Do You Have a Case on Your Smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 332 63.7%
  • No

Votes: 157 30.1%
  • Other - Explain Below

Votes: 32 6.1%

• Total voters
Just a simple silicone one, nothing fancy since I would like some protection, but don't want the bulk of a big case. I haven't had a broken phone anytime in recent memory. My friends won't go without one though, since they've both dropped phones and broken screens.

Both my son and I have a nice inexpensive rubber case for our Moto G (2014) phones. He drops his phone all the time (it seems), and it had protected it well. I also like that our cases have kickstands, which are nice to use with the dual speakers on these phones.

I have a cheap bumper cover for my Galaxy Note 3. When I used it the cover would get hung up on my leather wallet and make it hard to get it out of my pocket so I go without it now.

I voted other.

When I'm at work its not in a case but in my belt clip and used naked.

when I'm at home the belt clip is off then it goes into a case.

So its yes and no for me.

Cheap silicone one that Verizon sold when the LG G2 first came out. Wanted something else but at the time no one else made anything decent. Sort of forgot about it since then. The silicone is doing fine and the phone's survived a few drops. ;)

I used to always begrudgingly have a case on my phone.

I usually hate them, as they add bulk, and I hate bulk. I want my phone to be as slim as possible and fit comfortably in my pocket (I don't wear cargo pants)

I tend to like high spec phones with big batteries, so they are going to be bulkier than average to begin with, and adding a case just makes this worse.

Luckily enough for me, I have found the Motorola Droid Turbo to be very resilient to damage, especially with the ballistic nylon backing, so I have been able to skip it this time round.

I do - however - keep a screen protector on mine.

Nope.

But I'm curious.... Why are you polling for this, Kyle?

Are you considering making smartphone cases?

Trident Aegis on Nexus 5 checking in.

It's so good got couple more for friends. Nexus 5 and Moto G.

I drop my phone constantly, I don't care anymore.

No case

Whenever I buy a new phone I get a case and eventually end up ditching it shortly after for various reasons.

Most of the time its due to comparability with chargers or mounts. I have yet *knock on wood* to physically break a phone or scratch it in a way that required it to be replaced. My two last phones lasted me 3 years a piece before I upgraded for software reasons.

Last edited:
I have a case on my phone, but it doesn't protect. So other.

It's primary purpose is to just give me something else to look at.

Dot View on the M8.

I quite using cases a long time ago. They bulk up the phone and in one instance caused one to overheat.
I am now in the mindset, if the manufacturer can not engineer a product that can not stay together in its own skin, it is not worth having. It is a portable device and should be built as one.
My last phone was a tank. The Moto Droid with the kevlar backing. I dropped that in my shop, hit the arm of one of my lifts, slid under a car, out the other side, and was stopped by an anvil. No I'm not making that up, it actually hit our anvil. Still worked after that.
Now I have a Galaxy 5. I don't think it would survive the same scenario but it is water resistant and so far it is still working.

Yes and no. I have a Note 3 and I have the Folio? Case, it has a window and its a back to it.

Doesn't provide much protection and it accidentally activates the window all the time.

Yes. Although I'm surprised no-one has made a phone that lacked a case period, where the shell IS the case. Completely swappable and replaceable. Take the S5 for example, if they stripped the back cover and side rails, you'd have the chassis of the phone. The buttons would just be nubs to interact with the case buttons. The jacks would be extended out slightly to get a good fit. If engineered correctly, you could get precision cases for people to wear bare bones but can be swapped out.

Other -

I go with a skin for the back and screen protector for the front. Phones are bulky enough as-is, and I buy them with cash then go for a month to month plan because it is vastly cheaper than a 2-year contract. Because of this I also use my phones until they are totally dead. I've continuously had a cell phone since 2000, but have only had 4 phones. My current phone is an iPhone 4s and I'll hang onto it for at least one more year.

iPhone 5 Body Glove Tactic case with separate screen protector. Slim, lightweight case that was unfortunately discontinued.

Not anymore. I started off using an Otterbox case but after awhile it just got to feel too bulky. I took it back off so it fits in my hand and pocket better. Just don't drop the sombitch dude.

Nope.

But I'm curious.... Why are you polling for this, Kyle?

Are you considering making smartphone cases?

I was about to ask why as well...

It boggles my mind the number of people I see with jacked up cracked phones... and no cases on them. I ask what case they had when it broke and they say none... And I cannot fathom why THEY DON'T USE CASES at least SOMETHING!? I get a little angry over broken things.

Never broken a phone, don't use a case, phones are big enough in my pocket as-is without adding the bulk of a case.

Other - I use a leather pouch/holster to carry my phone, no case or screen protector, too bulky. Have done so since about 2006 with 3 phones. 1st one had a little ding in the bottom corner when it was finally retired, 2nd had a few scratches nothing major.

No. It defeats the purpose of having a slim, sleek, good looking phone. Replacement parts are cheap enough to not bother with a case.

I replaced my snap on case and my traditional wallet recently with a wallet style case. One less thing to carry is quite nice.

Yes, have one. No, don't like it. They void the warranty if any of the corners look like they hit the ground, so I use it just in case. Might take it off after the warranty expires.

Bought an Otter Box but don't use it.

Droid Turbo with Kevlar Case Back and a sheet of Guerrilla Glass for scratches, the Turbo has a factory one-time replacement on the screen so I can afford one oops, maybe.

No. I get insurance instead. That way my phone is thinner, I don't have to worry about plugging things into it (like when an audio cable doesn't fit the case's hole,) the screen is responsive, I don't have to open a folding case, etc. etc. etc. I could go on a bit more. Then, if I smash up my phone, I pay the deductible and get a new one. I hate phone cases.

No, but if there was a [H]ardocp / [H]ardforum case for a Samsung Galaxy S4 I would have one. :)

Both my work phone and my personal phone have thin "gel" cases. Just enough to provide some light shock resistance.

None. I like the slimness of of my Nokia Lumia 820. All the cases or "protectors" make it too bulky.

Back