Do not purchase an Antec power supply, you will regret it!

well, im posting back with my opinion and an update to my psu RMA.
computers170.jpg

took 36$ for fedex 2-3 day delivery, 1 week turn around time from the moment they got it, and i get new ones. overall, the RMA isnt bad, xept for the fact that i had to put in 36$ to cover shipping costs to them. hopefully these new ones work out well, and i dont have to return this stuff to them again. i would hate to think i need to spend more money on 2 units which originaly ran me 140$ new.

Ouch, IffY!! I sent mine USPS for about $10. :( But, I only had to send in one.

xept for the fact that i had to put in 36$ to cover shipping costs to them.

Something's wrong with that.

I have a Kinko's across the street so I use FedEx all of the time, and as you can imagine I ship a lot of PSU's.

You paid way too much for that shipping.

What did you do? Send it priority overnight?

Ouch, IffY!! I sent mine USPS for about $10. :(

Even if he paid twice as much as normal on the FedEx, it's not the same.

USPS ships "whenever", can't be tracked and you're lucky if you get it at all.

And their so called "confirmation" confirms delivery when a delivery attempt is made or, in some cases, when the package arrived at the destination's post office so when you don't get you package and try to complain with whoever shipped it, they say, "we can't help you... package shows as DELIVERED."

I've got FIVE packages in limbo dating all of the way back to November '06 and there's NOTHING I can do about because they all show as delivered even though I have none of them. What really burns me is one is a DVD I ordered from Circuit City. :(

USPS sucks in every way except for getting your bills mailed for a mere 35 cent stamp.

True enough, Jonny.

I love your site, BTW! Between your info and that here, I made what I consider a very well-informed decision on my new PSU for the rebuild, a Corsair HX620W. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Lawdog :cool:

I can't believe what I'm reading in here. I've had my SP-500 since September 05, no problems.

Put in a new PSU in computer and guess what it now boots up and runs great nothing wrong with board. With the Antec unit would not even post.

Claiming that the original manufacturer of a PSU means nothing is ridiculous. Read through the 7 pages worth of complaints on this one thread and notice how the vast majority of the problems are with CWT units. If the original manufacturer meant nothing you would see a much larger number of complaints on the Seasonic built units. In addition if it meant nothing then Antec would have used CWT for their $100+ units instead of Seasonic and simply doubled their profit if the original manufacturer has no impact on the final product.

About the BeHardware failure rate article...

Units were only sampled over a several month period. You can say that over this small stretch of time, one brand or model may be better than another, assuming that the error wasn't due to sample size, but this is no indication of the past, future, or longterm reliability of any one brand beyond this period. More than likely during this period the most popular Antec units sold were CWT models (they sell a lot more entry level products than high end products like most large companies. Most Antec cases come bundled with CWT-built PSU's over this time period). These would highly skew the results DURING THIS PERIOD, and cannot be applied to the entire history and future of the company.

One possibly significant part of the article that seems to be ignored is the HUGE VARIABILITY in failure rates in different series of Antec PSU's. The SP2 series has about a 20% failure rate among all the models sampled and the NeoHE has a 2.6% failure rate.

Could it be that the ones manufactured by CWT have a higher failure rate than the Seasonic units? Does an EIGHT-FOLD difference in failure rates between CWT built series and Seasonic built series mean anything??

Answer: Yes, it means that OCC_Yoda is wrong.

wrong in what way?
Antec still having issues....
Maybe not as many issues but still having issues none the less.......more than most other brands....

But in Antec`s defense it does look like they may have finally got their act together with the new Antec EarthWatts EA-500 PSU!!!

Only time will tell......

Its still a let the buyer beware....... :D

I'll regret purchasing an Antec powersupply, the last I purchased was 3 years ago, the powersupplies back then worked, and so do the lower end models of Antec.

Sorry If I come off on the wrong foot, but, because if you purchase an Antec, you say all of their powersupplies are bad. I use them for powering legacy systems slot 1 or above with my folding rigs, they still work to this day. So what if I power legacy systems, I'm more worried about what becomes of Antec's quality, with all of these complaints toward them.

I've had only 1 Antec fry, not because of the craftmanship of it, or Quality control of it. It fried during a bad surge going though an APC ups and to the powersupply.

If you purchased an 330w truepower 1.0 or an 430w newer truepower 2.0, It will work too.

All I know is if Antec would have labled the Trio 650 the Trio 640 instead, Jonnyguru's tests would have shown this psu to be a 640 watt diamond that passed with flying colors. Instead the additional 10 watts in a torture test broke the sucker and gave it a black eye.

The Trio 640 or 620 would have saved Antec from the wrath of Jonny :p

Remember that the power supply killed itself only when pushed to the bleeding edge, something most systems may never do. Otherwise it was exemplary up to that very fine point.

Got my SU-380 back from RMA and it's quiet as a ghost. Running new XP install right now to test it, and so far so good.

EDIT: They shipped a new one in a white box too, not a reman from the looks of it.

I have the high pitched squeal of death in my Antec SP-500, soon to be replaced with a Corsair HX520. Enough is enough, don't even care about a replacement unit.

thank god i have internet at work, because i to had a antec psu for a couple of years, out of no where my pc wouldnt boot up at all. I tried replacing a cable before spending 200 bucks on a new GOOD psu, and ya it was the psu that died without warning

I just sent my Neo480 in for RMA. It is dead after one and a half years of hotness.

I have the high pitched squeal of death in my Antec SP-500, soon to be replaced with a Corsair HX520. Enough is enough, don't even care about a replacement unit.

It's interesting, I put this in another computer and no more squeal. Granted, it's not even close to my desktop, but it works just fine in my kids' computer- is it possible that a higher load on the psu causes the whine/squeal in the SP-500's?

It's interesting, I put this in another computer and no more squeal. Granted, it's not even close to my desktop, but it works just fine in my kids' computer- is it possible that a higher load on the psu causes the whine/squeal in the SP-500's?

I found the higher the load, the higher the squeal. I did the same thing you did, but instead, got a lower level squeal in a slower/lower end computer.

They received my SP-500 on 2/13, and I haven't heard (or received) anything as of yet.

I have been running Antec PSU's in a lot of my machines for years not with not a single one failing *knocks on wood*

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on that 500 watt EarthWatts unit jonny gave a 9....$49 A/R at CompUSSR
Anybody tried one of these yet and had any isthues with?
I'm looking to use it with an Asus M2N-E, X2 4000, 2 GB, 2 hdd's, floppy, 7600GS(passive), and 2 DVD burners....plus Zalman 9500 hsf.

jonny...UPS in your neighborhood REALLY sucks but up here in Cleveland, it's stellar.
I loved FedEx when I was down there in FL and hated UPS just like you. That changed when we got up here and discovered that FedEx was using DeDeDee's for drivers. A couple of orders from ZZF were delivered on wrong streets and of course missing...what a righteous PITA. That's why no more ZZF orders for me .since they only use FedEx.

jonny...UPS in your neighborhood REALLY sucks but up here in Cleveland, it's stellar.

If you ever worked in a UPS Hub and saw how the trucks are loaded you would be amazed that your package got there :D

I think I broke some guy's guitar the other day :( The friggin package just went sliding off the top of my package wall and I couldn't reach it. Poor guy....

Back