Do Samsung Galaxy smartphones still lag due to Touchwiz?

My Note 8, and S9+ don't lag at all. But my old S7 Edge did badly, even after a reset.

I went in TMo store to figure out the prices. But the TMo employee is an idiot about the GS9. I told him that the GS9 lags like a bitch. He was like, "This phone is the best phone we have." I showed him the lag situation, so I have a witness, and he was like, "There's no better phone right now unless you wait for the S10 or Note 10." There's multiple things wrong with that statement. 1) He doesn't know that there's a difference with the 4GB/6GB units. He also ignored that the Note 9 will be back coming out soon. When I educated him later, he said it'll have the same hardware as the S9 just with a pen... Once again still ignoring the difference between the RAM. 2) He's automatically ignoring the LG G7 ThinQ, which 4 out of 5 reviews that recommended it over the Samsung S9. 3) iPhone 8 (not the plus) is also available and uses the same internal hardware as iPhone X. So it should be just as fast if not faster than the X due to not having to deal with face ID and having an extra camera.

So I proceeded to educate him on all three, and he acted smug like he knows better than I do. What a douche.

So right now it's between the iPhone 8 ($0 down and $30 a month) or LG G7 ThinQ ($30 down and $30 a month). I might not have to buy a case for the 8 though; my iPhone 6S case might fit...

(I went from my Sprint HTC M9 to TMo JoD iPhone 6, 6S, 7 Plus, to current Galaxy S9)

I do like the looks of the LG G7. And I'm excited about the Quad DAC that would actually make the headphone jack make sense.

Last edited:
I have generally been happy with the Pixels until I got my Pixel 2 XL and sent it back the next day for terrible blue shift and stayed with my Pixel 1. Then, I switched carriers and got a S8, and after getting used to it, it isn't that much worse than the Pixel 1 was. I get significantly better battery life also. My sister-in-law is using my Pixel 1 and is having all kinds of problems with it, having to reboot it all the time to keep it stable.

Pretty much since the GS5 (which was terrible), Touchwiz has been manageable to the point where it isn't as big of a deal IMO. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or anything obnoxious compared to the Pixel or Essential Phones I used recently also, and the S8 is 1.5 years old at this point.

My S8 running Nova and with a ton of things disabled with BKdisabler does NOT lag. If you want it to run OK be prepared to roll up your sleeves and work for it.

My S8 running Nova and with a ton of things disabled with BKdisabler does NOT lag. If you want it to run OK be prepared to roll up your sleeves and work for it.
So did I. I tried to disable everything unnecessary after one week of giving Out of the Box experience a shot. I dunno how anyone could use this out of the box... I also have Nova launcher and remapped the Bixby button to Google. It just boggles my mind how people could think this 4GB version could be lag-free.

That’s what I did with my Note 3. I disabled every function and app Samsung had on the phone. Then they updated it to auto reenable and I had crack the boot loader which I didn’t plan on doing. I put up with it until Samsung broke the phone with an update.

Was such a good phone.

the point is it should not be required.. Samsung makes some of the best hardware..

I agree with you. I wish google would put out a Pixel with a great screen (samsung needs to make it, not freaking LG).

I agree with you. I wish google would put out a Pixel with a great screen (samsung needs to make it, not freaking LG).
every phone has there pro and cons. At least in this day we have several really good options depending on what weakness an individual finds not as important to them

Last edited:
Didn’t they show AOSP was a BIG improvement on battery life over touchwiz? Lol at their extended commercial “*sigh* battery throttling”

Do the new Galaxy S9 line have project Treble? Which is supposed to allow AOSP ROMs but then the problem is fucking Samsung doesn't allow the bootloader to be unlocked you can't even root these phones let alone put a ROM on them anymore.

And there's no way I would pay full price for an international phone just a ROM it if I was going to pay full price I'll just get a Pixel 2 XL for OnePlus or something. It would be nice if the US carriers allowed you to unlock the bootloader like the good old days

Do the new Galaxy S9 line have project Treble? Which is supposed to allow AOSP ROMs but then the problem is fucking Samsung doesn't allow the bootloader to be unlocked you can't even root these phones let alone put a ROM on them anymore.

And there's no way I would pay full price for an international phone just a ROM it if I was going to pay full price I'll just get a Pixel 2 XL for OnePlus or something. It would be nice if the US carriers allowed you to unlock the bootloader like the good old days

Supposedly it does. That's good news if so and will hopefully reduce instances of Samsung shipping OS updates several months after Google does, but we'll see.

That's my other beef with these Android manufacturers besides Google pixel it seems they suck and updates LG is pretty shity and super late and updates and Samsung they seem better but a year or so later the kind of forget about your phone it seems and you've got to wait months and months for another update and that update might make it worse.

If you value fast and immediate updates you really only have two options the Pixel phone or the iPhone. All the other manufacturers you sort of a roll of the dice maybe you got one year of good support and that's about it.

