Do you care about 3D gaming?

Do you care about 3D gaming?

• Total voters
I agree with you, I couldn't abandon my beloved P-MVA monitor for a crappy TN 120Hz for the 3D effects, gotta love the pure whites and blacks of my monitor and not the yellowish whites and grayish blacks of current TN panels.

Not all TN panels are created equal. I have no problem with color reproduction or white and black fidelity with my AW2310s, the only issue with them are the viewing angles which isn't a problem when sitting right in front of them. The more I use 120Hz panels the more I'll never go back to slow 60Hz monitors for my primary gaming monitors, I've got a P-MVA 1920x1200 on my secondary rig I'd I want or need better color.

I played 3D for around 6 months. It was neat but now its just used for certain games like LFD2 and Batman. Now I use the display for 120Hz FPS gaming.

I have a 3D plasma and do think it's cool but I don't game exclusively in 3D mode. Uncharted 3 had the best 3D effects I've seen so far but I still played in 2D during parts of the game. Hopefully the 3D effects will get better. I find that any part of the game that's dark isn't fun in 3D, ghosting is more noticeable and the 3D effect isn't as good as when it's in a bright setting.

I have a 3D plasma and do think it's cool but I don't game exclusively in 3D mode. Uncharted 3 had the best 3D effects I've seen so far but I still played in 2D during parts of the game. Hopefully the 3D effects will get better. I find that any part of the game that's dark isn't fun in 3D, ghosting is more noticeable and the 3D effect isn't as good as when it's in a bright setting.

How does 3D work on the PS3? If it's a passive technology you can't compare that to active.

Doesnt interest me at all. Guess Im too stuck in my old ways but it doesnt appeal to me. Im more than happy with my 2D graphics. They bring 3D out every decade or so it seems and it never really goes anywhere.

Given that 3D movies still suck and they've been around a long time, 3D games can only suck even more.

I care about 3D, I just don't care about the stereoscopic trickery they describe as 3D :p

I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with 3D games, only played a bit of GT5 in 3D on a 3D TV, not yet on a PC monitor. But every form of stereoscopic 3D I've tried, it looks great when stationary but my eyes separate the images when things start to move, making everything disorientating and really not pleasant. I hope the 3D fad once again gets swept under the rug and stops posing a distraction.

But think of it this way. Due to 5 year old computers running dual cores and 8800s (or worse) and laptops, gaming graphics can't really advance along with the constantly increasing output from high end graphics. But it means on better graphics cards they have something to do. So it is something of a natural progression.

Also 3d means you need twice the power to render the same stuff. Sure you might be able to run crysis at enthusiast whatever on 3 monitors at 100fps, but that isn't good enough to run crysis on 3 monitors in 3d. So it can spur people into upgrades of their 8800s.

The monitor tech is moving forward too. Blue phase crystal monitors should be here soon, with faster than TN panel response and 240hz output, but with better/equal quality and cheaper than laggy expensive IPS. It kind of makes it perfect for 3d.

Given that 3D movies still suck and they've been around a long time, 3D games can only suck even more.

Actually there a number of good 3D movies, cartoons are the best, Again I don't get the hate. Haters are just going to have to accept the fact that the technology and implementation are both improving and are to the point where there are a good number of people that enjoy 3D Even in this forum which is as anti-3D as it gets and a good 20% voted Yes in this poll. Not bad for something that sucks.

I don't watch every movie or play every game in 3D, far from it, it simply doesn't work well in most things, even some content that supposedly supports it. But there's enough content that works great with it and 3D is now just a part digital life.

I think it's here to stay and as long as the technology is available on the PC I'll be investing in it. It really has added a lot to my entertainment enjoyment and I understand that I may be in a minority and I'm certainly no trying to convince those that hate that they should like it. And haters certainly aren't going to convince me that it sucks across the board after having been into it for going on 2 years now.

How does 3D work on the PS3? If it's a passive technology you can't compare that to active.

What do you mean by passive or active? When I enable 3D in the game menu my TV switches to 3D mode and I put on my active shutter glasses. On a side note I have xfire 6950's in my main pc. What would I need to hook it up to my 3D plasma to game in 3D?

I can only imagine it being nothing but distracting to actually enjoying the game play, rather than just the graphics. I don't care about it at all.

I want to see a 1080p 60 fps version of gaming using zebra imaging tech needing no glasses.:cool:

Not all TN panels are created equal. I have no problem with color reproduction or white and black fidelity with my AW2310s, the only issue with them are the viewing angles which isn't a problem when sitting right in front of them. The more I use 120Hz panels the more I'll never go back to slow 60Hz monitors for my primary gaming monitors, I've got a P-MVA 1920x1200 on my secondary rig I'd I want or need better color.

TN blacks are sucky at best, they had been improved somewhat with LED based TN monitors, but at the architecture level, TN's will never be able to beat P-MVA in the black department as the Twisted Nematics approach of LCD transistors will always cause bleeding when displaying blacks, P-MVA doesn't have such limitations. :)

Not a fan of 3D, I wear glasses already I don't need another set. 120hz monitors? GIMME.

