do you guys still use air can to spray clean the case or you use compressor?

I need some help here: FOr those who bought a compressor w/ that air gun, I bought the Home Depot Anvil compressor

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-2...th-7-Piece-Accessories-Kit-0110247A/302862443

and today, I bought the air gun w/ quick connect.

the result is very disappointing. When I spray, try to get the dust out, it's very slow, it's like a 80 yr. old man trying to have an orgasm. It's day vs. night compares to the strength coming out of an air can

for those who own a compressor w/ air gun, is the air coming out that weak?

I use a much larger compressor that costs 6 times that price. I did not purchase it for the aria blower only. I use it for automotive work and carpentry.

Did you wait till the tank filled before using the air? Is the pressure output turned up to the maximum?

Last edited:
if I don't wait for the tank to be full, how much difference does it make as that barrel is tiny

Didn't check max. pressure, good pt. I"ll double check

I use an air blower that was originally used to blow up air mattress for guests, works well enough on my computer components as well.

I just picked up one of these also. Somewhat cheaper than the DataVac one. Probably not much difference.

The xpower looks less dorky than the datavac, I have to say. But back when I got mine, there was no choice. :(

TOR_51820.jpg

My Dad bought one of these it's cordless and it has a Turbo mode where it really shoots out the air.
It removes all the dust from the top of my SSD drives so it's pretty decent.

I need some help here: FOr those who bought a compressor w/ that air gun, I bought the Home Depot Anvil compressor

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-2...th-7-Piece-Accessories-Kit-0110247A/302862443

and today, I bought the air gun w/ quick connect.

the result is very disappointing. When I spray, try to get the dust out, it's very slow, it's like a 80 yr. old man trying to have an orgasm. It's day vs. night compares to the strength coming out of an air can

for those who own a compressor w/ air gun, is the air coming out that weak?
Are you sure you have the pressure adjusted right? Any air compressor should be able to produce enough pressure to clean out a PC case. I have one that doesn't even have a tank, and just the air in the hose is enough.

Try adjusting the blue knob on the front of it. It sounds like they ship it with the pressure adjusted really low.

I am curious, for those of you who lives in North America and it's -10 deg. C outside, and say right now, I want to dust spray a few PC's dust. Exactly how do you do it?

a) indoor in your PC room and blow the dust out

b) move it to your garage and do it at about 2 deg. C inside a garage

c) outdoor at -10 deg. C?

I hate to find out what's the operating temperature of that home depot compressor

I always use b regardless of the temperature. Although my compressors are usually in the garage anyways.

I hate to find out what's the operating temperature of that home depot compressor

Many compressors have a difficult time starting in cold temperatures. If this is the case you may blow the breaker a time or two (at first startup) but after the motor and bearings warm up it should work. If I had to guess this has happened to me a hundred times.. These types of compressors are used by contractors in new buildings that are not heated. (not sure how many professionals use the $5X dollar model however)

One thing that can help in cold temperatures is at first startup keep the drain valve open and run it for a few minutes till it heats up then shutdown and close the drain.

Last edited:
I've been using an air compressor since the early 1990s.

Around 6 months or so ago my 120v pancake style compressor was stolen so I went looking for a nice used compressor.

I now have a 20 gallon 230v compressor of the style where the compressor is belt driven by the motor.

It is the quietest compressor I have ever used.. besides the fact that I need to probably replace the belt and rig up some sort of automatic belt tensioner to it to get rid of the noise from the belt vibrating.

I had a larger Datavac at a job once and it was awesome when cleaning out large groups of computers at once. I'd love to pick up that hand held unit.

I have used compressors before but you have to be careful. The one I use once in awhile has never got water in it, but I've seen some before that get a bunch of water in them, so bad you have to drain it out periodically. So I trust the ones I know are water free but the Datavac type devices are obviously the best choice.

You are supposed to drain a compressor about every day of use. In the construction industry you usually do this at the end of the day.

I have certainly forgotten and left air in a compressor for much longer however.

Last edited:
I went back to home depot. I now understand what the problem is:

the guy can describes exactly what the situation is, ie.., I turn the dial up at 75 psi. I then air spray the computer parts. It last only 15 sec. And after that, nothing happens. It drop to less than 20 psi after 15 sec., and the air that comes out after, it's like a T-girl having an ejaculation.

So he told me that it's like I'm hiring a child to do the job of an adult. The barrel is too small, I have to get a much bigger compressor to have strong air comes out for a long period of time. But a can of air is only $10, so I don't want to pay $300 upwards to get strong air flow.

I wonder what make / model is the ones that you guys are using, and how big is it? as I don't have that much space to store such a giant compressor. However, I do need to stock a compressor in case I need to pump air in my car tires

The small pancake compressors are better for small nail guns than blowers. Blowers use require a lot of CFM.

