do new games suck or am I cynical?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
This is more a question for those 30 or older. Its a matter of comparison and perspective.

I'm nearing 36 years old now. I still like PC gaming even though I don't get much time for it with a child in the home. I've been really struggling to find games I want to play. I find all newer ones look pretty but are boring and unappealing. OK witcher 3 was pretty cool. I'm having trouble thinking of more.

I usually play old games or some indie titles. Been enjoying into the breach lately.also been playing marathon from bungie in their old days. Used to have it as a kid but never beat it.

So....do games really suck that much now? I feel like its the same old garbage recycled into infinity.

But then I look at the past and we had some amazing games when 3d hardware was still new. I guess it was all new then. Even so, when I go back to play some of those old games they really do hold up despite the now archaic graphics.

I'm not the only one, I have several friends who say the same. Maybe we're just getting older and don't care anymore?

Not lookin for new titles right now, I gave up on that. Just my rant. Get off my lawn you damn kids. And take your pokemon with you.

I think you are a bit cynical. Games today are actually quite a bit better in terms of quality and playability than many old games. There is also generally a lot more content from some newer games than older games. If you consider the amount of lore in most newer games compared to old games, newer games definitely have more.

I think many people remember old games more fondly because of the time in their life they were playing them and what was available then. I don't play games nearly as much as I used to, because frankly I have other stuff I have to do. It isn't that I don't like current games, it's more a time issue. And I also tend to find myself playing some of the same games rather than taking the time to learn more games, mostly because I just don't have the time to master newer games anymore.

I'd say it's more that "New games with big marketing budgets suck". I think a lot of AAA devs have put profit before fun, so not only do they suck but they're in your face everywhere and you feel like you're surrounded by rehashed garbage.
If you want more genuine games you need to look at indies. You have to do your own digging for them, but there are TONES of good titles putting game play first.

Just ignore all the AAA fanfare (E3 etc). Less disappointment in your life, and when the rare AAA gem comes out, you'll hear about it from more reliable sources anyway. (y)

I'm 35....

You're suffering from "I know I've played this before.." syndrome.

It tends to manifest itself after 30 years of playing games lol

Basically, we've plowed through almost every conceivable genre and are therefor easily bored.

- You might want to look into an ARPG like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. The theorycrafting aka math in those games is what "saved" me..

I'm 35....

...Basically, we've plowed through almost every conceivable genre and are therefor easily bored...

In general I agree with this. I amassed a large wishlist of games until I was able to build a new PC. After I built the PC, I started playing the games from my list and noticed there was a level of familiarity as he stated. I started gravitating towards games that were more story driven or in genres I never explored before. A prime example would be Subnautica. I thought it was outstanding and it captivated my attention. IMO, you will have to be more selective, yet broaden your gaming possibilities, in order to get a better yield/return on the experience.

Getting my son a PS4 Pro has gotten me back into gaming. It is so nice to just sit on the couch with a comfortable controller and play. An HDR television looks worlds better than an IPS computer monitor. I played Alienation a bunch and am on to God of War now. It is amazing. I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider and RDR II to try next.

I feel like it's a combination of many things.

1) Nostalgia. Memories of the past are often more powerful than living in the present.

2) Over abundance of open world games with super tedious and boring fetch quests.

3) Battle royale flavor of the week. They're all the same. Dropped from the sky, shrinking circle, stock up, camp, shoot people. Rinse, repeat.

4) Cash grabs. Games these days are created for the money, not for the joy of gaming. Microtransactions and loot boxes everywhere. It's sickening.

5) Lack of mod support. Ties in with the above. If the community is able to create free content, then how will the big evil game corp be able to milk every last dollar out of the player?

Remember Unreal Tournament? Absolutely zero paid content, and thousands, literally THOUSANDS of community maps and mods, all for free. That was the golden age of gaming.

I'm 35....

Basically, we've plowed through almost every conceivable genre and are therefor easily bored.

- You might want to look into an ARPG like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. The theorycrafting aka math in those games is what "saved" me..
This how I am with FPS. I can not stand them anymore. I was bored of them by the time Half Life 2 came out.

