Do you buy a game for single player or multiplayer?

Do you buy games for the single player experiance, or the Multiplayer Mayhem?

• Single player experiance.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Multiplayer Experiance.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • It depends on the game.

Votes: 51 53.1%

• Total voters

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive been reading more and more threads about single player games being short, and unsatisfying.

Me, I cant stand single player anymore, Its just to linear, and "go here, shoot this/talk to this, then go here". Gets pretty boring if you ask me. I bought medal of honor when it first came out, and have not even made it past the 2nd level of single player..

Yeah, I totally agree, that 5 hours to finish a campaign really isnt worht spending, hell 10 dollars on anymore.(prolly one of the reasons i refuses to buy games with out multiplayer) What happened to the good old days when it took a week/few weeks to beat a game..

Thats the reason I never buy a game for the story anymore, Im sad to say, if it doesnt have multiplayer, I 90% of the time pass it up..

So Im curious, Do people really buy games for the single player only experience?

Depends on the game. Bad Company 2, I bought for multi-player. Dragon Age 2, I bought for single player.

If you find single player games "short" then perhaps you are buying the wrong ones. Some games are designed with MP in mind and a bit of single player bolted on. BC2 would be one of those. The SP is an afterthought, the MP is why they made it. Other games are SP focused, or even SP exclusive. The recent Bioware RPGs, like DA2, have no multi-player, at all.

Definitely multiplayer. I can't think of a single player game that I've actually finished besides Portal 1 and 2, and that's out of plenty I own: Dragon Age, The Witcher, Bioshock, or any of the releases released 1-3 years ago. Since then, I've finally gotten smart enough not to bother buying a single player game since I won't even play half of it.

Depends on the game. Looking at my steam library though, BC2 and CS1.6 are the only games I bother playing MP in. So...I guess for most games I would say SP.

"Depends on the game". I bought Bad Company 2 for multiplayer but I definitely didn't buy the STALKER games for the same reason. :cool:

Depends on the game. In terms of volume though I mostly buy single player games. Most of my favorite games of all times are their due to single player reasons. I usually only play 1-2 multiplayer games at a time over a long period, so in terms of hour spent I get much more out a multiplayer title. But I get more enjoyment per hour out a single player title.

Basically if I had to pick a game to play for a set amount of hours (say 10) I'd pick a single player title. If I had to say pick a single game to play over a period of time (say 6 months) I'd pick a multiplayer title.

Honestly I only play it for single player. I barely play online unless it's like MMOs.

I don't know what's wrong with me but I only play until I beat the game and I never touch it ever again.

Depends...

Single player shooter campaigns are a bit too scripted for my liking, so it's MP all the way for most of my action games.

A good RPG is a different animal though. Certain open world RPGs like Fallout3/NV, Oblivion i've put far too many hours into :p

I haven't bought a game for its multiplayer in seven years. I'll probably get back into it at some point, but MP just holds no appeal to me right now.

I've been getting games mostly for single player. The last multiplayer game I played extensively was WoW, and I played it cooperatively.

Depends, but when it comes to shooters, almost exclusively multiplayer. The way they are designed today bores me to tears. When I play a game, I want to have control of my character and impact the story. I rather read a good book than suffer through something that could have been written by Michael Bay.

Depends on the game. I mean there are great games for both sides and I'll try anything that peaks my interest.

Sadly most shooters for the PC these days are far better on the MP side then single player. Most single player games I play are now are RPG type games or strategy.

Single player all the way. For me gaming is a personal experience,I look for games with a good story that immerses you in the action. I find multi-player boring,you're basically just running around trying to rack up kills.

Definitely depends on the game. Some games like infamous are a singleplayer game and I enjoy it as it is. Same with HL and Portal.

Games like CoD and Bad Company I only really care about MP.

Strictly single player here. I just don't have the large chunks of time anymore to dedicate to multiplayer.

It depends on the game, though I'm gonna vote for single player as these days I really dont buy/play multiplayer games anymore. I just dont have time to sit down for a couple of hours at a time to actually get in the groove of a multiplayer game. The last multiplayer game I played was BFBC2 and I only played about 50 hours and that was while I was still an undergrad.

Strictly multiplayer, but I could see that changing soon. I'm no longer wanting to play games for a length of time, but I really don't enjoy SP games at all. Diablo 3 needs to come out and cure that problem. Play it on Bnet, but it's very easy to do a run or level real quack and hop off.

Single player only for me.

I play games for the escape. So I can forget about my 2 crappy jobs, bills and so on. I like to become engrossed and immersed in a game so I want a good story and atmosphere but I want good, fun action. Dead Space, Batman AA, Mass Effect, Half Life 2 and Borderlands for example are like heroin to me.

Plus I don't get to game that much. Its usually after the wife and kid turn in for the night and I get maybe an hour so SP is also more convenient for me.

I tried multiplayer a couple times and discovered it wasn't for me. Way way too many douchebags and keyboard commandos on there.

completely depends on the game. Shooters like COD and such are purely for the MP. In fact, I probably have at least 2-300 hours into black ops, yet only 1-2 of those hours was focused on the SP campaign. Still haven't bothered finishing it. Its the same with BC2 as well.

Most other games are purchased for SP

Last edited:
5 years ago? MP
Today? SP

I enjoy great stories, and great campaigns over playing the same maps every night making zero progress.

Back