Do you agree with Hardocp?

AMD's GPU program for the first time has truly reminded us of its CPU program.

• Total voters
100% of Cry Engine using games with Evolve having first place obviously ;) Oh and Sleeping dogs.

Evolve actually wouldn't be the worst idea, it's running a much more up to date version of the Cryengine than Crysis 3 (uses PBR for one). Better optimized as well.

AMD is basically irrelevant in both CPUs and now the GPU market. If they manage to claim 2 out of 10 dGPUs sold this quarter it'll be a miracle.

At least VIA carved out their own little niche market. AMD doesn't even have that.

the 980ti is within what, 5% of a Titan X? and I'm talking about stock numbers, lets wait for real ocing of the fury cards to happen before you make OC comparisons.
Already done, OC'ed Fury X beats TitanX/980Ti by about 2-4% that's OC vs Stock once you get the 980ti OC'ed with non reference it once again 10-20% walks way from the Fury X.

Sorry Bro Fury X is close to tapped out by voltages off OEM PCB

If AMD wants to play the part of the heroic underdog, they have to be honest, which they are not. They are being almost as deceptive as Nvidia right now. Maybe I would have sympathy if they were honest before the launch. But all of that lying from their PR/Marketing people, who WERE told by non-PR/Marketing management to say what they said (I laugh when people act like the marketing/PR people in companies are rogue actors not actually part of the same company), makes me not care in the least about their situation. If they refuse to offer consumer-friendly products or prices, then let them go bankrupt or get bought, and hope that frees up just enough space for a new competitor to give competing-with-nvidia a shot. Maybe even some of the more talented of AMD would join the new company and be more successful there without bad management bogging them down.

I completely agree that honesty would help their cause. This is one industry where it's hard to hide the truth.

Now ... My last job our marketing would sell products we didn't even make. Rogue PR is somewhat possible to me. Hell look at the 970 fiasco. The director of PR offered returns then those posts disappeared. He went rouge to someone.

While Im disappointed in this launch Im not ready to start calling for the demise of AMD. This was a flat launch and really only due to price. If the Fury X drops down to $475 it would be a perfectly fine card. Its not a bad card, its just priced wrong because its not fast enough to compete with a 980 Ti. This is the first bad launch AMD has had in as long as I can remember. Their GPU lines have always been competitive with Nvidia's all the way up to the 200 series.

While it might be true that this is the beginning of the end for AMD, I dont see it as that yet. This is no worse than the Fermi launch IMO. Again, its all about price. If theyd priced the Fury X to compete with the GTX 980, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

While Im disappointed in this launch Im not ready to start calling for the demise of AMD. This was a flat launch and really only due to price. If the Fury X drops down to $475 it would be a perfectly fine card. Its not a bad card, its just priced wrong because its not fast enough to compete with a 980 Ti. This is the first bad launch AMD has had in as long as I can remember. Their GPU lines have always been competitive with Nvidia's all the way up to the 200 series.

While it might be true that this is the beginning of the end for AMD, I dont see it as that yet. This is no worse than the Fermi launch IMO. Again, its all about price. If theyd priced the Fury X to compete with the GTX 980, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

After having a week to think about it, this is the way I feel as well.
I think they may have bitten off more than they can chew trying to go HBM this soon but maybe it will pay off and a totally different conversation is in the works in the coming months when we see how they iterate on this new platform.

Fermi was hot and loud but it was still the fastest GPU when released unlike the Fury X.

So its ok to be hot and loud as long as you have the speed

At that time? Yes. Even with that said Nvidia suffered a huge backlash which forced them to do a rapid release cycle with the 500 Series that helped a little bit and ultimately lead to investing millions of dollars into new cooling designs which paid dividends from the 600 Series onwards. If AMD did a <9 month cycle then this might not be a big deal, but with 2 year cycles it's doubtful.

In a way you could say it was the best thing that ever happened to Nvidia. Made them learn from their mistakes and look at what correcting those did for them now. Not trying to bring the fanboys into this, but if you look over the past 4 years from the AMD side it's been nothing but, "Well well wait for X Series it's going to change the game!" That attitude is a direct reflection from AMD in and of itself.