I agree about ARPGs. I like how action games are also incorporating RPG elements now.

Gonna be honest, it's rare that I find a story game that pulls me in anymore - AC Odyssey did it for me and the Witcher series has done it for me, beyond that it's very rare. Shooters especially, they seem to never be able to break past the "same ole same ole" barrier.

Surprisingly enough, mindless grinds satisfy me the most these days. Hell, I just got sucked into some mobile game called Skylanders: Ring of Heroes and it's SAD how much time I'm putting into a totally worthless grind with no story. But it is what it is.

I feel like it's a combination of many things.

1) Nostalgia. Memories of the past are often more powerful than living in the present.

2) Over abundance of open world games with super tedious and boring fetch quests.

3) Battle royale flavor of the week. They're all the same. Dropped from the sky, shrinking circle, stock up, camp, shoot people. Rinse, repeat.

4) Cash grabs. Games these days are created for the money, not for the joy of gaming. Microtransactions and loot boxes everywhere. It's sickening.

5) Lack of mod support. Ties in with the above. If the community is able to create free content, then how will the big evil game corp be able to milk every last dollar out of the player?

Remember Unreal Tournament? Absolutely zero paid content, and thousands, literally THOUSANDS of community maps and mods, all for free. That was the golden age of gaming.

I'd add one more. He's just getting older.

Have you ever noticed how your grandparents tend to have radically different tastes in movies than you? I would say this is different than nostalgia, because it's not about being sentimental about the past. We grow up and our tastes are molded to accept something at a specific age. It's sort of like how I can watch tons of 80's slasher horror movies just fine. I show them to a younger person though, and they find them boring. And it's not just 80s slashers I saw when they were new. Many I'm watching for the first time. My mind is able to accept those movies.

The same with games. I can accept 8 bit graphics. I don't see it as nostalgic 8 bit graphics. Rather, that's how I see video games in general, and a level I'm willing to tolerate. And it's also why I love adventure games. Part of what I love about those games are things that today's audience considers tedious and boring. I love having to map things out on graph paper, and the lack of a journal, and having to take notes.

But getting older happens to us all. The bottom line is games evolve. You either need to evolve with the times, or you get left behind thinking new games are terrible, and you're no longer part of the audience companies cater towards.

I'd add one more. He's just getting older.

Have you ever noticed how your grandparents tend to have radically different tastes in movies than you? I would say this is different than nostalgia, because it's not about being sentimental about the past. We grow up and our tastes are molded to accept something at a specific age. It's sort of like how I can watch tons of 80's slasher horror movies just fine. I show them to a younger person though, and they find them boring. And it's not just 80s slashers I saw when they were new. Many I'm watching for the first time. My mind is able to accept those movies.

The same with games. I can accept 8 bit graphics. I don't see it as nostalgic 8 bit graphics. Rather, that's how I see video games in general, and a level I'm willing to tolerate. And it's also why I love adventure games. Part of what I love about those games are things that today's audience considers tedious and boring. I love having to map things out on graph paper, and the lack of a journal, and having to take notes.

But getting older happens to us all. The bottom line is games evolve. You either need to evolve with the times, or you get left behind thinking new games are terrible, and you're no longer part of the audience companies cater towards.
Our tastes are not set in stone. I could not play or watch 90% of the games / movies I enjoyed as a teen. I really enjoyed unreal tournament and Q3A, but I have zero interest in battle royal games, which is basically the same, just more boring on a shrinking map. It has nothing to do with age, as I know people over 40 who play BR games, and enjoy them, and spend a lot of money on P2W garbage.

Modern western games mostly do, with some exceptions.
Japan is stronger than ever.

I'm 35....

This is the best answer upto now. I'm 44 so my first gaming experience was 2 sticks knocking a square back and forth. To me games only appeal now if they are rich in gameplay, complex. fairly open and best in class (Path of Exile, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Europa Universalis IV ...). A lot of games now aren't very innovative and are then further ruined by P2W, loot chests ...

