Do not get an oyua yet!

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
I gotten one and tried it.

1. it does not auto dim when no action takes place. (better for screens like plasma)
2. the menu seems quite crappy.
3. The update / download speeds in their networks is so freaking slow.
4. They should have free games with ads, not just try before you buy in a way where it is just a demo game and you have to buy it after playing a bit, however this depends on the developers.

I think i need to install amazon market place apk on it and hope that those apk can work for oyua

also i cant find xbmc anywhere for the oyua

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005

I also have a feeling that a small minority of the backers (the annoying ones) did not actually understand what they were getting into with a first generation, new comer, open console type device like this. That also still hasn't officially launched yet.

If it's still like that after it launches, complain then. Nobody wants to hear that shit now.

80+ views on this thread in less than 2h, i would say that some people do want to hear "this shit" now.

You don't have to be so defensive, specially as OP used "yet", he didn't say "don't you ever get an OUYA".

1. it does not auto dim when no action takes place. (better for screens like plasma)
2. the menu seems quite crappy.
3. The update / download speeds in their networks is so freaking slow.
4. They should have free games with ads, not just try before you buy in a way where it is just a demo game and you have to buy it after playing a bit, however this depends on the developers.

I think i need to install amazon market place apk on it and hope that those apk can work for oyua

While I agree with not getting one, I'd like to address your points.

1. Most all modern plasma sets built within the last 5-6 years do pixel-shifting to avoid any kind of burn-in. Plasma screen burn-in is a thing of the past, and many people don't know this.
2. Ouya has publicly stated that the Menu UI and speed will be improved upon in the near future, by retail release which was pushed back 3 weeks.
3. See #2, also only Dev/Beta kits are out and you should expect such performance.
4. They owe you nothing, this is a moot point.

5. XBMC has been announced for Ouya, thats it. The team developing it hasn't made a peep since so of course you're not going to find that app yet for a beta product only available to developers in which the retail version has not yet been released.

Regardless, the novelty of Ouya is neat and would be fun to own one just for collectors sake. Nothing more.

Last edited:
I went with a $40 android on a stick to cover my streaming needs until Ouya's kinks are ironed out.

Last edited:
So many people think that Beta means I get an early copy of the final product so I get to use it before everyone else does. It doesn't.

It means shit is still broken and you are supposed to help them fix it.

So much can change between a beta version of something and the final, even if release is right around the corner.

But...didn't Kickstarters pay ~$100 for the "beta" version, whereas the final version is still going to be $100?

Seems to me like Kickstarters got jacked hard.

...Or maybe this is the final version, in which case...LOL.

But...didn't Kickstarters pay ~$100 for the "beta" version, whereas the final version is still going to be $100?

The hardware is the same. Anyone with a "beta" version will have it updated to final via software when it becomes available.

So many people think that Beta means I get an early copy of the final product so I get to use it before everyone else does. It doesn't.

So much can change between a beta version of something and the final, even if release is right around the corner.

Perfect example is how many games need to be patched launch day.

Well the problem is that the gaming industry now is making a trend where beta IS early access. Regardless of how qualified a person is at testing a product, anyone can get into beta if they are willing to pre-order or buy some supporter's pack. It's so close to release that by the time people actually spend a reasonable amount of time on a product, the company would have had to prepare the final product already.

Furthermore, in the case of Ouya, this is the only product the Kickstarter backers will be getting.

They paid $100 for a developer kit. It's the same hardware in a different casing than the final retail version. There may be some minor tweaks to the final board layout and ancillary components, but the basic functionality is identical.

I don't believe so, no.

Thanks for the report TheBuzzer. I hope you also get on their official forums or whatever and report these findings, even if it's just to echo what others are already saying.

While I agree with not getting one, I'd like to address your points.

1. Most all modern plasma sets built within the last 5-6 years do pixel-shifting to avoid any kind of burn-in. Plasma screen burn-in is a thing of the past, and many people don't know this.
2. Ouya has publicly stated that the Menu UI and speed will be improved upon in the near future, by retail release which was pushed back 3 weeks.
3. See #2, also only Dev/Beta kits are out and you should expect such performance.
4. They owe you nothing, this is a moot point.

5. XBMC has been announced for Ouya, thats it. The team developing it hasn't made a peep since so of course you're not going to find that app yet for a beta product only available to developers in which the retail version has not yet been released.

Regardless, the novelty of Ouya is neat and would be fun to own one just for collectors sake. Nothing more.

No matter what a plasma says you are wearing it out over time and if you leave a game console on with the same hud for hours its burning in. Just because that burned in element is a little blurry because the image moved around does not mean it is not there effecting image quality. The only way to keep a even wear on the plasma is to reduce the time of static images and the easiest thing any software can do is a black screen saver of some sort.

No matter what a plasma says you are wearing it out over time and if you leave a game console on with the same hud for hours its burning in. Just because that burned in element is a little blurry because the image moved around does not mean it is not there effecting image quality. The only way to keep a even wear on the plasma is to reduce the time of static images and the easiest thing any software can do is a black screen saver of some sort.

Or, you know, turn the damn thing off when you're not using it.

Since my plasma boots up slower than my PC a lot of people don't like to do that. And that wasn't the point, the point was sometimes you go away to go to the bathroom or talk to someone on the phone, or maybe some kids come and play. Lots of reasons why real people in the real world who aren't perfect like to set things up to safe guard them. And any company period whos primary target is TV users should be sensitive to plasma burn in, you know not all people have brand new plasmas with all the latest anti IR stuff and some people even turn that junk off since its annoying.

Since my plasma boots up slower than my PC a lot of people don't like to do that. And that wasn't the point, the point was sometimes you go away to go to the bathroom or talk to someone on the phone, or maybe some kids come and play. Lots of reasons why real people in the real world who aren't perfect like to set things up to safe guard them. And any company period whos primary target is TV users should be sensitive to plasma burn in, you know not all people have brand new plasmas with all the latest anti IR stuff and some people even turn that junk off since its annoying.

Here you go:

You mean like how a lot of CRT monitors have the windows task bar burned in?:p

Does dimming really prevent burn in? Seems to me that it wouldn't matter if its bright or dim... as long as the same image is on the screen its going to burn in if the display panel is susceptible to it.

I thought dimming was just energy savings....

It would reduce the effect over time for sure on a plasma.

Back