Do you guys set your browser to remember all your user/passwords for websites ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I'm thinking of doing that for all websites except banks,ebay,amazon,paypal. My PC is completely open I don't even have to log in into windows, just power on and I'm at desktop. I'd like for it to remember everything but if someone were to steal my PC they could access everything.

Do most of you have even have a log-on for windows by the way ?

You could just add a password to your login account, you know, it's not really a big hassle that I can imagine but some folks won't see if that way. I do allow my browser(s) to remember logins for the sites I visit regularly, yes, no reason not to. It would be pretty shitty practice and a hassle to have to log in every time I go back to a site after closing the particular tab for it, and I rarely shut down my browser completely anyway - aside from having an Explorer window open, Firefox Portable is pretty much always open and I might reboot my laptop once a month if that often.

And yes I do have a password on my user account for Windows as well. Because I make use of some of the networking features in Windows 7 between my laptop and my wife's it's required for file sharing across the network to access the shares (I don't use the HomeGroups feature). Even if I didn't do things that way I'd still have a user account password, there's no real reason not to. Sure a Windows password can be bypassed with a USB stick running l0phtcrack or something similar or taking the storage drive from the laptop and attaching it to another machine to do the same thing in a different manner but I'm not going to go that far worrying.

The NSA knows everything anyway so what's the point? :D

Why are you asking us? Some do, don't, obviously. There are also people out there using "Password123" for everything, does that validate your decision to make poor security choices?

The biggest problem I've found with storing passwords to browsers is that if you don't write the credentials down and rely on the browser, sooner or later you're going to lose that information. For example you try to access a site from another computer and most likely forgot your credentials due to never having to use them.

For trivial logons (like hardocp forums) I rely solely on the browser. For important stuff I have an encrypted database.

I have so many logons in so many places that it would be impossible to memorize them all. And I don't really trust third party password managers either like we saw with the Keepass fiasco.

I use a paid Lastpass account. I have it locked down with an authenticator and have my browsers set to not remember any passwords. When I open my browser, I authenticate and everything is auto filled for me. Works great.

No password on your administrator account on Windows?

This should be good.

My machines all have logins with passwords and only I use them so I do save the password in the browser.

I'm thinking of doing that for all websites except banks,ebay,amazon,paypal. My PC is completely open I don't even have to log in into windows, just power on and I'm at desktop. I'd like for it to remember everything but if someone were to steal my PC they could access everything.

Do most of you have even have a log-on for windows by the way ?

NICE TRY, HACKER JOE. I AM SMART AND DO NOT ANSWER SUCH HACKERY QUESTIONS.

No password on your administrator account on Windows?

This should be good.
IIRC having no admin password on Windows automatically disables network based logins. I might be wrong also. Any sort of browser etc. based attack is of course going to have easier time to cause damage.

But the reality is that passwords never stopped Windows from being owned.

I have two tiers of security for web sites: weak and strong. I let the browser save the passwords for sites with no useful personal info, and set the browser to never save the password for sites with credit card info, banking info, medical info, SSN, and the like.

Strong passwords are unique to each site. I do not have any passwords written down in physical form anywhere. I only need to memorize two strong passwords.

I don't let the browser save any passwords.

And I have a login password for my computer as well.

I use windows password and have the browser remember passwords for websites I don't have much of a security concern. My important passwords I remember.

Considering how easy it is to break/reset/bypass a windows password. Nope I sure dont save any password in the browser.

Nope don't save any passwords in browser.
also i dont have it to rember history from session to session. just the current session

I use Lastpass for the last 6 years may be? No need to store passwords in browser.

I would tell you but then I would have to kill you.

Half of being secure is not telling others how you go about it.

The other half is not using a password for your Admin account on Windows.

Just for web forums, anything else I don't. I have Keepass password manager anyway.

Except for a couple of throwaway e-mail accounts, everything else in stored on Roboform.

Why are you asking us? Some do, don't, obviously. There are also people out there using "Password123" for everything, does that validate your decision to make poor security choices?

What validates you being a douche, this is a forum where people ask questions.

I use Chrome with 2fa and let google store most of my passwords except the critical ones. This way I also have a backup at passwords.google.com. I also use LastPass.

What I've found is when I manually managed passwords they were weaker ones and I had to write them down which is much more insecure.

Back