Exceptions are simulations like football games where I will skip most of the silly additions and just stick to playing the improved versions of what was there more than 15 years ago.

32 here. Here's the thing... we literally grew up in the golden age of gaming. Every type of game out these days were pioneered in the 90s and 2000s meaning that all modern games are iterations of games we grew up with. I mean I can think of a handful of games growing up that were truly revolutionary in terms of story, gameplay, and graphics... these days games are just slightly better looking versions of games from the previous year. Think about the difference in graphics from say the Playstation 1 to Playstation 2 to Playstation 3, and then to Playstation 4. We will never see a jump in graphics again from what we saw from PS2 to PS3 let-alone from PS1 to PS2 which was even more substantial.

There are still great games that come out these days that are just iterative versions of previous games... in more ways than one they are perfected versions of games we've already played and I think that is why I find newer games less exciting than most. I find myself more excited for games that either scratch my sequel itch for long-running franchises I grew up with or remakes of older games. Perfect example is the recent Resident Evil 2 remake and Ace Combat 7. Two of some of my favorite gaming franchises of all time. There are a LOT of great games coming out that I am super excited about, but they are fewer and far-between. Also I think in the past when I could commit more time to playing games I would get more excited for releases, but nowadays I find myself looking for more casual experiences where I can talk to my friends. For instance my best friend and I who moved out of state years ago... we keep in touch through Xbox almost exclusively if we want to talk. We'll fire up some Rocket League or some co-op game like Ghost Recon Wildlands and play together but mostly talk and catch-up with what's going on in our lives. So gaming has evolved for me in many ways, but the list of my upcoming games to play is as large as ever.

Last edited:
The "AAA" space does suck, for the most part, due to greedy-ass publishers and shitty microtransaction/lootbox mechanics crammed into every game these days.

There are still some great games out there if you know where to look. The indie space is doing really well, and there are a few big publishers/developers that aren't complete shit yet.

38 here, got into Monster Hunter World recently and already poured in 160 hours. Prior to that I was playing a lot of Vermintide 2, Overwatch, Diablo 3 on/off, Street Fighter V, God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3.

For nostalgia sake, I went thru the NES and SNES classic (despite still owning originals) and replayed a ton of old stuff. Old vs new, there's no real denying that quality and quantity are up and up (for all the good stuff, there's a ton of REALLY bad stuff to avoid playing)

I mean there's a ton of variation to suit your tastes, the battle royale flavor of the month appeals to a small batch compared to the whole gamer base that exists across all platforms.

damn am I the oldest here?

for xbox - I played TONS.. and was heavily into it.. then when my son came to age.. we played together and COD kill confirm... he snipes the kills, I retrieve tags and when I die.. he covers my tag plus the others LOL.. was fun...
started staying away from xbox gaming as it started to affect my marriage as I wasn't doing anything else..

pc games...
Call Of Duty series
battlefield series
ghost recon series
l4d
killing floor
titanfall
tom Clancy and rainbow six - many of them

we play on Tues nights and that is bout the jist of it anymore and it gets old.
we don't to pvp, but my son still does.. and he is still good he is really good with apex..

but to answer your question... I have an addictive personality and while some games do feel familiar... I play them anyway.
currently we are playing Tom Clancys Division (not DV2) but just 1....

and while it is fun.. its like a modern diablo or Skyrim... its ok at times... dark zone is fun till I'm a few brews in and some punk wants to play rogue and I get all mad.. hah...

but lately I feel there isn't anything much to add to the games. yes graphics getting better and better... but ive played so many games that it does seem like ive done this before...

32 here. Here's the thing... we literally grew up in the golden age of gaming. Every type of game out these days were pioneered in the 90s and 2000s meaning that all modern games are iterations of games we grew up with. I mean I can think of a handful of games growing up that were truly revolutionary in terms of story, gameplay, and graphics... these days games are just slightly better looking versions of games from the previous year. Think about the difference in graphics from say the Playstation 1 to Playstation 2 to Playstation 3, and then to Playstation 4. We will never see a jump in graphics again from what we saw from PS2 to PS3 let-alone from PS1 to PS2 which was even more substantial.

