Do the "funny shapes" on modular power supply cables match up with voltages, etc?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I get that mixing and matching PS modular cables is a no-no. But what abouFS: Corsair AX1200i iCUE-compatible fully modular power supplyt those funny shapes for each pin, like the full square, or the square on bottom but rounded on top, or square on top but rounded on bottom? Is there any standardization there in general? Just for Corsair?

I'm asking because I have a full pouch worth of extra modular cables for my Corsair AX850, and recently I thought that I was going to have to replace that Corsair PSU.

^^^

Modular psu cable compatibility chart or something

All I can say is pay close attention to this. I've blown two good power supplies by just using cables that were laying around without checking properly

Yeah make sure before you plug, some will plug in totally fine but wires carry completely diffrent voltages. You can easily end up frying something plugged into the cable.

I get that mixing and matching PS modular cables is a no-no. But what abouFS: Corsair AX1200i iCUE-compatible fully modular power supplyt those funny shapes for each pin, like the full square, or the square on bottom but rounded on top, or square on top but rounded on bottom? Is there any standardization there in general? Just for Corsair?

I'm asking because I have a full pouch worth of extra modular cables for my Corsair AX850, and recently I thought that I was going to have to replace that Corsair PSU.

In answer to your question: No. There is nothing special about the shapes in the plugs. They only exist to make sure the cable cannot be physically plugged in incorrectly. Naturally, as others have said, this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual pinouts of the socket or the cable.

It is completely stupid nobody standardized these modular cable supply cables early on when they started getting popular....

I would say to be "very careful" using cables from a different modular power supply even if they are the same brand..

A few years ago my Season X750 needed to be RMA'd Seasonic sent me a MKII unit of the X750 model which used entirely different cables than the unit I had sent them... I ended up having to wait a few more days for Seasonic to send me cables for the unit they had sent to me.

It used to be that power cables were color coded, but then somebody decided that all wires must be black.

It is completely stupid nobody standardized these modular cable supply cables early on when they started getting popular....

I would say to be "very careful" using cables from a different modular power supply even if they are the same brand..

A few years ago my Season X750 needed to be RMA'd Seasonic sent me a MKII unit of the X750 model which used entirely different cables than the unit I had sent them... I ended up having to wait a few more days for Seasonic to send me cables for the unit they had sent to me.

I agree. Completely stupid and I'm surprised no class actions have been filed so far.

OK. As the OP here, I get the message. If/when I get a new PSU, get new cables from the vendor (or cablemods) that designed for that PSU. Cables cost lots less than a new PSU.

OK. As the OP here, I get the message. If/when I get a new PSU, get new cables from the vendor (or cablemods) that designed for that PSU. Cables cost lots less than a new PSU.
AND/OR A NEW COMPONENT.

Back