Do you have a case for your phone?

Do you have a case for your phone?

• Total voters
No. I don't really like cases. They make the phone too bulky (note 4).

I have yet to damage a phone. I usually get a new phone annually and keep my old one as a spare in case something happens.

I used to have a lifeproof case on my iPhone 4s. It was cool to have a waterproof and drop proof phone but I didn't need it really and it just re-affirmed for me that I like to experience my phone the way the manufacturer intended.

PS. I've arrived at the same conclusion regarding screen protectors. I don't care for them and experience has proven that I don't need them on these modern smartphones.

Always have a case. Body Glove DropSuit is my favorite. Every iPhone I've owned has worn one.

Don't like bulk so I have thin translucent cover on my Notes for scratch resistance.

I have Qmadix cases on all my and my families phones. They are thin-ish, but survive 6.5 foot drops without issue.

I have a case, mainly to differentiate mine from the wife's.
They are the thinnest cases I can find (Ringke, Nexus 4).

If my phone was different, I'd consider those clear film protectors if the phone was slippery. Otherwise I would like to go without - Any case at all is exceedingly noticeable.

Yes but there's a bit of an odd circumstance here.

This is my first phone (LG G2 - LS980) with a case, only bothered with the case due to the fact that the glass was starting to come unglued and I didn't want to send it back and have the thing potentially wiped.

So... The case is effectively holding the screen in place in one spot. If I didn't have that particular problem I wouldn't have the case.

Yup, got this Supcase on my M8 and it has already saved it a handful of times. It even fell from over 20 feet twice (on a roller coaster and on a local carnival ride) with no damage, plus at least a few tumbles out of my hand while I was trying to carry too many things. Doesn't add much bulk at all and provides more than enough protection from drops. Makes me think all these people with Otterbox's spent way too much for a bulky-ass case with overkill protection unless they plan on running over their phone with their cars a lot or something.

I also have this Nilkin hardened screen protector on my screen too and like it better than the stock Gorilla Glass in terms of feel and look (due to oleophobic properties which makes the display seem clearer/brighter).

I resell my phones every year or so, so I want to keep them in as good condition as I can get for better resale. Plus I think it's just crazy to carry a fragile $600+ device without some sort of protection, unless you like paying high insurance deductibles or replacement phones at full price. I don't care how careful you are with your phone, shit can and will happen eventually (cue someone replying who has never broken a naked phone in 15 years :p).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, saved the phone many times. Since my phones are covered I never cared what they looked like except the screen.

No, but I have a "skin" on the back. it's got all kinds of marks on it too, glad they're not on my phone. The rest of my phone is fucked....except the screen and the capacitive buttons :D

Yes, I use Cruzerlite Bugdroid which is a thin TPU case. I'd prefer a thicker case because thin phones are stupid and harder to hold. What a terrible fad thinness is.

Also I use a proper plastic-based protector - Rhinoshield. I am intelligent enough to know that tempered glass screen protectors aren't going to absorb shocks and will likely not protect the phone at all. Rhinoshield feels only very slightly worse to the touch than glass, but it's worth it. A LOT more protection.

Anyone who says they have never dropped their phone either just bought their phone the other day or is lying.

I too have a supcase for my LG G3, Paired with a iCarez screen cover.
It is silly not to have a case IMO. Phones are an investment, they can be re-sold! I bought a New Galaxy S4 last year for 50 dollars and kept it in a case with cover and ended up selling it last month for $75.00 to best buy. I dropped it all the time and accidently threw it a few times. Protect your things!

I am intelligent enough to know that tempered glass screen protectors aren't going to absorb shocks and will likely not protect the phone at all.

Seems to absorb enough shock to me. Why do you say this? Unless you hit it with a sledge hammer or something, I think they provide a lot more protection than without anything, plus they feel and look the best over any other type of protector and even the stock glass, IMO.

Seems to absorb enough shock to me. Why do you say this? Unless you hit it with a sledge hammer or something, I think they provide a lot more protection than without anything, plus they feel and look the best over any other type of protector and even the stock glass, IMO.