There are still great games that come out these days that are just iterative versions of previous games... in more ways than one they are perfected versions of games we've already played and I think that is why I find newer games less exciting than most. I find myself more excited for games that either scratch my sequel itch for long-running franchises I grew up with or remakes of older games. Perfect example is the recent Resident Evil 2 remake and Ace Combat 7. Two of some of my favorite gaming franchises of all time. There are a LOT of great games coming out that I am super excited about, but they are fewer and far-between. Also I think in the past when I could commit more time to playing games I would get more excited for releases, but nowadays I find myself looking for more casual experiences where I can talk to my friends. For instance my best friend and I who moved out of state years ago... we keep in touch through Xbox almost exclusively if we want to talk. We'll fire up some Rocket League or some co-op game like Ghost Recon Wildlands and play together but mostly talk and catch-up with what's going on in our lives. So gaming has evolved for me in many ways, but the list of my upcoming games to play is as large as ever.

This basically mirrors my sentiments and lifestyle. I went through this phase of exclusive playing console games in the early 2000's (PS1, PS2, GC, Xbox), then switching to PC only until about 2015 (around the time I quit WoW). I played PS4 from then on. As of last week, I'm back in the PC scene with the PS4 getting less and less play time. I find that I'm excited about games coming out (Red Dead Redemption 2 was a big one, but before that, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, etc.), but rarely do I fully finish a game. I haven't gotten very far into RDR2, and I'm honestly not sure right now, when I'll get back to it. All of the games I've looked forward to, I've bought. But did I really enjoy them if I didn't beat them? How good (to me) could they possibly have been to not warrant at least getting to the end, much less a 100% completionist playthrough?

I find as I'm getting older and the years go on, I'm double backing to older habits. When I quit WoW, I didn't want to even think about keeping up with PC upgrades or sitting there and playing a game. You could say I outgrew gaming (I thinkthat's what most people end up describing it as), but something ended up pulling me in, whether it was the itch to grab the latest (or one previously played) Final Fantasy and relive my childhood, or the simple fact that I didn't want to be out of the loop out of sheer habit. I'm glad I came back eventually, as some real gems came out since then, like God of War (I can't remember finishing a game to 100% completion prior to that). Games like that exist to evolve gaming as an entertainment medium, with top of the line presentation value that outdoes anything else. Games with single player campaigns that make you feel something at the end are as powerful if not more so than equivalent movies. Sure, not every game has to do that to be enjoyable, but the ones that do and do so well are ones you don't really forget about.

Anyway, I think that there are a lot of games out there that are mere copies in an industry that's wholly cyclical for the most part, but at the same time, there are some seriously noteworthy gems that need to be played. When you go from SNES to current generation PC, it's tough to see how it could evolve any further not only visual fidelity wise, but gameplay wise. We all relate to certain genres of games and as long as we can continue to have high quality games delivered to us we'll keep playing them and enjoying them.

You're not wrong OP, but your looking at just one slice of a giant pie.

The gaming industry has changed, that's right. In the 90s, gaming was much more a nerd culture. There was also no internet and information wasn't democratized. It was very insular and thus the industry was smaller and catered to the enthusiasts.

Nowadays gaming has gone mainstream and the industry has become corporate. With corporations looking to appeal to the masses, you get lots of flashy, soulless products. Looking at that part, you're not wrong to say gaming sucks.

OTOH, there's also indie developers and studio developers who have creative control, eg CDProjektRed. They are making games, too. Some are great, and some are misses. In that respect, it's still similar to the 90s.

My biggest complaint with gaming is the monetization. There are publishers that charge full-price for a DLC as if it were a brand new game. Used to be DLCs were a small add-on for $5 or $10. There was something called a GOTY that came out with all the DLCs for $20 - that's becoming less and less prevalent.

Then there is the cancer that is microtransactions. That's been discussed already. My point is both of these trends are displacing the culture and making it entirely corporate and profits-driven. There is still great content out there, but because of the corporate influence I fear the old culture will never be the same.

