Do the current Xbox 360's have any of the early problems/issues?

I bought a 360 on Jan 1st 2006 and have never had a single problem as long as you keep it in a well ventilated area and don't move the console while a disc is in motion you'll be fine most of the reported problems were from people who don't have common sense.

The old 360s never really had a problem. Some people did have legitimate problems; however, the main source of problems and rumors of problems were internet experts proclaiming that the 360 sucks because of ____ and that they have the solution. They also have the cure for AIDS and have developed an efficient method to factor any number.

Generally, up to 5% of electronic devices will fail. That is quite a large number and this is considered to be normal. However, it will seem like a lot of them are failing because the Sony/Nintendo fan boys are going to proclaim that every 360 is faulty, it gets hot enough to melt any ceramic, etc. because that's just what they do. This can be seen with the upcoming Conroe - blind AMD loyalists are trying to detract from Intel and Conroe as much as possible with very little grounds for their criticisms and try to make AMD seem amazing. The simple fact is this, Intel is going to win the next round by a sizeable margin after being 2ng to the A64 for some time.

Whenever something new is released it may seem like the thing never works properly because there will be so many complaints. When HL2 was released, you would have thought Steam never worked at all as there were so many complaints about this. This is because the people who are not having problems are too busy playing or just don't make a big deal out of "damn, HL2 runs perfect for me." On the other hand, people having problems will generally be the ones to post on forums and will be more outspoken.

Also, you will have people at IGN with no concept of statistics write articles that say there is a problem becuase the 3 360s in their offices have failed. They got unlucky, that sucks, but that doesn't mean there's a problem. Maybe it's a bit unlikely, statistically, that 3 in the same office will fail. However, it's significantly more unlikely that people will win the lottery and that happens all the time. Things that should rarely happen actually occur all the time. My guild in WoW has had Lucifron drop Gauntlets of Might 9 weeks in a row. In a very long time of running MC we have seen two OEBs drop while most other guilds have long since been disenchanting them because they've received so many or have better.

If you want to buy a 360, buy it. If you're afraid it might fail buy the warranty through MS or the store where you end up buying it from (if applicable).

I've had mine since day 1. Manufacture date from the back panel is 2005-11-09, hard to get much earlier than that. Never once had a problem with it.

Great, thanks guys. I've been out of the loop for a while as I was moving and finding a job so I appreciate the help. How about the wireless controllers? I have a ceiling projector and it'd be easiest to put the xbox to my right side as opposed to in front of me like most people. I'm just wondering if that would work or if I'd need to make other plans.

rcf1987 said:
I bought a 360 on Jan 1st 2006 and have never had a single problem as long as you keep it in a well ventilated area and don't move the console while a disc is in motion you'll be fine most of the reported problems were from people who don't have common sense.

How much heat does it actually generate....is it similar to PC heat?

dissonance said:
Great, thanks guys. I've been out of the loop for a while as I was moving and finding a job so I appreciate the help. How about the wireless controllers? I have a ceiling projector and it'd be easiest to put the xbox to my right side as opposed to in front of me like most people. I'm just wondering if that would work or if I'd need to make other plans.

I have my Xbox 360 setup behind me with my projector setup. It works fine. Remember these are not infrared, they are 2.4 Ghz. The same as a house phone. You could probably go to your neighbors house and still control the xbox360. The range is not something to be worried about, nor is the distance...your xbox could be upstairs and you in the basement and you'd be fine.

Greenwit said:

It has a 200W power supply...so not more than 200W I would guess, probably around 100-150W.

Also I agree, a 360 is and always has been just as safe to "bite" on as any other console.

rcf1987 said:

That basically sums it up, as I bought mine on Nov 22nd, 2005 without having a single problem yet. This console has probably seen 500 hours of use so far.

Greenwit said:
It doesn't get that hot. It warms up, but it's far from hot. People who say it gets incredibly hot are Sony/Nintendo fan boys talking out of their ass, put it in a place with minimal air circulation, or have no idea what hot is. Some people seem to correlate any elevated temperature with "on fire" because they are used to consoles generating next to no heat.

Ok...that's beginning to make sense. Never owned a console but am thinking about a 360 (got an HDTV and surround sound system). I know all about PC heat but maybe alot of the console peeps are unfamiliar with it because they don't game on it.

I don't really think it was necessarily the launch consoles that had problems, it was just the fact that the people that weren't having problems were too busy playing them and you were only hearing from the select few having issues. I have had my 360 since November 22nd 2005, and it was manufactured mid September of 05 and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

I'd say grab one of you want one.

buy a warranty and you're set.

i've had mine since the beginning of march and i've had no problems.

hell, i even let my xbox stay on a few times....once for a day just because i was switching from tv to gaming and forgot about the xbox when i left my apt. the next day i hear this fan blowing after i turned off my tv and sure enough, i forgot to turn off my 360 the day before.

still works like a charm.

ive got an Australian PAL X360.....it works flawlessly.

