Do new Seasonics stink?

Azzkiker

Limp Gawd
Just got an SS-1050XM delivered from Amazon. Haven't installed it yet, but I have noticed the units stinks, not quite like smoke or a burned smell... but very odd and pungent. Is this normal... or has Amazon sent me a returned unit thats been fried?

I remember that the black Styrofoam packaging that came with my Seasonic X-560 had a distinct smell, but not the PSU itself. Take the PSU out of the packaging, close the box, and see if it's the PSU itself that smells or just the packaging.

I'm still not sure if it was my seasonic that smelled like... Almost like hot plastic but not burning for about a month after I got it. I made a thread at the time like about 9 months ago and kept trying different solutions. It finally just went away on its own or I moved whatever wire was getting toasty. But it was not really an unpleasant smell it was kinda just like new computer smell. Not as nice as new car or shoe store smell but not exactly like peeing on a fire either.

I have 2 seasonics, don't remember them stinking, but I didn't sniff them.

Yeah, I can confirm the smell. My whole room smelled like it for a week or so after I installed it. I just chalked it up to new electronics smell... solder or something like that. It went away after a while.

Never had this with a seasonic, but I did open one of those cheap corsair cx 430 watt power supplies and the next breath I took felt like I sucked up all the solder into my nose. Not a pleasant smell, but it dissipated quickly.

Installed it, and everything is great so far.

Must be some funky smell from the factory, like a mix between new electronics and bad fish... it's starting to dissipate already.

Half the boxes I open from China smell like I need to call the EPA in to investigate.

Back