You're not wrong OP, but your looking at just one slice of a giant pie.

The gaming industry has changed, that's right. In the 90s, gaming was much more a nerd culture. There was also no internet and information wasn't democratized. It was very insular and thus the industry was smaller and catered to the enthusiasts.

Nowadays gaming has gone mainstream and the industry has become corporate. With corporations looking to appeal to the masses, you get lots of flashy, soulless products. Looking at that part, you're not wrong to say gaming sucks.

OTOH, there's also indie developers and studio developers who have creative control, eg CDProjektRed. They are making games, too. Some are great, and some are misses. In that respect, it's still similar to the 90s.

My biggest complaint with gaming is the monetization. There are publishers that charge full-price for a DLC as if it were a brand new game. Used to be DLCs were a small add-on for $5 or $10. There was something called a GOTY that came out with all the DLCs for $20 - that's becoming less and less prevalent.

Then there is the cancer that is microtransactions. That's been discussed already. My point is both of these trends are displacing the culture and making it entirely corporate and profits-driven. There is still great content out there, but because of the corporate influence I fear the old culture will never be the same.

There's the monetization, but the other thing is games have just become so much longer.

I wouldn't say I became a gamer until the NES and Sierra adventure games on the PC. Yeah, I liked arcade games, but the computer games I had before King's Quest I could only play for a few minutes at a time before getting ridiculously bored. Fast forward to the NES and SNES and computer games at the time, and even the longest games only took something like 20-30 hours to beat (excluding evil games like Wizardry and Ghouls n Ghosts here). The early 2000s is when I started to hate gaming when they started requiring the 40 hours minimum standard. Just so much filler.

I ran though Secret of Mana again a year ago. By hour 4, I had already traversed 6 dungeons. Even Chrono Trigger of Final Fantasy, there's very little dead time. It's amazing how quickly the next random battle takes place after the previous one. And looking at platformers like Super Mario Bros. and the 2D sequels, there are always enemies on the screen. But you get a modern open world game like The Witcher 3, and you're walking around for minutes without anything to do. When Final Fantasy XII originally came out for the PS2, I hated it. When I got the remaster for the PS4 though, and could play on 4x the speed, suddenly I didn't mind it anymore and found it to be a decent game.

And I loved the original Call of Duty. Multiplayer games, you had everything unlocked. It's when they started to have stupid level up systems in the game that my distaste for modern FPSs has been forming. Every Call of Duty seems to get longer, with more gambling and addictive factors put in. I just gave up on the latest (BO4). When it was released, I played for the full weekend, way too much time (maybe like 14-16 hours?) and didn't even reach prestige 1. And to unlock stuff? There are 100 tiers, and you need to play an hour per tier. Then, 60 days later, there are a new set of 100 tiers, and the same thing. And most of those tiers are complete garbage. I just can't put in 1000 hours into a game, and honestly get burnt out after 200+ hours into a game. I'm not a fan of having to spend even more money for guns, and don't want to spend my entire life playing a game. I just miss the days of games being games.

Game are too fast today and they just carbon copy the next guy. Lack of character improved graphics that are not really improved upon the last game and just doing it for a job. I think in like 2011 or so games started getting a ton of textures and ruined immersion. I think when screens started getting too big and LCD screens took over that could of had some kinda impact on Game design because alot of the good games were developed on CRT screens making a tighter package. When 3-D graphics became the norm that had a impact and kinda sprawled out of nowhere to the point where it's the norm.

If you want to try a good game try pathfinder Kingmaker that game is Awesome.

Last edited:
32, and yea I had a lot of the above. Games that have recently grabbed my attention and kept me playing have been games like those that I played when I was ~5 years old, so that's 2D platformers that have really difficult enemies, things like Dead Cells and Hollow Knight, I 100% and poured hours into.