The heat output is much lower than a computer, but is just more concentrated because of the smaller case size. That is why some people think its hotter than a PC...they dont realise that a computer case has 5-6x the volume of an X360 case, and compare the X360's heat output from the back to the heat output from the back of their computers. The power supply is around 200W, so it cant possibly produce more W of heat energy that you put in. As a reference most of our PCs (us overclockers anyway :p ) have 450+ W power supplies.

So it does get pretty warm at the back, but never hot. And the power brick only gets slightly warm.

XBox 360=good.
I have a launch model, built 10/05 and it runs solid as a rock. I suppose we've used it well over 200 hours and it runs just fine, thank you.
It doesnt get any more "hot" than your average e-machine. Just ventilate well like you would your computer and youll be good to go.
The games are fun, by the way. :D

Broke down and finally got this after being on the fence for a long while. Painless setup....only a bit tedious using a gamepad to get all set up with Live. Bought a Linksys wrt54g wireless router that practically installed itself and the XBox wireless adapter communicated with it immediately. Noticed no problems with sound or heat. Everything works great so far on my 50" HD plasma. Kameo looks great. :D

Greenwit said:
Broke down and finally got this after being on the fence for a long while. Painless setup....only a bit tedious using a gamepad to get all set up with Live. Bought a Linksys wrt54g wireless router that practically installed itself and the XBox wireless adapter communicated with it immediately. Noticed no problems with sound or heat. Everything works great so far on my 50" HD plasma. Kameo looks great. :D

Wow the wireless network adapter for the 360 is $100???

dissonance said:

Yup....I guess the advantage is that the connection to your router is pretty much brainless. Sure doesn't look like $100 worth of hardware.

Also remember that the Xbox360 Wireless adapter is A/B/G. I'd agree that $100 is a bit steep if it were only B/G, but adding in "A" as well puts it about on par with other A/B/G adapters. Yeah, there is still a bit of a price premium, but you also have to consider that it's designed for the Xbox360, clips on to the back, and is very convenient.

dissonance said:
The offical xbox360 wireless adapter is $100, but any wireless bridge will work (I have seen them for under $30). The orginal xbox wireless adapter also works and can be found for under $50.

RE: OP
Out of my friends 7 of us have xbox360s. None of us have faulty xbox360s. Electrons break so ofcourse you are going to hear bitching on the internet when you ship over 4 million in a few months. 3-5% of 4 million anyone?

ClearM4 said:
The offical xbox360 wireless adapter is $100, but any wireless bridge will work (I have seen them for under $30). The orginal xbox wireless adapter also works and can be found for under $50.

RE: OP
Out of my friends 7 of us have xbox360s. None of us have faulty xbox360s. Electrons break so ofcourse you are going to hear bitching on the internet when you ship over 4 million in a few months. 3-5% of 4 million anyone?

100,000?

The internet is an amplifier of percieved reliability issues.

dotK said:
It doesn't get that hot. It warms up, but it's far from hot. People who say it gets incredibly hot are Sony/Nintendo fan boys talking out of their ass, put it in a place with minimal air circulation, or have no idea what hot is. Some people seem to correlate any elevated temperature with "on fire" because they are used to consoles generating next to no heat.

This thing generates a lot of heat, but it doesn't seem to generate any more heat that i've seen out of my friend's Dell Laptop with a 3.6 ghz pentium 4. We have to remember that thing this is packing a lot of horsepower under it's hood. It's going to be awesome when they go to 65nanmeter cpu's late this year.

The only issue I have is the loud DVD drive at start up. During a game though with the sound on Low I dont hear it what so ever really. Just when the room is quiet I can hear it. So its not an issue really but it kinda bugs me from time to time. Other than that no my 360 was purchased Dec 22nd and its worked like a charm with no issues. Like I said before the 360 wasnt faulty just standard amounts broke and it got painted like a HUGE issue.

Had mine since December 14, 2005 and have had no problems whatsoever.

After a day and a half of owning the 360, I think this is a MUST have if you own a hi-def/surround sound system. Just bought Gotham racing and the realism/resolution on my 50" Panasonic HD plasma and THX 5.1 sound system is un-fing believable. True photo realism. And the game is loads of grins too. Zero problems (knock on wood).

Mine works real good, no problems other than demos crashing a couple times (condemned demo, failed to finish loading ) but I have to say it runs pretty hot. It feels like a hairdryer when I put my hand on its backside (kinky!) , and mine is very well ventilated. I have it alone on the top shelf of a 4 foot tall wire shelf, so it can breath all the way around it. But its still very hot ,much hotter than any other console I have ever owned. But this should be expected considering the hardware inside.

Back