Do the Intel boards last long?

ddutta

Limp Gawd
I am looking at a Intel DH67BL m-atx mobo for my i5-2600k. Do these boards last as long as gigabyte for example. I am not going to overclock etc but will run the system 24/7. I typically buy gigabyte but I see that the Intel boards have a lower idle power consumption.

Am a little concerned about the lack of solid state capacitors etc. Hence the the question

I am looking at a Intel DH67BL m-atx mobo for my i5-2600k. Do these boards last as long as gigabyte for example. I am not going to overclock etc but will run the system 24/7. I typically buy gigabyte but I see that the Intel boards have a lower idle power consumption.

Am a little concerned about the lack of solid state capacitors etc. Hence the the question

Without over-clocking there should be no difference in lifetime. Heck with moderate over-clocking there should be no difference. I believe most of the cool hardware enhancements are targeted for more robust over-clocking and extreme cooling support.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if most of us didn't turn over our mobo's within 2 years anyway.

At least with Intel, you won't have to worry about getting the BS with RMA's.
As long as you're running supported hardware, they will allow RMA's.

Heck, they even allowed me to RMA a CPU long ago, when I was running it on a powerleap adapter, which was NOT supported.
(or it may have been a P3 something on a MSI slotket).

Hmmm .... then I wonder why the cheap H67 boards from GB, Asus and even vendors like Biostar/Asrock have all solid caps .... thats what led me to wonder. I just want something stable 24/7 for 2-3 yrs :)

Found an interesting quote in this thread from 2008:

Faulty said:
Every brand and model of capacitor comes with a operating life figure. Normally around 2000 hours(if you run 24x7, it will start failing after 83 days) and up. These capacitor are under high stress due to the high current pulses and the nature of switching power supply. Those "solid core capacitor" usually has longer operating life, around 5000 hours (24x7 = 208 days). You can also get 10000 hours (24x7 = 416 days) or even more than that, but double in operating life doesn't mean double in price, it's usually much much higher in price. So, which is ultra-durable, 5000 or 10000 or more? It's all about budget. These lifespan figure are normally not published, and don't expect to find one.

But I would think that if motherboards regularly failed after 3 months of 24/7 use, we'd hear more about it, especially in the HTPC market.

But I would think that if motherboards regularly failed after 3 months of 24/7 use, we'd hear more about it, especially in the HTPC market.

I imagine it is 3 months at full rated specs, not HTPC use. It would be interesting to see if any folders have experience with this.

I imagine it is 3 months at full rated specs, not HTPC use. It would be interesting to see if any folders have experience with this.

I haven't seen cases of capacitors failing with F@H mainboards. Power phases on the other hand... :)

It says "start to fail" not "render board inoperable". It could start to fail, but take quite awhile to do so.

If you follow up on the link given by that post though, the lifetime rating for 1000h in the example cap used is given at a temperature of 105C.

I guess then I will just try my luck with an Intel board for the 1st time (love the low idle power)

Anyway I have a DH67BL board now but I am wondering whether I should open it and use the SATA 6G ports or ask amazon to refund me and wait for the fixed chip .... or maybe the Z68 will be out by then :) options!

As an added precaution I down clocked my 2600K from 4.6 to 4.0 on my Asrock P67 Pro3 MB. The last thing I want to happen is have my motherboard fail on me and I can't get a replacement until the new boards are released.

Back