FPS games that I played in my early 20s have almost no entertainment value to me anymore, I'm playing Far Cry New Dawn currently, I just find the FPS genre so so easy now, everything moves slowly, your a bullet sponge for the most part. I find Multiplayer FPS games far too slow between rounds and lose interest quickly (looking at you Battle Royal)

When I look at my most played list over the last year they have been hard Metroidvania style games, and planning/thinking type games:

Hollow Knight
Dead Cells
Cuphead
They are Billions
Factorio
Subnautica
Slime Rancher (awesome chill, game)
Oxygen Not Included
Prey (the one exception, this felt fresh though)

Looking at it only one is a AAA title, Maybe that is the issue AAA games are shocking now, but Indie games are miles better...

P.S

I really wish we had some fast Multiplayer FPS games like UT or Quake of Old, I tried Quake Champions and that felt clunky and slow, So does the DOOM 2016 multiplayer.

At least I have grown out of "Must have the best GPU" that I went through with the 5700, 7800GTX and 8800GTX Days, and just in time too... Why isn't the 2080 Ti £400-£500 card :(

Last edited:
This is more a question for those 30 or older. Its a matter of comparison and perspective.

I'm nearing 36 years old now. I still like PC gaming even though I don't get much time for it with a child in the home. I've been really struggling to find games I want to play. I find all newer ones look pretty but are boring and unappealing. OK witcher 3 was pretty cool. I'm having trouble thinking of more.

I usually play old games or some indie titles. Been enjoying into the breach lately.also been playing marathon from bungie in their old days. Used to have it as a kid but never beat it.

So....do games really suck that much now? I feel like its the same old garbage recycled into infinity.

But then I look at the past and we had some amazing games when 3d hardware was still new. I guess it was all new then. Even so, when I go back to play some of those old games they really do hold up despite the now archaic graphics.

I'm not the only one, I have several friends who say the same. Maybe we're just getting older and don't care anymore?

Not lookin for new titles right now, I gave up on that. Just my rant. Get off my lawn you damn kids. And take your pokemon with you.

I wouldn't say they all suck (newer AAAs) but MOST of them don't interest me anymore. I like id games and Arkane games as examples of AAAs that I still enjoy. Otherwise, like yourself, I play a metric eff-ton of indies and classics. (and Nintendo first party on the Switch and Wii-U)

I'd way rather be playing something like Dead Cells or Axiom Verge than most modern big budget games. There are a few that look promising though. I'll definitely be picking up Cyberpunk, and Atomic Heart looks like it will be pretty cool. I'm also enjoying DOA6 right now, but then I still enjoy a good fighter. I'm getting into SHMUPS again, though I lean more toward modern versions of the classic arcade styles, and less the "bullet hell" types, so they're a bit trickier to find. Darius Burst is a pretty good one. I still need to play Super Hydorah too. I also just grabbed R-Type Dimensions.

I think you are a bit cynical. Games today are actually quite a bit better in terms of quality and playability than many old games. There is also generally a lot more content from some newer games than older games. If you consider the amount of lore in most newer games compared to old games, newer games definitely have more.

I think many people remember old games more fondly because of the time in their life they were playing them and what was available then. I don't play games nearly as much as I used to, because frankly I have other stuff I have to do. It isn't that I don't like current games, it's more a time issue. And I also tend to find myself playing some of the same games rather than taking the time to learn more games, mostly because I just don't have the time to master newer games anymore.

Also a couple other factors:

1) The more of anything there is, the more crap there is. As gaming continues to get more popular, there are more crap games along with the good games. Same deal for movies, TV, books, etc. So it can seem like there's "more crap" but it really is just that there's more.

2) We tend to remember the stuff we liked, not the stuff we didn't. There were some BAAAAAAAD games back in the day. One of my favourites is Captian Novolon for the SNES. What a shit show.

Sometimes the plethora of choice makes things less fun. Part of the reason for the nostalgia is the fact that there were only so many options to choose from. When you have too many options you are often also provided many more things to gripe about a game not having.

I'm 35....

I feel the same. Publishers need some new IP’s and some new genres.