I hear guys like Ryan Shrout @ PCPer say that AMD had to release a high-end card in this price range to compete with Nvidia and save face. NO, they did not. They are not in that position to do that when you have 25% market share and it's going down.

The card is equal to TI performance when you OC it slightly. IMO the drivers are the only thing holding it down right now. Its a little underwhelming, but not as bad as people have made it out to be, by a long shot.

Already done, OC'ed Fury X beats TitanX/980Ti by about 2-4% that's OC vs Stock once you get the 980ti OC'ed with non reference it once again 10-20% walks way from the Fury X.

Sorry Bro Fury X is close to tapped out by voltages off OEM PCB

Where was it done? All I have seen is no voltage modification OCing.

One of the problems with going down down down on pricing (other than the obvious margins issue) is that people subconsciously think there is something wrong with the product. "Why is it priced so much less than its competition?" It reinforces the "budget brand" albatross that is killing AMD. Then you have to compete with the mentality that is, "If I'm going to outlay a decent chunk of cash, I might as well splurge the little extra and get the best on the market."

Cutting the price isn't going to help anything.

AMD needs to stop screwing around. Unfortunately I fear that there may have been a brain drain over the past few years. People probably saw the writing on the wall and left the sinking ship. The best people always leave first. I know AMD has picked up some big names in important high-up positions, but down at the ground level the proof is in the pudding.

You guys are nuts if you OV / OC the Fury X as is. With temps already at 60C and VRMs at 100C there's no place to go but house fires.

I think where it's at will be the Fury Lightning (or a card with substantial VRMs) with full cover blocks.

if I were to buy one I would make a metal shim to bo between the VRMs and back plaate...

if I were to buy one I would make a metal shim to bo between the VRMs and back plaate...

I'd full cover it and epoxy on heatsinks to the back to be honest. Aesthetics have a 0% weighting factor for me. I haven't done the math on the Fury X VRM capacity but I know out of the box people are nuts if they OV it due to temps. It probably has some wattage capacity if cooled better.

Fermi was hot and loud but it was still the fastest GPU when released unlike the Fury X.

It was really hot and loud even with aftermarket coolers and only marginally faster than the 5800 cards. It was bad enough that [H] couldnt recommend them at all. Again its about pricing. If the Fury X was $500, this wouldnt be an issue at all. The Fury X is only a bad card because of where its priced. If AMD fixes this, theyre back being competitive again. Yeah Nvidia will hold the single card performance crown with the $1000 Titan X and the $700 980 Ti but so what? AMD would be competitive at all price points below that. Now granted if AMD's next line of cards are just a marginal increase like these then Ill probably join the chorus of those saying this looks like doom for AMD.

Now granted if AMD's next line of cards are just a marginal increase like these then Ill probably join the chorus of those saying this looks like doom for AMD.

AMD probably won't have anything new for a year or so. How they are going to scrape by on such low marketshare is impossible to say.

I tend to agree with [H]. As an unapologetic member of Team Green, I don't want to see the marginalization or demise of AMD. A single dominant player in the GPU, or any, industry ain't good for the consumers.

It was really hot and loud even with aftermarket coolers and only marginally faster than the 5800 cards. It was bad enough that [H] couldnt recommend them at all. Again its about pricing. If the Fury X was $500, this wouldnt be an issue at all. The Fury X is only a bad card because of where its priced. If AMD fixes this, theyre back being competitive again. Yeah Nvidia will hold the single card performance crown with the $1000 Titan X and the $700 980 Ti but so what? AMD would be competitive at all price points below that. Now granted if AMD's next line of cards are just a marginal increase like these then Ill probably join the chorus of those saying this looks like doom for AMD.

980 Ti is $650 and it comes with a free game, not $700. And yes Fury X might be a bit more competitive if it was $550 or less but it's not so it's only good for AMD fanboys at this point.

980 Ti is $650 and it comes with a free game, not $700. And yes Fury X might be a bit more competitive if it was $550 or less but it's not so it's only good for AMD fanboys at this point.

OK fine, $650. My point is that everybody's crying that this is the end of AMD because the Fury X isn't as fast as the 980Ti. If AMD lowers the price to $500-525, and I think they will soon, it'll be a perfectly competitive card. The only thing wrong with the Fury X is it's price. This is also the first bad GPU release AMD has had in a loooooong while. Everything from the 3000 series to the 200 has been solid and competitive. One slip doesn't equal their CPU department that has been weak and behind for coming up on a decade now.

