Do you generally prefer smaller phones or larger phones?

What size phones do you generally prefer?

• iPhone 13 mini or Android equivalent

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • iPhone 14/iPhone 14 Pro or Android equivalent

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • iPhone 14 Plus/iPhone 14 Pro Max or Android equivalent

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
iPhone 13 mini has a 5.4" display.
iPhone 14/iPhone 14 Pro have a 6.1" display.
iPhone 14 Plus/iPhone 14 Pro Max have a 6.7" display.

If your Android phone is close to any one of these, just select that.

iPhone 13 mini has a 5.4" display.
iPhone 14/iPhone 14 Pro have a 6.1" display.
iPhone 14 Plus/iPhone 14 Pro Max have a 6.7" display.

If your Android phone is close to any one of these, just select that.
mines still not on the list, MS Lumia...
you should change it to sizes only.

When you have a problem putting the phone away its probably too big, if you cannot read it its probably too small. My wife had long ago a really small Siemens phone, it was small, it had a menu running you in circles(Could do a lot of things but because of that the menu had no ends it seems, so you change something here and it effects /shifts to some place there), it was cute but a pain in general.

I prefer as large of a screen as possible. I do a lot with my phone and the bigger screen really comes in handy. I have both a nice Apple tablet and a nice Android tablet also, but neither actually gets used very often. The phone gets used a lot because it's always right there in my pocket. Any serious computing gets done on my computer. That leaves only a very tiny niche for the tablets such as long trips in the car or setting one of them up as a mini-TV to watch a sports game, etc.

That's why I'm super happy with my Note 20 Ultra, with it's 6.9" screen. It's the last Note model that Samsung made. After that, they brought over some (but not all) of the features from the Note series to their other flagship phones such as the S22 Ultra and S23 Ultra. The Note 20 Ultra still has a bigger screen than the S22 Ultra and S23 Ultra (6.8"), and also bigger than the iPhone 14 Max (6.7"), not to mention still having an SD card slot! I'm not sure of any other phone with a bigger screen than the Note 20 Ultra other than the Samsung Galaxy Fold (aka the "enjoy your crease") models. The removable S-Pen is also very nice as it makes it viable to view and use webpages in Desktop mode on my phone. I've never had any issue fitting my phone into my pocket, but then again I'm not one of those guys who likes to wear skinny jeans, etc.

Last edited:
I used to think phablets were a great idea. As I age (42 currently) the bigger phones get, the harder it makes them to use daily. I know the larger screens make it nicer to watch video. I currently have a OnePlus 9 Pro I bought used here on the [H]. I've bought OnePluses for the past 4/5 years as they are good about updates and the performance is usually consistant. But the screen sizes keep getting larger and larger on the mainstream premium phones. I wish Androids with smaller screens had better performance. Laggy or inconsistent UI performance bothers me more than if the phone is a bit unwieldy.

medium size, no bigger than a 5.5". phones should be one handed use.
That's on the small side now. Hold an iPhone 13 mini and it'll feel downright tiny. Look at it this way: the 5.4-inch iPhone is physically smaller than a Lumia 930 with a 5-inch screen.

Whether or not a phone should be one-handed is a matter of personal preference. We're past the point where everyone primarily uses their phone for calls and sending quick texts. I'm using my phone for navigation, for important emails, for reading... it's my main camera and often the only way to catch up on the day's events before I go to bed. A decent-sized screen is vital for those.

I'm not sure I'm a huge-screen person, but now that I have a budding family I'm starting to think I could use a larger phone (probably the iPhone 16 Pro Max, by the time I'm ready to upgrade) to get things done and have battery life to spare.

I've got an older smartphone for my music and gps. I can't even remember what phone it is. no sim card or anything. the thing is giant. its great for gps, but I have no idea how people can walk around with that thing all day.

Since I don't do everything on my phone 6" is usually my max. My latest phone is 6.4, but that's the smallest Moto I could find and still have decent specs.

I used to think phablets were a great idea. As I age (42 currently) the bigger phones get, the harder it makes them to use daily.

What makes them harder for you to use? I'm not doubting your post, just genuinely curious.

