Do really I need Abit's uGuru?

iamfett

Weaksauce
I run the system shown in my sig. The small (my first) overclock I've done, I did through Bios.
Whenever my computer starts one of the first things I do is right click on the taskbar and exit uGuru (along with a couple of other things). - I've never used it.
I'm just wondering, do I even really need it.

I see under Control Panel/Add or Remove, it shows two listings.
1)Abti (yes that's the way it's spelled) uGuru
2)Windows Driver Package - ABIT (UGURU) SYSTEM (3.0.2005.531)
Both with the hooded monk icon next to them.

Do I need this/these to overclock?
Will there be problems/instabilities if I remove one or both?

Would it be better just to disable uGuru? If so, how?

You don't need it at all. You can do everything in BIOS.
I actually installed it and it caused Vista to crash.

^^same with me..

abit uguru, if it worked it would have been good. but as it doesn't work in vista (or good enough) its not a huge loss...

I love it. On the fly overclocking, temperature, and voltage control.

But i don't use vista

I certainly didn't install the software. OC'ing in OS is just asking for trouble IMO. You can still use the benefits of the chip by running HWMonitor. It'll show you all the values the chip is reporting without the hassle of the crap software.

I have the uGuru panel and have never used it. If you're interested in it , pm me. Puts everything at your finger tips on the front of the machine.

If you want , you can just uninstall it or you can disable the startup by going into msconfig and deleting the entry.

It crashed in x64 Vista.

I have got it to work a few times, but it never last more then 3 min.

It sucks cause I don't like unknown devices in my device manager.

Heck, even the version windows update tries to install crashes.

crashed for me with xp sp2 pro, i dont use it as it actually doesnt set my fans correctly either...

its not compatible with Vista thats why!

HAHAH Tell Abit that ..

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?opti...category=1003&model=381&product_name=IP35+Pro
abit uGuru 3.1X

Released Date: 2007-03-16
File Size: 9 MB
Description:
abit uGuru 3.1X for 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 64bit
Revision V3.104

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?opti...egory=1006&model=402&product_name=IX38+QuadGT
abit uGuru 3.1X

Released Date: 2008-03-16
Description:
abit uGuru 3.1X for 2000 / XP / XP 64bit / 2003 / 2003 64bit / Vista 32bit / Vista 64bit
Revision: V3.107

Thanks for the opinions.
Obviously its not needed. Do I uninstall both items I found under "Add or Remove"?
One I'm pretty sure is the program, the other says is a driver for windows.

The software was buggy at best while back, but I found that the latest version (v3.1.0.7) works well in all my 3 abit setups and never crashed my systems - IX38 QuadGT w/ X3350 (Vista x64 Ultimate), IN9-Max w/ E6750 (XP Pro 64bit) and AB9 QuadGT w/ E4300 (Server 2008 32bit) - all overclocked. Having said that, I mainly use uGuru to monitor the pwm temps and modify the fan speeds. I don't use it to oc. :D

I like using it. Set your ram up in bios and you can use Uguru and oc for benchmarks. No need to restart over and over again. Also I notice that sometimes I have a better chance of running a max oc through superpi. Like for instance I couldn't boot into windows w/ said oc but it would let me set it in Uguru and run superpi

HAHAH Tell Abit that ..

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?opti...category=1003&model=381&product_name=IP35+Pro
abit uGuru 3.1X

Released Date: 2007-03-16
Description:
abit uGuru 3.1X for 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 64bit
Revision V3.104

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?opti...egory=1006&model=402&product_name=IX38+QuadGT
abit uGuru 3.1X

Released Date: 2008-03-16
Description:
abit uGuru 3.1X for 2000 / XP / XP 64bit / 2003 / 2003 64bit / Vista 32bit / Vista 64bit
Revision: V3.107

Well obviously they have some of software hardware detection bug in it, coz I'm trying get a abit motherboard with xp installed to boot uguru properly atm!

I have uGuru installed and have never had an issue. I don't use it but it has never created any problems.

Mine has never caused a problem ether. But if i don't use, why have it.
My question was, do i need it if I overclock through Bios, and is it safe/OK/will it be problematic to uninstall both (or only one) of the items that I found under "Add or Remove" in Control Panel?

i have had problems in vista 64 a few times. I should update to the newest version

Back