do you have a 4k tv / monitor that you've used for thousands of hours?

Kdawg

[H]ard|Gawd
do name brand TVs last a long time when used as pc monitors?

we all know leds dim over time. LEDs have ridiculous lifespan claims of 50000+ hours.
But do you even have a TV with even half this many hours?

my first TCL 4k tv blew an led in about 6000 hours, just over a year of use.

my second TCL has a dim spot at 22 months, about 12000 hours.

it seems realistically, you'd get about 18000 hours from a TV if you're lucky.

Do you know where I could find total power on time for one of these?

I have 2 LG 43" 4k displays, both with similar LG IPS panels. A 43UF7600 HDTV that I'd estimate being powered up for 16k hours hours since 2015. It spent 2-3 years in storage, but was put back into service this year. The other is a 43UD79 Monitor, that has around 20k powered on hours since 2017.

Both work just as well as they did when they were new, as far as I've noticed. They have both spent their entire lives on APC UPSes, which probably helps with longevity.

Maybe it's the TCL quality or lack their of? I've had a Sony, LG and Samsung TV and monitors one for way over 10k hours each over the years and not one has lost any brightness.

TCL makes cheap TVs with notoriously bad quality control, I wouldn't use them as a baseline for overall LED TV quality.

While it's not 4k, I've been using a Sony LED for over 11 years now and I just replaced it with a 4k and moved it into my room.

Usually the LEDs or power board are what goes, so it stands to reason, cheaper TVs have cheaper powerboards and panels with cheap arrays. I had a cheap Samsung 48" 1080p with some wierd brand IPS type panel, I used it for eight hours or more daily for over three years before it blew a few strips in the array. Power board checked out fine, a coulple of strips in the array went bad, so I went to order some LEDs for it, but cracked the screen trying to put the bezel back on. Most can be replced for cheap, if you are careful and skilled, unlike me. The powerboard is easy, the LEDs are tricky because of the thin as hell glass.

I have a cheap 43" Sanyo 1080p I had used for a couple of years, it still works except for a wierd blotch like stain in the middle of the screen, very visible on a white background.

I assume my 32" Panasonic 1080p from ten years ago maybe, still worked when I put it back in it's box.

Here's hoping this Sony X800H 49" holds up, it does have a dead pixel, or speck of dust under the diffuser, not worth the hassle to return or service it.

Last edited:
LG 43UD79 4K Monitor which I used for racing titles until I got the Asus XG43VQ. I put at least 800 hours on it and it still works fine.
I was thinking about mounting it on the wall in front of desk, but I really have no use for it right now.

Samsung Q9FN, has seen at least 12K hrs use (mostly TV, some PC gaming or movies).
Is perfect.

Its never been near a heat source, isnt wall mounted, room temp kept at 20.5C except summer.

And how is your hird TLC doing now? 🙃

still using the 2nd TCL.

it technically still works.

but you can see a dim spot in the upper middle left

IMG_20201209_230304.jpg

all leds are supposed to dim, but you may not notice if you're looking at it everyday. I used a lux meter app to test the brightness brand new, and almost 2 years later, and brightness has gone down 25%, even though it feels bright enough

look at the difference between a bulb heavily used for 8 years vs a new one.

par30-bulb-aging-comparison.jpg

Last edited:
I'll say my B6 has tens of thousands of hours on it. It's clear some parts of the panel are starting to fade a bit, though I would say none of it is visible in actual gameplay. I do have some permanent burn in (Windows Taskbar); that was my own fault.

I will say panel wear has gotten worse since I've been working from home, since I've constantly had things like MSVC open, and I can literally see banding in the areas where the various frames are located. (This is MSVC 2008, which doesn't have a built-in dark theme). I know this is "worse case" OLED use, but again, worth noting.

It is worth noting the B6 is "first gen" OLED, and I've heard that newer models have more built-in protections, but you do need to put some care in how you use them.

I have a vizio 1080p 60 inch that still works fine after close to 10 years of everyday use.

Back