Essential delivers updates fast too, but how long will that company or even the division that makes phones or update the phones within that company survive?

loose camera performance, battery life and other features which sadly why buy a Samsung phone.
Because a lot of other manufacturers are missing a lot of hardware features these days, even simple ones like headphone jacks, microSD cards, and the big one for me - the Wacom EMR pen digitizer that you can only get in Galaxy Note products for something pocket-sized.

And yes, that last feature works on AOSP-based ROMs, between my LineageOS'd Note 4 and my Cintiq Companion Hybrid, itself an example of why the Android update situation is abhorrent and why Wacom has to stick to full-fledged PCs whose update job rests on Microsoft's shoulders.

The real problem is that smartphones aren't treated like PCs in your pocket. They're treated like appliances, just the same as all those dashboard car computers that will probably forever be stuck running obsolete versions of Linux or whatever with outdated GPS maps and BlueBorne/KRACK vulnerabilities intact, because they're not designed like the IBM-compatible PC market (or, in more recent years, the Raspberry Pi) where you can buy the hardware and just throw on whatever software you want.

Also, everyone seems to forget Razer when it comes to software updates. Isn't the Razer Phone on 8.1 already, with Treble to boot despite launching on Nougat? That's probably the phone I'd go for if I was that insistent on a "stock Android" experience. (More stock than a Pixel, even!)

S9 is. Others good to go.
Remind me who [H]ere is buying a Galaxy A or whatever low end or midgrade Samsung crap and not a Samsung flagship that may also be crap, if you don't have enough RAM.

Remind me who [H]ere is buying a Galaxy A or whatever low end or midgrade Samsung crap and not a Samsung flagship that may also be crap, if you don't have enough RAM.

Remind me, we were talking about flashing custom ROMs/rooting, now about buying midrange Samsung or if generally, Samsung is crap?

Essential delivers updates fast too, but how long will that company or even the division that makes phones or update the phones within that company survive?

Essential didn’t even sell out of inventory when they 50% off for Prime Day. People just don’t want the phones... I think they will be closing up shop soon.

My Note 8, and S9+ don't lag at all. But my old S7 Edge did badly, even after a reset.
Worth noting for those who do not know that the Note 8 and S9+ have 6 gb of ram. Anyway, another data point lending evidence to the idea that the increased ram is needed in order to avoid Touchwiz lag.

S9 is. Others good to go.
S7, S8 and Note 8 are locked across the board in the US, too.

Before that, Samsung had a billion variants of a given model, one for each carrier. The general rule of thumb is that Sprint and T-Mobile had unlocked bootloaders, Verizon required the user to hunt down a specific developer edition of the phone in question if available, and AT&T users got screwed.

Post-S7, there was now one unified North American model that works on all carriers, including the CDMA ones, but now everyone gets screwed with a locked bootloader, even those buying unlocked directly from Samsung (not previously possible due to all the variants before), including all the Sprint and T-Mobile users.

Because of this crap, some US users on GSM carriers went through the trouble of importing international models with the bands they needed, but that makes these phones even more expensive than they already are.

I loved having an unlocked bootloader on my Sprint Note 4, which could even run Oreo 8.1 via unofficial LineageOS builds while my Note 8's stuck on 8.0 still, but alas, the family switch to T-Mobile necessitated new phones once I wasn't even getting 3G coverage. That's the problem with the old "billions of variants" approach: locked-out bands to help keep people from switching carriers without buying a new phone.

Remind me, we were talking about flashing custom ROMs/rooting, now about buying midrange Samsung or if generally, Samsung is crap?
Why would one buy a low-end or mid-range crap just so they can possibly make it perform like a Samsung flagship crap that they can't boot unlock? Seems like money and time are better spent on another flagship like an OnePlus. Coming here telling us that we should get the lesser phones to unlock and rom instead is just illogical.

Why would one buy a low-end or mid-range crap just so they can possibly make it perform like a Samsung flagship crap that they can't boot unlock? Seems like money and time are better spent on another flagship like an OnePlus. Coming here telling us that we should get the lesser phones to unlock and rom instead is just illogical.

Mate, are you even reading what I've posted?
I'm not even suggesting A series or else, hence "telling"...S8, Note 8, Even S7 are excellent phones if you know what you're doing.
You always want the newest and "best"? S9 is just an upgrade of S8, and quite shy on that.
S8, Note 8 are bootloader unlockable and almost fully customizable, if you want that.

From what I've understood, you just want best and brightest out of the box. Well, that won't happen with Samsung anytime soon.
Huawei P20 Pro, Pixel line, OnePlus are the way to go for this matter.

Almost all Samsung flagships sold through carriers in the US have been bootlocked since the S7 if not the S6. Perhaps you're used to getting them exynos versions, but that's not very common here

Back