DO NOT use the “boinc development release” from the costamagnagianfranco PPA

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
DO NOT use the “boinc development release” from the costamagnagianfranco PPA. It is causing problems and failed work on many projects. QuChem and MLC, which are both native Linux, all work fails. Also, any and all projects running VBox work, the VM’s won’t spin up and you’ll get a “can’t communicate with hyper visor” error in BOINC. I know this from painful experience. Do not be like me. Do not use this version of BOINC. Use the version available in your distro’s repo. I am back on 7.16.6 from the Ubuntu repo and all work from all projects is working for me again.

If you have that version installed already, you need to untick that PPA from your PPA manager, so that it is disabled. Then:

sudo apt remove boinc -y
sudo apt autoremove -y
sudo apt update
sudo apt install boinc -y

This should put you on the BOINC version from your distro's repo. All project files are kept intact during the remove/install, so it’s a pretty quick and easy process.

Edit: Note that I am running Linux Mint 20 (currently using kernel 5.8.0_34), which is based on Ubuntu 20.04.1, on all of my machines. My advice above pertains to those versions of Linux, at least. I wouldn't take any chances and would recommend using only the official repo version for now.

Last edited:
I did some testing and discovered the costamagnagianfranco PPA version of BOINC also causes Cruncher OGR work at Yoyo to fail immediately. I am not sure why this BOINC version causes failures at so many projects, but I think the lesson is: just don't use it.

What would have been the advantage of a different source of BOINC ?
Newer BOINC software than is available in the repos. The repo versions are often many, many versions behind the latest BOINC release. I like running the newest drivers and software. It bit me this time. I know many people use this BOINC version from that PPA, so I wasn't alone.

Newer BOINC software than is available in the repos. The repo versions are often many, many versions behind the latest BOINC release. I like running the newest drivers and software. It bit me this time. I know many people use this BOINC version from that PPA, so I wasn't alone.
Fair enough; If I have that desire my solution is

useradd boinc su - boinc mkdir boinc_source git clone [URL]https://github.com/BOINC/boinc[/URL] boinc_source cd boinc_source ./_autosetup -f ; ./configure --disable-manager --disable-server --enable-client --enable-optimize - prefix=$HOME make exit cd /home/boinc/boinc_source make install
:)

Fair enough; If I have that desire my solution is

useradd boinc su - boinc mkdir boinc_source git clone [URL]https://github.com/BOINC/boinc[/URL] boinc_source cd boinc_source ./_autosetup -f ; ./configure --disable-manager --disable-server --enable-client --enable-optimize - prefix=$HOME make exit cd /home/boinc/boinc_source make install
:)
See, I'm just not that smart. :confused:

Back