Although I have access to 230V model with a large tank I mainly use a 115V craftsman from 25 years ago. It is larger and has better specs than this but is a similar design (belt driven though):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8G-150-PSI-Hotdog-Air-Compressor-0300816/302862402

Edit:

Here is a better match to what I use:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ectric-Air-Compressor-DXCMPA1982054/204068485

Although again I use it mainly for carpentry and automotive uses. I certainly would not buy it for the ability to use the blower.

Last edited:
So he told me that it's like I'm hiring a child to do the job of an adult. The barrel is too small, I have to get a much bigger compressor to have strong air comes out for a long period of time.

You just need something with a bigger tank unless you are worried about how fast that tank fills or are running air tools that require a high cfm. My current office has something like the POS you linked and it has the same problem. I have a 6 gallon pancake in my garage and it works fine however.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-...ectric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-C2002/203162815

Now if you are blowing out machines constantly then something with an even larger tank and higher cfm like above commenter posted would be a good idea.

You just need something with a bigger tank unless you are worried about how fast that tank fills or are running air tools that require a high cfm. My current office has something like the POS you linked and it has the same problem. I have a 6 gallon pancake in my garage and it works fine however.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-...ectric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-C2002/203162815

Now if you are blowing out machines constantly then something with an even larger tank and higher cfm like above commenter posted would be a good idea.

I do 1 or 2 PC blow per month. Not that often. I'll check with home depot .

Bottom line: Have you use the Porter to clean a the inside of a PC ? You know that would take probably 1 to 2 min. Would a 6 gallon unit do it?

The small pancake compressors are better for small nail guns than blowers. Blowers use require a lot of CFM.

Although I have access to 230V model with a large tank I mainly use a 115V craftsman from 25 years ago. It is larger and has better specs than this but is a similar design (belt driven though):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8G-150-PSI-Hotdog-Air-Compressor-0300816/302862402

Edit:

Here is a better match to what I use:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ectric-Air-Compressor-DXCMPA1982054/204068485

Although again I use it mainly for carpentry and automotive uses. I certainly would not buy it for the ability to use the blower.

Dewalt too expensive, I rather buy can of air. the 8G Husky is doable, depends on whether it's enough to blow 1 to 2 min. of air to clean the inside of a PC. I think 2 min. is quite reasonable. Or perhaps longer, depends on how dirty a PC is. But I only do 1 to 2 PC per mth.

So a simple trick is to keep my Anvil for car tires emergency, and just buy a few can of air per year

The Husky is 150 psi and yet the HP is 1.8HP.

The above Central Pneumatic, also 8 gallon, w/ 2 HP, and yet it's only 125 psi. If 8 gallon, like you said, is enough to blow air on a PC, then I'll pick the Husky

Having said that, how many min. do I get from a 6 gallon tank?

as the 2 gallon has no chance of refilling the air fast enough while I am using it. So I wonder would an 8 gallon be fast enough to refill the air when I am blowing the air to the PC?

The Husky is 150 psi and yet the HP is 1.8HP.

The above Central Pneumatic, also 8 gallon, w/ 2 HP, and yet it's only 125 psi. If 8 gallon, like you said, is enough to blow air on a PC, then I'll pick the Husky

Having said that, how many min. do I get from a 6 gallon tank?

as the 2 gallon has no chance of refilling the air fast enough while I am using it. So I wonder would an 8 gallon be fast enough to refill the air when I am blowing the air to the PC?

The reason I recommended the Central Pneumatic over the Husky is because if you look at the specs. the CP has a higher SCFM rating than the husky by quite a bit, meaning that the pump actually pumps more air per revolution of the pump.. With the CP, you could likely blow 40 PSI air almost indefinitely. If you need more air pressure than that, it will be intermittent. And if you want 150 PSI out of the CP compressor, you can do that as well. you can take the cover off of the pressure switch and turn the screw until you get 150 PSI. You might need to buy a new safety valve but they cost about $10

so here's a primitive question: when we buy an air can, what is the PSI coming out of that can? As to be honest, I normally do a few min. of cleaning depends on how much dust is inside

if there is NOT enough air or pressure in the tank, I feel like I'm Ultraman in those episode and racing against time before the light on Ultraman's chest blink on and off, and I am hoping for a better solution than that

I got some very similar blow gun. But I'm about to refund that home depot compressor and looking for a better one

so I refund my Anvil to Home Depot. Now shopping for an 8 Gallon, what I don't understand is:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools/N-5yc1vZc1xy/Ntk-ProductInfoMatch/Ntt-air+compressor?NCNI-5&isSearch=true&Ns=None&experienceName=default

why is the 20 Gallon 175 PSI Husky at the same price ($199) as the 6 Gal. Porter Cable?

anyhoo, I'm thinking of this brand, as my lawn mower is from this brand, and it's very good to me:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n.../air-compressors/8-gallon-air-compressor.html

what do you people think?