What makes them harder for you to use? I'm not doubting your post, just genuinely curious.
Back in the day with smaller phones like teh iphone 5 samsaung s5/s6 it was easier to one hand a phone. Reach across the screen with one thumb. It's extremely difficult to one hand my OnePlus 9 Pro. I never had that problem with smaller phones. Having to constantly two hand my phone makes it less convenient.

wife has a 13mini and it is amazing to hold. i got the pro because i wanted the additional camera lens since i use my phone a lot for work quick photos. But i do miss holding my phone and my thumb could navigate the entire screen

Back in the day with smaller phones like teh iphone 5 samsaung s5/s6 it was easier to one hand a phone. Reach across the screen with one thumb. It's extremely difficult to one hand my OnePlus 9 Pro. I never had that problem with smaller phones. Having to constantly two hand my phone makes it less convenient

But i do miss holding my phone and my thumb could navigate the entire screen

Yeah that definitely makes sense. But it would seem to me that there would be plenty of other situations where having a larger screen would make things easier. Simply having more screen space to work with can make a lot of things easier - the same way that having a bigger computer monitor can make things easier. As long as you don't mind actually using both hands, typing with two thumbs at the same time can be pretty darn quick.

"go big, or go home" and "size DOES matta" as the sayings go, hehehe :)

My previous phone had a 6.2" screen, which I found somewhat constraining, but my current phone has a 6.7" screen and most of the time that is fine, but if possible, my next one will be a tad bigger :)

Yeah that definitely makes sense. But it would seem to me that there would be plenty of other situations where having a larger screen would make things easier. Simply having more screen space to work with can make a lot of things easier - the same way that having a bigger computer monitor can make things easier. As long as you don't mind actually using both hands, typing with two thumbs at the same time can be pretty darn quick.
I can see that. But most of my work is done on a computer screen. At best I read an email or look something up real quick. After work my phone has been off the charger 10hrs and is only down to 90%, so i really dont use it much.

I decided a couple of years ago that I'd rather have bigger screens than a crink in my neck from glancing at my phone all day.

6.7” with a beautiful display is my vote. No cheap low res lcd things. If you’re going to have it bigger it might as well be quality.

Agreed, but with smaller phones you had the choice to one hand or two hand. There is almost no situation, other than holding it and reading, where one hand is functional with my phone nowadays.

I prefer smaller phones but even the current ones available are enormous so I still can't use them with one hand so I've just about given up on them. The other thing is beyond in the hand, huge phones are just awkward to carry around no matter where you are carrying it.

Last edited:
I like the larger/largest phones - I have really big hands so they are easy to handle.
I bought the Galaxy Fold 3 when it was released in 2021.

I really enjoyed it up until a few weeks ago when the hinge failed and it can no longer open 180 degrees - it's more like 165 degrees now which is physically annoying but when the system detects the phone being partially bent, it thinks you want to run split screen content so a lot of things won't go full screen.

I bought the protection plan when I got the phone but I had it on my debit card which expired and the coverage lapsed so now I'm basically hosed.

It's the 512GB model too.

No more hinges for me.

I'm a big, beautiful screen guy. Pixel 7 Pro is my current phone, but I'll trade it for the 8 Pro because it's gonna have a big, beautiful FLAT screen! :D

I like a medium size. My 5T was a great size for me. Similar to my work S21 FE but it feels a little bit large, no complaints though. My personal phone is the S22 baby version. For typing its great one handed (I have larger hands) but can be a little tight at times. Screen size I'm more than happy with it. The larger sizes offered me nothing of value just more $$

Back in the day with smaller phones like teh iphone 5 samsaung s5/s6 it was easier to one hand a phone. Reach across the screen with one thumb. It's extremely difficult to one hand my OnePlus 9 Pro. I never had that problem with smaller phones. Having to constantly two hand my phone makes it less convenient.
This is definitely me. The perfect size was the Galaxy S6 for me. Easy to use one handed which is a hell of a lot more convenient to me than a giant ass screen. I don't need a giant ass screen because I'm not stupid enough to spend all day attempting to use a phone as a main computer. Phones should be used as short term consumption devices, not as a primary computing device. They're horribly inefficient for almost every use. What's even worse is that so many people are addicted to them just because they're portable. If only people would force themselves to put down the phone and find something else to do with their time.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I’ve been really happy with the size of this phone.

The phone I wanted, Apple never made. I was hoping they'd make a Mini with flagship specs, an "iPhone Pro Mini" if you will. That would be my ideal. Since they didn't I either will pickup a 13 Mini pretty soon or just get an iPhone 13/14 Pro.

