Do the memory in the Core Duo notebooks run in Dual Channel?

Manoj

Gawd
If added an indentical ram in the Intel Core Duo notebooks make the memory run in Dual Channel or will they still run in single channel?

It depends on the implementation. Check your notebook's manual. Theoretically, though, the 945 family of chipsets support dual channel configurations in most circumstances.

Dual channel ram for notebooks has been around since Sonoma, the 533 MHz Dothan chipset.

If you only ordered a 1 gig stick your gonna want to buy another identical 1 gig stick for dual channel

Dual channel isn't a big deal for that laptop. You will only see minor gains, if any at all. The bandwidth of single channel DDR2-667 memory is already equal to the bandwidth of the Core Duo FSB (667MHz for both = 5.3GB/s).

Dual channel does help when FSB bandwidth exceeds memory bandwidth. For example, the 865 and 875 chipsets officially supported 800MHz, but only PC3200 memory. Dual channel PC3200 was necessary to meet the bandwidth requirements of an 800MHz FSB (800MHz 64-bit bus = 6.4GB/s and dual channel 400MHz 64-bit DIMMs = 6.4GB/s).

There are cases where dual channel memory helps: integrated graphics and to a lesser extent, PCI-E texturing/rendering (servers also benefit from more bandwidth on heavy I/O). Since that Mobility X1600 supports HyperMemory, you may see a minor increase in game performance with dual channel memory, assuming the conditions are memory bandwidth limited.

Thanks for responding. I remember dual channel was a big deal for AMD's., I remember upgrading from my 754 socket to a 939 socket and the ram test in Sandra and it was so much higher with dual channel than single channel. I suppose I will get another gig to have dual channel but you are saying it doesn't do that much eh?

It didn't really ever do much since the beginning. Most gains were seen in artificial benchmarks which did not test real-world scenarios. I'm sorry, but you and countless others have been duped :( .

Back