do you guys still use air can to spray clean the case or you use compressor?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I just heard you can use a small compressor to clean the inside of your case if you use a lot of air spray can

if so, how does that work? does it take a few hr. to charge up or you just plug in to the wall?

as I have a few client's case to clean weekly

I went this route a few months ago. Found a great deal on a compact 3gal. air compressor. It takes under 2 minutes to fill to 150psi and using the regulator you can control the pressure to the tool, in this case an airgun. For my airgun, 40-60psi seems to be the optimal range for dusting keyboards, heatsinks, and inside the PC in general.

This is the airgun I use. I like having the option of different nozzles and its general modularity.
20190724_143302.jpg

I bought one of those X-Powered air compressors a few years back. For whatever reason, I had it shipped to my work. I took it out and tested it. It worked so well, the entire office used it on their stuff and bought one.

I use a midsized air compressor at home on occasion and always start moving air away from computer components then start cleaning. Seems any moisture worth worrying about comes out on the first blast.

I use cans of air for quick keyboard blasts and a compressor to do the full system on occasion.

I also let my stuff 'dry' afterwards since compressed air is cold and causes condensation.

I also hold my fans so they don't freespin if I can.

Air Compressor at home and any company I have every worked for that does PC repair.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I bought a Datavac eight years ago. But before that I used a 20lb CO2 cylinder and an old airbrush to blow out my cases. The Datavac was easier and more portable.

I use cans of air for quick keyboard blasts and a compressor to do the full system on occasion.

I also let my stuff 'dry' afterwards since compressed air is cold and causes condensation.

I also hold my fans so they don't freespin if I can.

I do that. Cans of air are nice to do some quick cleanup and do things like the keyboard every so often.

I use a portable plug in PC duster (blows a good amount of air) and at home I have used my air compressor for as long as I can remember. I usually drag the hose into the house to the work area and do all my stuff at once rather than take each individual PC outside one at a time. Have had ZERO issues this way over the past 14+ years.

The electric Milwaukee blower works really well too and its small and compact. Sometimes they include it free in bundles if you need other tools as well.

As linked above, the ED500, made for electronics to not make static. Very powerful, solid tank like build, no drop in air pressure as you use it like canned air as it gets cold.

Will never go back to buying canned air.

i bought 2 cans throughout my life and i thought it was a terrible waste of money as the air in the can is not enough,
it made me angry, i hate wasting money

i bought an electric duster and never looked back

https://www.newegg.ca/white-metrovac-datavac-electric-duster/p/N82E16896367002

i paid 149 usd for it, a little too much but i couldnt wait for it to be on sale as i needed it right away

i love it, i use it to clean my computers and clean in behind my computers and corners, everywhere there is dust,
i also clean my curtains with it, it was worth the money

Reactions: Lunas
like this
I bought a Datavac eight years ago. But before that I used a 20lb CO2 cylinder and an old airbrush to blow out my cases. The Datavac was easier and more portable.

Carbon dioxide tank good idea I used one to power my Iwata HP-C airbrush when I traveled to scale aircraft model competitions. Very dry souce of propellant.

From a past stage in my hobby life before PC obsession.

AVENGER.jpg

Last edited:
Use a moisture trap and regulator if you use any air compressor. Set around 15 psi.

You know, I simply never know about this. I have been using air can for years. I never realize I actually spend more $ on these cans buying a compressor.

because I never know a compressor can be used to spray air out. I got a free compressor last Aug., but that's to pump air to my car tires. I just dind't know there is this air gun that can be so useful to spray air for cleaning

I can't stand the noise of compressors, they're too loud. I'd rather leave it dirty.

At home, I use whatever my office uses :-D

But seriously, the amount of air spray I use (they sell them in 6 packs around me), which lasts a looooooong time. Compared to buying a compressor and other hardware, the ROI on the cans is not that bad. Plus, I'd rather not have hardware taking up room that I'm not actually using often enough (I don't work on my own car anymore with my bad right arm).

I've used an air compressor for this task for probably 15 years has worked fine. I usually held the fans so they wouldn't go spinning crazy when hitting it with the air. I just left it set at 90psi or whatever it was last at, never had anything come unsoldered :rolleyes:.

That being said a few years ago I got one of those Metro Datavac (ED-500) blowers that a couple of people have already mentioned. It also works fine, has portability and ease of use. I don't have to take anything out to the workshop, when I go to fix others systems it easily packs away. I just use the one big tapered nozzle with it, those tiny ones are so restrictive and the fanned one doesn't' really seem to be any more useful.. the thing puts out a lot of air. I've also used it as a leaf blower for the steps and to inflate air mattress. I recommend it.

Life is full of surprises. Just this afternoon, while I was using this Hydunai Air series HPC 2050, the compressor stops half way. It's only been used once every 2 week since early Jan 2019.

So someone told me it's the condensation of the water at the bottom of the tank, so I have to loose that screw and empty the water, except that there is no water, not 1 drop. So I then screw the drain valve back on. But there is a pin in the middle and I didn't know that pin has to connect to another hexagon screw. So as I move the compressor back up

THE PIN got loose from the drain valve screw and it's now sitting at the inside of the barrel of the compressor

I try to shake it out, but it doesn't want to come out. Is this the end of this compressor?

if so, what is a good reliable brand name that you people use? I won't buy anything from Korea again.

That model is fine.

Just buy a sprayer attachment with the quick connector as it doesn't come with one. Most compressors DONT come with a decent sprayer.

so there is no chance to get that damn pin out of that barrel? I can try a magnet, but I don't have a magnet small enough w/ a hook and can go thru that hole

but what about the pin still inside? is it safe to have a pin inside when the compressor is turn on?

I use my air compressor. 50-60psi into the blow gun, and away the dust goes. I make sure to grab hold of the fans as you can overspin them if you don't.

A relatively cheap dryer can be used to keep moisture to a min. Never had a problem with moisture with various different compressors and setups, and years and years of this practice.

that's great advice, I ddin't know about fan can over spin. As I thought they can do 1000+ rpm, so that's useful info. to me

Back