Do these external drives read Bluray?

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
The only reference I see to that drive being a Blu-ray drive is in the listing name.

Blu-ray requires an entirely different (blue versus red) laser to read the disks. So there aren't any magical "DVD-only" drives which are capable of reading Blu-rays.

No it doesn't look like a Bluray drive but I also emailed the seller who said it can read Bluray, DVDs and CDs.

Though it would be a lot of trouble to send it back if it turned out to be just a dvd and cd drive.

Ok I asked the seller if he can double check that it plays Blu-ray and that it isn't a mistake in the listing name.

Last edited:
I would expect a Blu-Ray logo on the front of the drive tray in the picture if it supported Blu-Ray since it has all the logos for the other formats, as well as having it listed in the technical description.

This has both, but its from overseas and the price doesn't include import duties/taxes:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slim-Por...36822?pt=AU_OpticalDrives&hash=item3f15e2fbf6

Doesn't look like it supports Blu-Ray. Especially since there doesn't appear to be anything else much under $50 that purports to support Blu-Ray reading in even a full size bare drive.

Yeah I asked the seller again to double check and he said there was a mistake in the title, it is what I expected.

Back