Last edited:
B&S makes engines. They don't make anything else anymore.. products that are sold with their name that are not engines, are outsourced. Do believe that compressor is a Devilbiss which makes a lot of the brands of compressors, and hospital equipment. Most cheap compressors will be made by Devilbiss or Campbell Hausfeld regardless of brand.. also that B&S compressor has a tiny pump/ garbage specs.

as to why a 20 gallon 175 psi is same as a 6 gallon. the 6 gallon comes with a kit with a nailer.. both have pretty small pumps. high pressure on consumer compressors is a gimmick. they can have a tiny pump, and charge a ton. the tanks will handle an extra 25-50 PSI without a problem, but that 175 psi compressor can sell for $20-50 more real easy

good thing you mention this, this is why I'm still doing the research, now forget the price of the following, as there may very well be some Black Fri. or 50% off in some local store of these compressors, but what is a good one that can do air spray for a few min., like the way we use air can w/ air can pressure level:

1) this one is 20 gallon, there is a local guy selling it at his house, brand new, and when I read online, Husky is 2 yr. warranty, made in USA, and this model says "long life Aluminum pump"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...ky+20+gal+175+psi+portable+air+compressor}:qu

2) this brand you already told me it's no good, but I thought I'll throw it in because it's 15 gallon, at 40 psi, it's 4.8SCFM, and at 90 psi, it's 3.7CFM

http://www.searshometownstores.com/...llon-OilFree-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor

3) Makita, never heard of this brand before, any good, as home depot told me it's professional grade, it's only 5.2 gallon but it can do 6.5 cfm at 90 psi, and it says it's 3 HP:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...-Single-Tank-Air-Compressor-MAC5200/202713486

4) Dewalt

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D5516...lt+15+gallon+compressor&qid=1574644119&sr=8-1

======

what is the difference btwn. scfm vs. cfm? and how many cfm is a can of air spray normally gives out?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"SCFM" is standard cubic feet per minute. "CFM" should also be the same figure, but they leave off the "S" or standard part of the test so they can fudge the numbers a little bit. Some compressors are listed with "ACFM" or Assisted CFM. that means big tank, little pump.

The Makita is a rebrand. Makita makes a lot of power tools and are a premium brand. That compressor is a jobsite compressor. It's designed to run air nailers all day long, for years. It has good specs but you can get a lot more for less.

The Dewalt is a rebrand of a compressor I used to own. Under that cowling is a compressor head you think belongs in a 12v inflator.. I bought it specifically for the 20 gallon air tank.

The Husky if you can get it cheap enough would be ideal for your uses. 20 gallons stored would meet your discharge requirements even if the pump could not keep up. It is made by Devilbiss, or Husky usually is.

1) If Husky is made by Devilbliss, and you already told me Devilbliss made cheap compressors, then I should stay away from the Huskky. Because I don't want the Husky to fail, as buying it from a 3rd party (He said the box is still sealed), has probably 1/2 of the warranty left.

The reasons I bring out the Husky is the fancy description by home depot that appears to be very impressive, such as the

1. Oil-free, low maintenance operation with no belts or pulleys to replace
  1. 7 inch HDPE (high density polyethylene) wheels for durability and garage/jobsite portability
  1. Long Life Aluminum pump
2)It looks like I should go w/ the Makita for quality. If 5.2 Gallon is not enough to spray enough air on cleaning PC, then after I try it, I can still refund it, and force to go back to the Husky. I check online on the Makita box, it looks lke it's also made in USA, but w/ 1 yr. warranty.

Devilbiss makes cheap and good compressors all the same.. The little Makita compressor is likely made by Eaton, which is a premium brand. It is oil lubricated meaning the pump will last longer. But it becomes a question on how much are you really going to use it? it's a machine designed to run almost 24/7 for years doing things like running air nailers in a construction environment. You can get oiled pumps in cheaper compressors too

I've had a harbor freight compressor which was manufactured by campbell hausfeld. Better specs than the Makita and a 10 gallon tank. It's over 10 years old now and still works perfectly. I just re shingled a large roof with it this summer, and have painted cars with it. Total cost was under $175 with an extra 2 year warranty which of course, all warranty is up at this point.

but the Husky spec. said:

Oil free pump allows for spray painting without the need for oil separators in the air system

so by comparison, you're saying the Oil lubricated pump is better than the oil free pump then?

==================

I need a compressor for 2 reasons:

1) on rare occasion, pump the car tires

2) Spray clean dust of old PC, that's easily and realistically a few min., depends on how much dust is in it. I can do 5 min. per PC. But I don't use it daily. About a few PC a month. But not every month. However, I still need a compressor that can do that 5 min. job just like a can of air did in the past many years. I stop buying air can when my wholesaler told me all his clients now own air compressor instead of buying air can from him

I got my hands on a rubber nasal aspirator over a decade ago and it's still my favorite computer cleaning tool. Nothing beats a complete disassembly and brush cleaning though.

Back