Do usb 2 and usb 3 sockets use the same power connection point

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
So usb 3 can supply more power in terms of ma's than usb 2 but do they both use the same connection in the same position.

For example if you plug a usb 2 device into a usb 3 port with a usb 3 cable will you get more power (available milliamps) available than you would if you plugged it into a usb 2 port?

(I know bought usb 2 devices will be designed to only need usb 2 power.)

Looking at a pinout (wiki has a decent one), most USB 3.0 devices use the same power line as USB2.0. There is a special variant of USB 3.0 that has an extra power and ground, but I haven't seen that before.

That implies it's up to the host to supply more power.

So usb 3 can supply more power in terms of ma's than usb 2 but do they both use the same connection in the same position.

For example if you plug a usb 2 device into a usb 3 port with a usb 3 cable will you get more power (available milliamps) available than you would if you plugged it into a usb 2 port?

(I know bought usb 2 devices will be designed to only need usb 2 power.)

Quick point of order, the maximum power that can be delivered via USB changed with the transition from the A/B ports to the C port; not from 2.0 to 3.0.

No. Not unless your "USB2" device isn't standard compliant and is lying about what it is and attempts to request higher USB-C levels of power, and your cable is non-standard compliant and lying about what its connectors are to trick the USB-C power supply into giving higher current levels. Going the other direction cables that connected to C devices and A power supplies that claimed to be C on both ends were common for the first year or so of the standard from no-name manufacturers in China; but have been chased off the market by people who've done testing and reported them. That was important for safety reasons because many cheap USB-A power supplies were designed with the assumption that no one would ever attempt to draw more power than the existing spec allowed, and if the cable lied and told a phone/tablet it could draw 3amps instead of 2/2.4A the charger would attempt to do so but would suffer voltage drops and overheat potentially causing a fire from the overcurrent.

Back