While it may seem redundant, I think the ideal setup is to have an iPad in tandem with an iPhone (Mini). My phone I want to be as compact as possible and have it do everything. Then the iPad does all of the content consumption or longer form browsing (eg: while at home, in bed, on the couch, etc). It also gives extended abilities if you want to use it to write emails via a keyboard, or do art stuff. Photo editing, drawing, even beat creation, etc.

To me you either do iPhone/iPad, or you "combine both devices" by getting an iPhone Pro Max (or equivalent 6.5"+ Android phone like the S23 Ultra) and compromise by having a single device that's "mostly pocket-able" but large enough to more easily browse and watch content on.

The former I think gives a better experience for each of those discrete purposes (with added capabilities that an iPad has and phones do not). The latter is less expensive and more streamlined. That's my thinking on it, and it's obviously mostly preference.

EDIT: ended up with an iPhone 13 mini.

Last edited:
This is definitely me. The perfect size was the Galaxy S6 for me. Easy to use one handed which is a hell of a lot more convenient to me than a giant ass screen. I don't need a giant ass screen because I'm not stupid enough to spend all day attempting to use a phone as a main computer. Phones should be used as short term consumption devices, not as a primary computing device. They're horribly inefficient for almost every use. What's even worse is that so many people are addicted to them just because they're portable. If only people would force themselves to put down the phone and find something else to do with their time.

I agree with what you are saying about not using a phone all day, and not using it as a primary computing device. For people who use their phone that much, at a minimum they should simply get a tablet. There is almost zero learning curve if that tablet is running the same OS as their phone is.

But, I don't really see how that argument really has anything to do with phone screen size. It's still possible to appreciate a phone with a larger screen even if it's not your primary computing device. The benefit of a phone is that it's always with you. It's a pain to haul a tablet around with you, so it only really helps in certain situations like when you keep it next to the couch.

Large screens are also good for those whose eyes are no longer 25 years old. And especially so for those whose eyesight was never good, even at a young age. Or for whom almost 30 years as a software developer has taken its toll. Even the best corrective eyewear doesn't truly compensate for this. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess how I know this!

That said... bring on the 7-inch monsters! And 100% flat, please!

Large screens are also good for those whose eyes are no longer 25 years old. And especially so for those whose eyesight was never good, even at a young age. Or for whom almost 30 years as a software developer has taken its toll. Even the best corrective eyewear doesn't truly compensate for this. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess how I know this!

That said... bring on the 7-inch monsters! And 100% flat, please!
I passed 25 a hell of a long time ago and I was effectively blind without corrective lenses long before I hit 25. I should use reading glasses as well and I have the always fun astigmatism but I still don't like huge ass phones and screens.

I'm old and don't really enjoy reading a phone screen of any size any more than I have too so if I'm going to read very much I'll pull out the Ipad, laptop, or PC. That said, I voted 14 Pro.

Just gave my wife an early mothers day present. Brand new S21 Ultra. She absolutely loves it. It's 6.8" screen size.

I like the size of the mini. That was what pretty much ALL phones were sized at a few years ago and nobody had an issue with it. Larger phones are great when you're using them, but they're a hassle to carry around in your pockets. That's one reason I hope more companies copy Samsung's Flip design instead of the "fold" thing. The flip design makes a large phone actually fit in your pockets while the fold thing is still a huge/awkward size and just folds into a tablet.

I like the size of the mini. That was what pretty much ALL phones were sized at a few years ago and nobody had an issue with it. Larger phones are great when you're using them, but they're a hassle to carry around in your pockets. That's one reason I hope more companies copy Samsung's Flip design instead of the "fold" thing. The flip design makes a large phone actually fit in your pockets while the fold thing is still a huge/awkward size and just folds into a tablet.
I was tossing out some particularly old phones (yes, I'm odd that way) and was amused at how so many phones from around 2009-2011 were so... tiny. Yeah, I could easily hold a Nokia X7 in my hand, but it now feels downright claustrophobic. I practically need a modern mid-to-large-sized screen based on my habits.

My favorite phone of all time in terms of size was the iPhone X to 11 Pro design. The sizing felt perfect, and it was comfortable to hold.

I'm really not a fan of Apple's choice to make the phones squared off. It's just not as comfortable to hold, and it feels bigger than it should be. Really hoping the 15 brings back the rounded off and thinner design.

Back