It's common knowledge that glass is brittle. All glass. Any type. Hard and brittle. Such materials do not absorb shocks, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19rgpJhcfA&feature=youtu.be

Also, almost all of those tempered glass protectors are marketing BS. If yours was advertised with a hardness of 9, you know you were scammed. No tempered glass in existence has a hardness of 9. 90%+ of these things I've seen are sold as "9H" when it is literally impossible. And these are junky Chinese no-name companies. Who the hell ever heard of Nillkin?

It's common knowledge that glass is brittle. All glass. Any type. Hard and brittle. Such materials do not absorb shocks, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19rgpJhcfA&feature=youtu.be

Also, almost all of those tempered glass protectors are marketing BS. If yours was advertised with a hardness of 9, you know you were scammed. No tempered glass in existence has a hardness of 9.

I think you're (and that demo vid you posted) missing the point. The protector is supposed to break while protecting the glass of the phone in the event of an impact. I don't care if the $8 protector breaks, I care if my actual gorilla glass on the phone breaks.

That vid I showed proves (in at least some capacity) that they absorb impact and keep your actual phone's glass from taking damage.

Your video also shows a screen that is advertised as 9H which glass cannot achieve, so you have bought into a scam. And the test the one you linked showed would have passed with Rhinoshield and others as well.

And to think Apple was considering sapphire and my watch uses sapphire, but all they really needed to do was buy some "9H glass" from some no-name Chinese company. Chinese companies, as you know, are 100% honest and never lie about the performance of their products. The answer was there all along. I will be replacing the glass on my watch with Nillkin's high performance 9H glass.

Your video also shows a screen that is advertised as 9H which glass cannot achieve, so you have bought into a scam. And the test the one you linked showed would have passed with Rhinoshield and others as well.

I didn't buy one that claims 9H (mine actually says "8~9H in the description if you saw which one I have above) and don't care about that at all. I care that it protects my phones screen, which it does. But you totally ignored the point of them and how they're supposed to work, so I'm done arguing it I guess.

I didn't buy one that claims 9H (mine actually says "8~9H in the description if you saw which one I have above) and don't care about that at all. I care that it protects my phones screen, which it does. But you totally ignored the point of them and how they're supposed to work, so I'm done arguing it I guess.

I didn't ignore it so much as I don't agree with you that it's actually a good method of operation. So you find some videos that show that a glass screen protector doesn't always break your screen. So what? You haven't shown it to be an improvement over, well, anything.

Glass isn't going above 7H. Even 8H is a lie. The cheapies are probably no better than 5.5H yet are still brittle.

Anyway, you are certainly free to use what you have if you like it. I wouldn't consider it, personally.

I didn't ignore it so much as I don't agree with you that it's actually a good method of operation. So you find some videos that show that a glass screen protector doesn't always break your screen. So what? You haven't shown it to be an improvement over, well, anything.

Glass isn't going above 7H. Even 8H is a lie.

Again, and I'll elaborate this time; I couldn't give two shits about it's H rating, lol.

The protector still absorbs the shock and breaks, instead of the phones screen underneath it. I pay another $8 to get another one and have a protector with better properties (oleo phobic,smoother, and clearer) for interacting with my screen.

You choose to compromise on those better properties for better protector resilience while paying 3 times more and that's fine. There's pros/cons to each type. I just choose the cheaper alternative that's least invasive and will replace the protector in the event of it shattering. Because I highly doubt it's going to happen more than once and seems more cost effective to me while having the least compromise.

I give two shits about it's H rating

When you're being sold a "9H" protector that is in reality 5H, you know right off the bat that you're being scammed and that you cannot trust anything that company is telling you. It doesn't matter so much what the actual number is - it just matters that you're being sold a bunch of lies. And when a company is willing to lie about that, they are also going to be willing to lie about ANYTHING else it takes to get you to buy their product.

Last edited:
Ah, talking sense with someone who can't even manage to get statements like that right is never really worth the time, but I'll try anyway.

When you're being sold a "9H" protector that is in reality 5H, you know right off the bat that you're being scammed and that you cannot trust anything that company is telling you. It doesn't matter so much what the actual number is - it just matters that you're being sold a bunch of lies. And when a company is willing to lie about that, they are also going to be willing to lie about ANYTHING else it takes to get you to buy their product.

