Do you enable or disable the music in a game?

Enabled or disabled?

• Enabled

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Disabled

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

NeghVar

2[H]4U
I have always played with the music disabled. Despite some games having excellent soundtracks such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and World of Warcraft. It interferes with my ability to listen to the area around me.
What about you?

I usually crank up the music (and dialogue) and turn down the sound effects. I don't need gunfire, explosions, car engines, and swords clashing to shake my room and I'd usually rather hear the tunes or people talking. I'd probably do the opposite if I was playing CS or whatever competitively, but I don't.

I haven't had World of Warcraft music on in...18 years? most time I have ALL the sounds muted.

I usually crank up the music (and dialogue) and turn down the sound effects. I don't need gunfire, explosions, car engines, and swords clashing to shake my room and I'd usually rather hear the tunes or people talking. I'd probably do the opposite if I was playing CS or whatever competitively, but I don't.
I have the dialog up high too. Especially for games that are heavily story-driven
I haven't had World of Warcraft music on in...18 years? most time I have ALL the sounds muted.
Same, but I have each expansion's soundtrack on my Plex server.

I turn the music to a level where it doesn't interfere with the sounds of the game world. Some games the sound effects need to be turned down to bring the music forward, while others are the opposite. If I am grinding something out where I'm not progressing the game, then I'll listen to my own music to make it seem to go quicker. I recently did this with the achievement in FFX for filling out the sphere grids of all 6 characters, which took at least 50 hours in addition to the rest of the game.

Depends on the game.... If it's a single player game like Dead Space or one of the Arkham games, the music is as important to the game as anything else. Call of Duty? Yeah that's turned off.

Usually enabled - the only games where I turn it off are Souls games because I just find it obnoxious and too bombastic which detracts from the solitude in those games (for me at least).

I usually put the music on about 50% if given the option to do so. And I put the dialogue on about 80 to 90%. I want to hear gunfire explosions as much as possible. What pisses me off in some games is that footsteps can be louder than a gun firing. And I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I find the two latest Doom games to have the most garbage audio of any games I've ever played with weak sounding guns and scratchy audio.

If I don't fancy the music then I'll disable it and leave the ambient sound/etc. If I want to focus on the gameplay and reduce tension for harder encounters I'll mute everything and play other music or nothing.

Poll needs a 'Depends' option ;)

Most of what I play is single player story driven games. As such I'd say that music is a pretty big part of the experience. I might balance. But I usually leave it on.

If anything I turn the music down, but never off.

80% is low enough to still enjoy it and not miss important sounds or dialogue.

If it's the first playthrough I'll leave it on. The longer I play the more likely I will mute all the audio and listen to something else. I don't really play multiplayer anymore so don't pay as much attention to audio cues. Back when I was in high school and playing TFC and every half way decent half life mp mod it was a bunch of movie soundtracks and cliche ass nu-metal on loop.

I might turn music down if I don't care for it or up if I really like it but I don't think I've ever turned it off.

I also sometimes adjust levels so that nothing is getting drowned out, on my old speakers with a weak center channel speaker dialog was often too quiet and now it's sometimes too loud. Some games like Far Cry I like to turn the music down fairly low so I can hear predators sneaking up on me and it's not music but other games *cough*GTA*cough* like to make motors super loud and then give you important information while you're driving somewhere so I turn bg audio down.

I do exactly the opposite louder the better, Michael Bay up in this bitch.

I have always played with the music disabled. Despite some games having excellent soundtracks such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and World of Warcraft. It interferes with my ability to listen to the area around me.
What about you?
Off. Can't concentrate with it.

Depends on the game and what not.
Usually, I have a show or movie playing on a second screen and second sound output, so I tend to shut off music in the games that I clearly "notice".

The few games that I give 100% focus to and dont have something playing, I leave their sounds and music on and adjust dialog to be loudest and all other stuff just below it and equal.

It depends.

If it's just the same few songs over and over (e.g., the Fallout games), then it gets turned off. Turning off the music also makes it easier to hear things that might otherwise be missed.

But if it's something where the music can actually give you a sense of environment and let you know if you're stepping into danger, then it stays on (e.g., Control, the music changes shortly before The Hiss starts throwing units at you).

If I'm playing through something like Civilization or Stellaris, I just play my own music.

Last edited:
Racing game: Disable
Everything else: Enable (maybe slightly lower volume)

Most of the time I do not like the in game music. Doom 2016 would be an exception. Only time I have purposely sought out a high bit rate copy of the soundtrack.

Older FPS like Q2 and UT, music definitely off. Don't want to miss those foot steps and audio clues when your opponent grabs a power up around the corner.

Leave it enabled but I've recently had a couple cases where the default music level was too loud so I dialed it back to better fit with the dialog and sound effects.

I always leave it on. Love the game music in The Division 1, Ola Strand is a great composer, there's nothing like the music where in you're in the Dark Zone(PVPvE area) solo extracting contaminated gear expecting rogues to show up at anytime.

Also TD1 Survival:

As someone else on here said, i'll leave it on the first time i play, then usually off unless it's something new or it's interesting. Of course, in games where you can import your own mp3's, etc; i'll play those.

On the days or nights I don't feel like listening to in-game music I keep it off and play various music from many different artists. Black Sabbath, Weird Al, Nightwish, Jinjer, and more.

There are other times when I'm doing a hardcore run where in-game music is necessary to realize threats. It is those times which in-game music really shines. Depending upon the game, of course.

In most games no. A single player, story driven game? Never.

In games that do have music but are more realistic like SWAT 4 I would turn off the music at times. I always play the game with music first, but in subsequent play throughs I would disable it to focus purely on the sounds in game. Whenever I replay the game I tend to have the music enabled. Subsequent mission replays I might disable it.

Back