Do you change your default modem password?

sh0rty

[H]ard|Gawd
I have moved around a lot over the years (military) and have always brought my own devices (modem & router) not using the ISPs. I am not sure if I feel more in control, but anyway that is what I do. With that said, I also always change the default passwords, but curious to know if this prevents the ISP from updating the firmware. I ask this because I am on spectrum in Texas and was using a Netgear CM1200 but was crashing my network almost daily. The critical and warning messages in the logs was like every minute of every day....crazy. Anway, I bought an Arris S33 and for the past few days it has been solid.
However, in all this it got me curious if when I changed the default password on the modem since it is mine and only the ISP can update firmware...should I change it back to default?

Yes, change the modem password.

No, it does not affect the ISP's ability to load firmware updates or settings/profile files required to interface with their network, nor perform any remote diagnostics. The ISP has it's own interface to the modem separate from the user's web admin GUI.

yes and my provider forces you too when you setup for the first time. also that^^^

Interesting. I have been using my own devices for as long as I can remember so I guess I dont even know what a normal process is like.
ages ago when i owned my modem i had to change it manually. their new modems, on first boot go immediately to a setup screen that makes you change the name and password. i thought it was a smart move.

Shouldn't make a difference, but just for giggles you can reset it and see if it fixes the crashing issue. If so, congrats! You found a bug! :eek:

Back