But you're definitely right, at $650 there is absolutely no reason to buy it as the 980Ti is better in speed, power, heat, overclocking and pretty much every other metric for the same money.

The only thing wrong with the Fury X is it's price. This is also the first bad GPU release AMD has had in a loooooong while.

More things wrong than just the price. One of them being that it's the first card we've seen in a long time (possibly ever?) that doesn't beat the competing product across the board. Oversold it and called it the "fastest GPU in the world", which it wasn't.

They went out of their way to name it something special like "Titan" by calling it "Fury" so people now must treat it as a direct comparison since that's what AMD is doing. Instead they could have sold it for cheaper and called it 390X where it would directly compete, and CRUSH the 980. They goofed.

Honestly, if they keep this up, then they'll go under. Everyone says that it will be bad for the industry but come on - at one time 3dfx Interactive ruled the roost and Nvidia wasn't even a blip on the radar.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the end - no one really knows what will happen.

More things wrong than just the price. One of them being that it's the first card we've seen in a long time (possibly ever?) that doesn't beat the competing product across the board. Oversold it and called it the "fastest GPU in the world", which it wasn't.

They went out of their way to name it something special like "Titan" by calling it "Fury" so people now must treat it as a direct comparison since that's what AMD is doing. Instead they could have sold it for cheaper and called it 390X where it would directly compete, and CRUSH the 980. They goofed.

jck.gif

Ummm....right. It's priced too high and competing against the 980Ti instead of selling for $500 and competing against the 980. So yeah, the only thing wrong with it is the price. Could've sworn that's I said.

I don't care too much about marketing hype. I don't think anybody buys that shit anymore regardless of the company making it.

Last edited:
Ummm....right. It's priced too high and competing against the 980Ti instead of selling for $500 and competing against the 980. So yeah, the only thing wrong with it is the price. Could've sworn that's I said.

I don't care too much about marketing hype. I don't think anybody buys that shit anymore regardless of the company making it.

No, that was a reaffirmation to what you were saying with the addition that it was marketed completely in the wrong category besides the price.

One of the "many" issues I was referring to besides price in the original post was that it didn't come out the gate after a nearly 2 year cycle and sweep the benchmarks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but I think marketing has a bigger effect then you or even I would think. To the people where it matters, like many on these forums, they'll know and remember that and spread the information. Any bad publicity gets amplified exponentially. People to this day still think of AMD in the old sense when the drivers were horrid despite the fact they've improved drastically.

Last edited:
OK fine, $650. My point is that everybody's crying that this is the end of AMD because the Fury X isn't as fast as the 980Ti.

To me that's not even the big issue. It's that from top to bottom their line-up is weak from a market demand perspective. I mean Fury X is still just an enthusiast card. You need more than that to make money and the rest of the 300 series is a rehash of a set of cards that, for whatever reason, did not sell well against nvidia in the last round. So I don't see how they're going to gain ground with these new products. In fact I don't see how they don't lose more ground.

The card is equal to TI performance when you OC it slightly. IMO the drivers are the only thing holding it down right now. Its a little underwhelming, but not as bad as people have made it out to be, by a long shot.

Slightly? More like it's max OC.

Agree 100%. Great card at $500 or so. At $650 it's outclassed. Don't care about potential driver updates at this point. Got to show me the money today AMD.

I know it wouldn't happen but I can't help but wonder what people would be saying if next week they slashed the price $100 and offered rebates to early adopters.

Unfortunately Fury X's only claim to fame is an AIO with a loud pump that drives people nuts.

You in no way responded to what I wrote... I was not talking about the Fury X but ok?

Nope, see: 290X.

Lol exactly, very similar to Fermi but apparently people cannot see that comparison.
Hell even the post about investing in cooling after Fermi didn't seem to realize that the Fury X did the same thing as far as upgrading the cooler.

One of the "many" issues I was referring to besides price in the original post was that it didn't come out the gate after a nearly 2 year cycle and sweep the benchmarks.

That seems to be the new normal though. Look at what's been going on with CPUs in the same time frame.

