Do we know what DDR3 speeds Ivy Bridge will require/support?

grambo

[H]ard|Gawd
This article @ AT suggests DDR3-1600: http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...g=intel-roadmap-ivy-bridge-panther-point-ssds

Does this mean that there is no point in getting 1833 if one is planning on getting an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU and multiplier overclocking? DDR3 is so cheap right now, I'm tempted to grab 8-16GB for my Ivy Bridge build (April 2012). I've been burned before by rising memory prices, and I just can't see DDR3 getting cheaper in the next 9 months.

Thanks

DDR3 is expected to fall in price dramatically over the next year, actually. So waiting until Ivy Bridge comes, as well as perhaps the 7000 series or Kepler cards to come out, is a good idea. DDR3 will be cheaper by then, probably by quite a bit. $30 for a 4GB 1333mhz set right now will be about $25 by January (expected release of Ivy Bridge). Well, that's what people are expecting, anyway. I'm not fortune teller.

With sandy bridge the maximum officially supported speed is 1333 but on the unlocked chips you can run at higher speeds. I suspect that ivy bridge will be similar just with a higher officially supported speed.

As for memory prices 4 gigabit desktop chips (which give a single rank 4 gigabyte module or a dual rank 8 gigabyte module) are just starting to come onto the market. I'd expect this to drive down the price of existing modules.

Last edited:
DDR3 is expected to fall in price dramatically over the next year, actually. So waiting until Ivy Bridge comes, as well as perhaps the 7000 series or Kepler cards to come out, is a good idea. DDR3 will be cheaper by then, probably by quite a bit. $30 for a 4GB 1333mhz set right now will be about $25 by January (expected release of Ivy Bridge). Well, that's what people are expecting, anyway. I'm not fortune teller.

Really? Do you have any sources that speculate the prices will drop? Glad to hear that though, I will hold off and see what happens, also probably a good idea to see what actually happens with Ivy Bridge, maybe there will be a benefit to running higher RAM speeds, although I'm guessing it will be the same as SB.

Edit: just saw the other thread, and this article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/30/dramatic_plunge_in_ram_price/

With sandy bridge the maximum officially supported speed is 1333 but on the unlocked chips you can run at higher speeds. I suspect that ivy bridge will be similar just with a higher officially supported speed.

As for memory prices 4 gigabit desktop chips (which give a single rank 4 gigabyte module or a dual rank 8 gigabyte module) are just starting to come onto the market. I'd expect this to drive down the price of existing modules.

Ah, 8GB DIMMs, would be nice to run 2x 8GB for a total of 16GB and not deal with any of the 4 DIMM overclocking issues that seem to crop up now and then.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread I started back in September. From the leaked specs (see http://www.anandtech.com/show/5166/ivy-bridge-overview) DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 are "confirmed".

With Sandy/Ivy Bridge, is there any advantage to going past DDR3-1600 for gaming and general desktop use? I can't see memory bandwidth being an issue in these common scenarios. DDR3-1600 is significantly cheaper than faster speeds. I'm planning on going 16GB most likely, possibly 2x8GB if the 8GB DIMM prices come down a bit. Yes, 16GB is overkill but I am doing it anyway.

I will be overclocking, but the memory speed is independent when using multiplier overclocking. Does changing the base clock have an effect on the memory speed on SB?

Back