Do Nvidia graphics cards (pascal) not clock down when you cap the framerate below what the card do?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by AzixTGO, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

1. AzixTGO

AzixTGO Limp Gawd

[I am using adaptive power management mode]

iirc my fury was clocking down the GPU whenever the framerate was below what it could put out even without chill being on. Not seeing this on my nvidia card made me wonder if they are actually dumber. Is my setup bugged? I get the sense that they throttle frequency only based on power targets and temperature. What does the power management mode on adaptive option do if not this?

Also it seems the clock speed is directly linked to voltage and voltage is linked to power target. So all its doing is changing voltage to hold the target and frequency follows? Felt like i had more freedom with the fury. it looked more like for AMD the power target was just a maximum, not an actual target.

it matters because I could end up using more power overall than the fury. In fact I think I will just off the idle comparison. Which would mean the efficiency people talk about is mostly for people going full tilt gaming and those who cap their framerates might actually have worse efficiency.

could someone more familiar with these cards chime in?

2. InquisitorDavid

InquisitorDavid [H]Lite

NV cards have similar downclocking mechanisms. I can attest to it, having owned Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell GPUs (I don't think this changes with Pascal and Turing): P-States, which change depending on the load applied. Low power games like LoL and really old games usually keeps clocks way below the base clock.

That said there are certain things that will keep your clock states constantly up to base clock levels, like having multiple displays connected.

3. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Limp Gawd

It generally throttles with power and temperature. If you are using a triple fan or hybrid card then the clocks will be pretty close to max boost during most gaming unless it's a very low load.

4. AzixTGO

AzixTGO Limp Gawd

I saw mention of dual monitor clocks in the driver release notes. seems to apply to older cards. I do have two monitors but the second one is connected to the iGPU. Maybe I should experiment some.

I managed to get the card to downclock lower by capping fps at 30 in pathfinder kingmaker. Power consumption went significantly lower after that. So the lol and old games thing is probably true but it would need really low load. every other case its boosting as high as the power target will allow. 60 fps minimum consumption is my target.

Also noticed some less than ideal jumps in consumption doing regular stuff the fury would stay at 300 Mhz for. Even saw it at 2100Mhz with just firefox. had to turn off the hardware acceleration.

5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

I wound up buying a second GPU just due to this. Annoying, and that second GPU, an RX560, doesn't up-clock unless there's a real load.

6. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Limp Gawd

Couldn't you use your iGPU to run the second display?

7. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

There are three 'secondary' displays, so I'd wind up using a second dGPU output, so I figured I'd just get a card to run all that. The RX560 4GB was perfect; it runs entirely off the PCIe slot.