Without a die shrink you aren't going to see the massive gains we remember from previous generations.

I used to use AMD CPU's about 15 years ago. I really got annoyed with AMD when they constantly did their bragging "First to 1GHz." to rub it in the nose of Intel. Then "First to 2GHz." again to rub it in the nose of Intel. Then when Intel was first to 3GHz, AMD suddenly started saying "Well, speed doesn't matter, it is CORES!". To me, that was bull.

I was also a long time ATI fan. I've used about 4-5 times more ATI/AMD video cards than nVidia (I've only used the 3GB GTX 580, GTX 560Ti, GTX 780 Classified, and GTX 980 ... I've used over 18 different ATI cards, and still have one). But honestly, when AMD bought ATI, I really hated what AMD management did with ATI.

The Fury X is a good card, it is on par with the GTX 980Ti (a little slower, a couple less features) but given their driver history and the fanboy cries of "Wait for better drivers and DriectX 12", I think it is once again just an excuse.

I'm still waiting for FreeSync to be a SERIOUS compeditor to G-Sync (which in addition to having a better lower end VRR monitor) would also need drivers that allow FreeSync to work in windowed mode, with multiple monitors and with multiple video cards in Windows 7/8/8.1.

IMO, the who Fury X thing is just a test bed for HBM GEN 1, and to fend off the GTX 980Ti, nothing more. The problem is, AMD hyped the heck out of this card to be the "Second Coming" and when it failed to be the "Titan Killer" (or even the Ti Killer), that is why it's perception is so bad.

Honestly, AMD could very well be forced to sell it's graphics division (which I would actually like) to a company like Samsung. Maybe then, ATI will return to it's glory, out from under the HORRIBLE management that is AMD, and give nVidia REAL competition, especially when it won't be fighting a losing TWO front war with nVidia AND Intel.

Last edited:
Bias in review .....never
Quote:The GeForce GTX 980 Ti is giving the middle finger to AMD in this game.
About as blatant and unprofessional as you can get

Its not a bad card. It doesn't have to be the fastest thing out there for me to like this card. Its about the overall package. The smaller form factor. The AIO cooling solution and its over all looks which look absolutely stunning to me.

Im tired of the mega huge video cards with fans galore. The Fury X gives you comparable perf in such a smaller form factor and that's great and the reason why I'm leaning towards the Fury X this round.

Yeah that I agree with. It is a let down no matter what. We've been waiting a while for the 390x only to find out its just an overclocked 290x and then the mack daddy Fury X comes out and is only competitive with Nvidia's 3rd from the top card.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but I think marketing has a bigger effect then you or even I would think. To the people where it matters, like many on these forums, they'll know and remember that and spread the information. Any bad publicity gets amplified exponentially. People to this day still think of AMD in the old sense when the drivers were horrid despite the fact they've improved drastically.

Gotta agree here too I guess. AMD always automatically get the shitstorm whenever something of theirs doesnt live up to snuff. This is the first lackluster GPU release from them since acquiring ATI and everybody is shitting their pants that this is the end and AMD probably should just board up their offices and their employees should just go to barber college.

**edit**

Something else I just noticed too. [H] is generally my one stop shop for reviews so I really didnt check out any other sites. Now that I have, pretty much everybody else is giving the Fury X high scores. Why is [H] the only one thats trashing it so hard? OC3D even gave it a Gold award and stated, "its good to have you back AMD!" However its £50 cheaper than the 980 Ti so that could explain it.

Last edited:
Something else I just noticed too. [H] is generally my one stop shop for reviews so I really didnt check out any other sites. Now that I have, pretty much everybody else is giving the Fury X high scores. Why is [H] the only one thats trashing it so hard? OC3D even gave it a Gold award and stated, "its good to have you back AMD!" However its £50 cheaper than the 980 Ti so that could explain it.

Because if you don't put AMDs cards in a favorable light, you're out of the loop as far as AMD samples are concerned. See the recent debacle with kitguru (in the end the guy was absolutely spot on in his video editorial).

Because if you don't put AMDs cards in a favorable light, you're out of the loop as far as AMD samples are concerned. See the recent debacle with kitguru (in the end the guy was absolutely spot on in his video editorial).

Did you even watch the video? Doesn't look as though you did.

Back