And stop stating things backwards. You couldN'T care less/give two shits.

Yeah, I edited it before you finished this post. Sorry, I'm on my phone and it missed that word. But cool to see you retort to grammar nazi mode when you can't argue and stay on topic otherwise.

The protector works, end of story and that's all that matters. Seems like all the Amazon reviews I see give Nilkin better ratings than that Rhinoshild too, so I guess all those people are wrong and got a shitty protector still because they got "scammed". Never mind there's several of them claiming that it saved their screen.

Last edited:
Anyone who says they have never dropped their phone either just bought their phone the other day or is lying.

I have NEVER dropped my phones. I still have my original iPhone 3G, Droid, and Thunderbolt and all devices are in perfect condition. I went through a Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy S3. GNex sent back to Verizon for the S3. GNex was in perfect condition. S3 was sold to T-Mobile when I left Verizon for it's max credit. My Nexus 5 was in perfect condition as well after 10 months. I got my Nexus 6 the day it was released and Nexus 5 was traded in with JUMP! for the N6.

My wife on the other hand...her dropping her device is a daily occurrence much to my chagrin.

I voted no, but I'm pretty careful. My wife and son on the hand do have a case.

No, I tend to be careful with my stuff. Cases just add bulk and make phones feel like toys.

I don't get screen protectors either, I haven't scratched a mobile or tablet screen in years. Although I have seen so many iPhones with cracked screens.

My screens would get scratched in the pockets of my chinos when they were never, ever stored in the same pocket with keys, knives, or any other tools. My previous phone had dozens of scratches on it that made absolutely zero sense to me. And now I use a screen protector.

BTW, there are supposedly a lot of fake "Rhinoshield" product listings on Amazon. That is, you think you're buying Rhinoshield but you get some cheap POS. I did not buy mine from Amazon and do not trust reviews of the product on Amazon. I can say I would easily take this over anything glass, though my recommendation alone is not all that worthwhile. You could look into it further if you wanted.

I have never bought cases for my phones, the closest I've come to buying one was a bodyglove cover which was useless since the phone it was covering could take a bigger hit than the shitty rubber casing.

No, not yet, for my Note 3, but going to get a slim frame bumper. I like devices naked by the way, any addition seems tacky.

I don't spend $700 on a phone and not buy a case for it, unlike all the iPhone morons I see all around with cracked screens. My note 1 2 3 and now 4 have all been cased by Otterbox or spigen

Yes. I have no choice since it's required to hold the 9000 mAH battery in my LG G3. I always get a case anyway, like the OB Defender.

Only in the Winter, because my hands are dry then. Other than that, no. Cases are ugly as hell, and they add bulk, that for me at least, is unnecessary. I've never had a serious phone drop during seasons besides Winter.

If I ever do, and crack the screen, I'll just replace the it. Only $25 and ~30 minutes of work.

I said no but I keep my phones in a sleeve. My work iphones I use a snugg. My lumia 1020's sleve I have no clue who made it. Yes these are cases but I figured it isn't what most people would think of.

I don't really care, but I don't buy my own cases. They just show up. So I use them... why not (especially if they aren't ugly cases)?

I like thin TPU/Silicone type cases to resist scratches and dents.
This is what I'm using now. Also there's an iLoom tempered glass screen protector installed.

s4_case_1_zpsd4f79803.jpg

s4_case_3_zpsbee2235c.jpg

s4_case_2_zps7607489f.jpg

To the continuing surprise of the unremitting klutz that is myself, I have yet to drop any of my cellphones, even once, since I first got one five years ago. My current phone just has a basic $7 plastic protection sheet on the display, and I don't think I'll even bother doing that on the next one.

Just don't put keys in the same pocket as the cellphone, and do leave the cellphone in your pocket while you're in the bathroom no matter what.

Using a Mophie on my 4S. I don't really need the battery all that often, but when I do, it's nice. Unfortunately the 4/4S was the first case Mophie offered, and the quality in terms of materials leaves a bit to be desired. I've dropped it, and it's broken the case in places. An Uncommon case would still look new if handled the same way.

I think the newer ones of the 5 and beyond are much better. I may or may not get a Mophie ever again, but I may choose to buy a battery pack.

Back