Do the Intel or ASMedia SATA2/3 ports on Z77 (ICH10R?) support port multiplication?

grambo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows if any of the SATA ports on the Z77 (specifically P8Z77-V Pro) support port multiplication? I want to use a 2-bay external eSATA enclosure on my mobo via the eSATA to internal SATA bracket.

On my old P5B-Deluxe board (P965), only the JMicron eSATA port could do it, the Intel did not (ICH8R).

I'll test it tonight, but curious if anyone knows the answer now :).

The ICH10R does not. The original datasheet had it in the spec, but the actual implementation doesn't have the proper registers to support it. This was confirmed by an engineer at Intel when Ted T'so tried to implement linux driver support for it.

I don't know about Z77 boards, but the ICH10R, I am sure about.

Of course, SAS expanders are a much better answer today.

The ICH10R does not. The original datasheet had it in the spec, but the actual implementation doesn't have the proper registers to support it. This was confirmed by an engineer at Intel when Ted T'so tried to implement linux driver support for it.

I don't know about Z77 boards, but the ICH10R, I am sure about.

Of course, SAS expanders are a much better answer today.

Unfortunately this is correct, it's available at the hardware level but not implemented in the drivers. Apparently it caused some conflict with other functionality. I tested it last night and only the first drive in my enclosure shows up. Will test the ASMedia SATA ports in the next few days and post back. Otherwise I have to use USB3 instead which I'd rather not do here.

Back