When people say they can't find anything good anymore I always suggest one thing: Broaden your horizons. If you are only looking at AAA titles you're bound to find a lot of stuff that simply won't fit your tastes. So look elsewhere, explore your options more, find something that excites you. It might take a lot of time, but its worth it in the end. At 34 I still find games that get me excited and make me look forward to playing them. I can still get lost for hours in the right kind of game. It just takes more time and effort to find those games.

I wish they'd just lock Shigeru Miyamoto in a room and demand he start making little 2d indie games....

Imagine the awesome stuff we'd get.

Honestly, Miyamoto is better being more hands off these days. Remember Starfox Zero? That was due to him having some creative control and demanding "innovative" changes to the game's controls.

Honestly, Miyamoto is better being more hands off these days. Remember Starfox Zero? That was due to him having some creative control and demanding "innovative" changes to the game's controls.

I'll be the first to admit he's gone a bit off the rails trying to innovate using new control schemes.

But, force an already standardized controller on him and best believe he'll come up with some awesome sh*t.

I'm pretty confident he has more fresh gameplay ideas in his back pocket than Taco Bell does new chalupa variations..

40 here, I have pretty much stopped playing most video games and went back to things like D&D etc.

All Starfox games suck. (IMO anyway) That was one first party series (aside from Mario Party) that I could never get into. Just lock him in that room, with a normal controller (as horrorshow said) and only give him the assets to make platformers and RPGs. :D If Miyazaki could make movies at his age, Miyamoto can make games.

Edit: I probably would have liked Star Fox much better, if I hadn't been spoiled for vector-based games on my Amiga. That was something that it excelled at, (and later the PC) so when I saw Star Fox, it just looked like a primitive version of games that I'd already been playing. I'm sure it probably has a touch of Nintendo magic to it, but I never really gave it a chance. Even with their Super FX chip, the frame rate was pretty choppy, where Fat Agnus mopped the floor with vectors. Not to mention having played a lot of arcade vector games like Starblade and STUN Runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
30s here. I miss the excitement of logging in for the first time on a Saturday knowing I have the next 10h to veg out. Now, nothing. I sit at my desk unsure what to do. Path of Exile gets me going, but by week two or three I've lost my drive.

You could give me $100 to spend on Steam, and there isn't a single game I'd be excited to try.

The game spectrum has definitely narrowed down and anything tries to just use the same successful recepie for the grey masses with a little difference tweaks.

I still play a lot of my old games ( even form dos) because the game plays is unlike anything being putt out today.

I still enjoy playing the old 256colors master of Orion because of its very unique strategy game with mechanics they i have not seen in any other game.
i remember playing quake and practicing the grenade+ rocket jump combination to hit the moving platform in DM4.

But in the name of balance and easyness to get into the game. that kind of things just seems to be missing.

Last edited:
I'm 36 also, and for the most part, yes they suck compared to games of old. Every now and then someone shits a diamond (Witcher 3) but its a rarity now days.

this is why some people are into the indie scene, there can be more innovation found there, or at least more passionate game makers where that feeling of excitement bleeds through to the gameplay (I mean, playing some AAA games feels like a chore, like I imagine it was to most people who made the damn thing)

this is why some people are into the indie scene, there can be more innovation found there, or at least more passionate game makers where that feeling of excitement bleeds through to the gameplay (I mean, playing some AAA games feels like a chore, like I imagine it was to most people who made the damn thing)

That's pretty much it. Those games are made by people that have an idea or two, and want to make something cool. They haven't yet been beaten into that mindset of making top-dollar and spending 200 million on the game's budget. There's a place for the latter, but really the indie games are where we see either interesting new ideas, or highly polished and iterated older ideas. I still love a good blockbuster once in a while, but I mainly play indies. Plus the genres that I've always liked (MVanias, Horizontal SHUMPs, overhead RPGs, etc.) are all pretty well represented by indies.

Side note: I discovered last night that I'm still pretty damned good at the first R-Type (took some time to play it in Dimensions). I didn't finish it, and the circuit board looking level pissed me off (so I quit), but I made it there on just a small handful of ships. It seems I have a lot of muscle memory for this game. :D

Back