What do you mean by passive or active? When I enable 3D in the game menu my TV switches to 3D mode and I put on my active shutter glasses. On a side note I have xfire 6950's in my main pc. What would I need to hook it up to my 3D plasma to game in 3D?

Thanks you answered my question, it's an active technology. Does it impact frame rates?

TN blacks are sucky at best, they had been improved somewhat with LED based TN monitors, but at the architecture level, TN's will never be able to beat P-MVA in the black department as the Twisted Nematics approach of LCD transistors will always cause bleeding when displaying blacks, P-MVA doesn't have such limitations. :)

Currently no LCD monitor technology has it all, you give up something no matter what. If color reproduction is you thing, go for it. For me, even when doing conventional 2D gaming I'm really finding the 120Hz panels to provide an advantage in gaming.

I like 3D. I just don't have the required video cards at the moment as I'm waiting on Kepler to do it right. In the meantime 2D 120Hz gaming is nice though.

At first I was all, "wow, this is amazing." Then I was all "eh, for some reason I'm not interested in using it for more than 20-30 minutes, never mind this."

Then Skyrim and Trine 2 came out and now I'm all "Holy crap, this looks so much more amazing."

The reduction in brightness does kind of suck, and I still toggle sometimes to appreciate the art design the way it was meant to be enjoyed. I guess 3D Vision 2 addresses that, but it's not like I'm going to dump my three existing monitors for it.

Also, apart from 3D, 120hz monitors are totally worth it for...120hz, if you play any FPS or simulators.

Last edited:
I guess 3D Vision 2 addresses that, but it's not like I'm going to dump my three existing monitors for it.

You still some darkness reduction and crosstalk improvements with 3D Vision 2 I thought or are all of the benefits tied to Lightboost monitors?

this 3d sucks with glasses.

they need to make 3d like the telephones in starwars

Yeah, I do. I just recently setup up a 3D vision set, and it's been great. Certain titles are simply a lot better in 3D. Skyrim is incredible. Some games either don't work with it, or I don't like how they look. BF3 I leave in 2D, which is fine, because at 120hz it plays a lot more fluid, so I'm still getting my monies worth out of the monitor. I also have a 3D projector, and I'm a sucker for 3D movies. I've been snatching up ever 3D Blu-ray I can get my hands on. I'm getting good use out of my investment.

I've been hearing a log of praise of Skyrim in 3D and considering how everyone loves it I may have to pick it up even though it's not my kind of game, but I figure and I can get some entertainment out of it even if I don't play it much.

I've been on the 3D movie kick myself, they really are getting pretty good, I got the Smurfs in 3D, grew up watching the cartoon and liked and that they did a great job with the 3D in it, there's one scene and the beginning that really freaked me out with the flying bats or whatever they were, it literally had me swatting at the things.

I only like the 120hz monitors for the 2D smoothness while gaming. I can careless about 3D

Just nit picking, but if you "care less" that implies that you still care somewhat. Proper English dictates the use of the phrase "I couldn't care less"... unless you do actually do care?

Yea wake me up when you don't have to wear silly glasses. Come on, it was cool when I was 7 years old, but really, we're still wearing those glasses?!?!?

Do I care about it? Absolutely. It will someday be awesome and mainstream, but for now its an expensive hassle without good results. So while I care (meaning I WANT some good, cheap 3d) I wont be jumping on this bandwagon anytime soon. Come back in 3-5 years and this poll will meaningless, everything will have the option of 3d. From windows to games to spreadsheets. And there will be lots of people who use it and lots who don't, but it will be pervasively marketed because it will push demand in the hardware industry.

Is there any way to make 3d PC games work on a 3D plasma if I have an ATI video card?

Nope. It's currently too expensive and I don't believe it adds anything to the game except giving me a headache.

Are there any other 120hz 27" monitors coming out soon that will work with AMD (for doing 3d as well)? Right now my understanding is Samsung is the way to go with AMD graphics, and the Asus monitor is the choice for Nvidia graphics.

I wore those glasses and never got a headache at all, but my eyes gets watery and feels a bit warm, like when you are having fever. May be my eyes are ROP limited loll

I like the idea of it, but I think it's less enjoyable than an eyefinity setup. As it is now, I'm perfectly happy gaming on my 24" single monitor for now.

I have seen it a few times and have never been Impressed. Just never seems to be implemented in any meaningful way or at least in a way that doesn't detract from the experience.

I like the idea of it, but I think it's less enjoyable than an eyefinity setup. As it is now, I'm perfectly happy gaming on my 24" single monitor for now.

The two can be used in combination. Playing Batman Arkham City in 3D Surround is just fucking incredible. Discounting those that have physical issues with the technology (fortunately I don't) I bet a lot of people would get a different perspective of 3D with that game that aren't so favorable about it now.

Back