do the opty 165 and 170s have the same steppings?

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
i was wondering this cuz i see all these threads about ppl oc'ing their 170s, getting 2.7+ ghz all over the place, but i never see anyone touting their 165. and then i see baron whoring his 165, and i look at his cpu-z validation link, expecting something like 2.8 or 2.9, but its not even 2.7? unless it was at like 1.3v or something like that, im confused. i thought the only difference was like a64 3000 vs 3200 or opty 144 vs 146, the 9x multiplier vs the 10x multiplier.

Soymilk said:
i was wondering this cuz i see all these threads about ppl oc'ing their 170s, getting 2.7+ ghz all over the place, but i never see anyone touting their 165. and then i see baron whoring his 165, and i look at his cpu-z validation link, expecting something like 2.8 or 2.9, but its not even 2.7? unless it was at like 1.3v or something like that, im confused. i thought the only difference was like a64 3000 vs 3200 or opty 144 vs 146, the 9x multiplier vs the 10x multiplier.

that multiplier makes a world of difference.
it takes 289 to hit 2.6 and 300FSB to hit 2.7 on a 165 where as the 170 can do 2.7 at 270FSB. You start hitting the limits of some of the boards out there.

so theres no difference between them? and ya i guess if you dont have like a dfi nf4 ultra-d or something like that, itd make getting higher clocks on the 165 impossible.

Soymilk said:
so theres no difference between them? and ya i guess if you dont have like a dfi nf4 ultra-d or something like that, itd make getting higher clocks on the 165 impossible.

They're basically the same chip just binned higher.
All the ones I've seen have been CCBWE which is also the same as the X2 toledo's

And yeah the multiplier on the 165 is what kept me from hitting 2.8Ghz on mine. I got to 2.7Ghz at 300fsb but my mobo couldn't get any higher.

thanks. this put my mind at rest, cuz im currently trying to justify spending the extra for a dual core opteron, but if the 165's sucked for some reason i'd be sad. i just hope that dfi's matx board thats supposed to b released next month (hopefully) will be able to do 300+ fsb, and you can always use lower voltage and have it run cooler if it doesnt go that high :)

Back