaced them under warranty, though, when I had issues.

Unfortunately Otterbox doesn't seem to make cases for my Nexus 5, so I have a cheapy one I bought off of Amazon. Just broke the clip on that one last month (After a year, so I've learned to be more careful since it's not an Otterbox) so I bought another one that looks almost identical, with the hope that the holster will work for both the old and new case.

never had a problem with phones.

I run my razor max hd without a case. does just fine.

I lije feeling the phone as the manufacturer intended. Why cover up the nice metal edges on my note 4?

HTC One M8 here, definitely always used slim TPU cases from Cruzerlite.

I see a number of co-workers of mine with still functional but cracked Gorilla Glass and then my boss has complained numerous times how many phones he's had to replace in the last year. Yeah, I have a protective case and I'm very cautious.

Galaxy S4 with Otterbox and a Zagg clear film on the screen.

Pretty ugly case, but I break stuff so I'm cautious.

I've always used a case on my cell phones as its cheap insurance. Using a Platinum case with my HTC One M7.

My GS5 has an Otter Box case.
Do I like how much bigger it makes it? No.
Have I accidentally dropped my phone onto bare concrete at work? Yes.
As a mechanic, do I jam my phone into hot/oily nooks and crannies to photo document issues? Yes.
Is it worth having the case? For me it is.

If the stupid Samsung camera lens didn't poke out and keep me from laying it flat I wouldn't need one.

iPhone 6 - Lifeproof Fre' - 64GB

Love this case! Taken it snowboarding, fishing (dropped on the ramp in a foot of water, no leaks) hiking, and a two year old bangs it around all the time. Works like a champ, for 70$ I consider it my insurance policy.

Back