do new games suck or am I cynical?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by THRESHIN, Mar 4, 2019.

1. muz_j

muz_j Limp Gawd

...it definitely seems to have a modern Privateer type vibe to it. Not sure if it's my sort of thing or not. I'll probably wait until it's out and read some in depth reviews, but at the least, it looks like a good blast em up space game.
    If it's got a decent duration to it, in terms of the main campaign or story, then it's probably worth having a good look at.... thanks for the heads up.

2. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

You posted useless links trying to build credibility for a clunky game that still pretty much only uses a single core, has some of the worst collision physics I've ever seen in any game, vehicle handling which is abysmal and again clunky (the sports hatch drives like it's on ice), and soldiers which become fatigued after jogging 20 meters with the gun swaying in every direction. Any military depending on Bohemia must be a joke because there is nothing complex or realistic about ARMA, it's a broken game and engine.

3. muz_j

muz_j Limp Gawd

I guess we'll agree to disagree then.
    The links I posted were two (of a very large number) that were easily available. I wasn't trying to "build credibility" as you put it - rather trying to back up my own opinion with references to reviews from other sources who seem to share similar opinions to me (eg: steam review score of 9/10, amongst many others).

The joke militaries you refer to include the following: "BS3 is a desktop tactical trainer and mission rehearsal software system in use by major military organizations including the U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps, UK MOD and others."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS3

They "must all be a joke" though - so I guess we'll just go with your opinion on that....

....fyi - again you have stated nothing objective.
    If you don't like it - just stick with Apex Legends and continue to enjoy that.

Being blunt - do you have an issue with other people liking games that you don't ?
    Or perhaps you took offense at my comment about Battle Royale style games being simplistic and repetitive ?
    ...if so - that's my opinion.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  4. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

You asked for reasons why its a clunky pos game and I gave them. I could always provide videos but since you play it already you know I'm right.

5. muz_j

muz_j Limp Gawd

Great - that's your opinion.
    Have I seen videos of people experiencing weird behaviour in Arma 3 ? - yes I have.
    But in saying that, I have never personally experienced any unusual or weird behaviour myself - like it, or not.

Putting it in context - I have also seen lots of people who have experienced weird game behaviour in other large scale open world games - eg: the elder scrolls skyrim (another highly rated open world game that various people have had faults with).
    Again I have not experienced that myself.

Your experience is quite possibly very different to mine.

You think Arma 3 is a clunky, POS game - good for you.
    I don't and lots of others don't either.
    Plenty of military users get great value from VBS 3.

The list of current game issues on the Bohemia interactive website doesn't seem to tally with your opinion. https://dev.arma3.com/known-issues
    Large scale open world games are inherently more difficult to develop and deliver than smaller, more focused games.

....so your opinion is again - just that. You're not going to convince me that Arma 3 is a POS clunky game, when I have played it a lot and I have never experienced the issues that you or others have. It may be a problem for you or some other random person, but if it isn't a problem for me, then frankly I couldn't care less - it's not relevant to my own experience.

I'm not attacking you personally, just saying plenty of people enjoy it for what it is and don't have issues with it. That should be objectively obvious from reading reviews (take your pick of where you source them).

Enjoy your day.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  6. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Epic Games Store exclusive :yuck:.

J3RK likes this.
  7. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I read that the next game by Heart Machine (the Hyper Light Drifter studio) maybe put their new game (which looks quite cool) on Epic as a possible exclusive. I nearly vomited all over my keyboard. I don't care if they put it on Epic, but if it's neither on Steam nor GOG, I just won't buy it. Which is sad, because not only do I own multiple copies, I've also bought HLD for friends, and talk it up all over the place. Why?

Armenius likes this.
  8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Going by the recent Phoenix Point revelation it would appear that Epic is handing out insane amounts of money for these exclusivity deals. If you missed it, a person representing the Phoenix Point team implied that if all their backers and preorders were refunded that they would still be in the black.

J3RK likes this.
  9. ibex333

ibex333 Gawd

I am 37 years old, and YES. Games DO suck these days. They are just not the same. They have no heart and soul like games of old. There's virtually no story, and everything is very multiplayer/clan/team/friends oriented.

Many people will say.. "You're a loser!" "Get some frigging friends!" "It's your fault you don't have any, because you are an unpleasant person."

Without getting into long discussions about psychology, society in general, individual matters, circumstances, etc, let me assure you that there are in fact very legitimate and valid reasons, why many people, including myself have absolutely no friends, and no interest in multiplayer games whatsoever. There's also no reason why such people should be completely ignored and neglected by developers. Yet, this is exactly what is happening.

Gone are the days of Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, C&C generals. No such thing as STALKER fps/rpg hybrid anymore. Starcraft II was noting like the original. The story is shallow and lame. It's all about soulless garbage like Sins of Solar Empire now.

Mindless zombie drones have spoken. Everyone wants Battle Royale now. More PUBG! More Fortnite! More Apex Legends! Give us Call of Duty! Give us Battlefield! Give us Anthem and Destiny!

Yet again, as you can see, it's all about FPS/Team/multiplayer. No one really cares about RPG, Strategy, etc etc.

There are rare exceptions such as Pillars of Ethernity, Metro Exodus and the long in the tooth Dawn of War/Company of Heroes. But htose are too few and far in between.

People like me are going away like the dinosaurs, and perhaps that's fine. It forces me to pay more attention to real life and actually LIVING instead of living to play.

memnoch998, Rattle and That_Sound_Guy like this.
  10. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

I am 39 years old, my first FPS really was Delta Force 2, after that it was all Unreal 99' and Quake and such. We grew up in a time where it seemed like almost all games were new and exciting and were evolving so quickly and each had something different to offer. Now it seems, as noted, a lot of recycled crap. I play Team Fortress 2, go back to CS now and then and quake. I find it hard to get into newer games especially when they all come out with DLC already there to buy....

11. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah... I understand that side of the motivation. I'm more pissed at Epic for making this kind of deal attractive to devs that would otherwise be happy to release on all available platforms.

12. jordan12

jordan12 [H]ardForum Junkie

I am glad I found this thread. I am 46 and been divorced for almost a year now. I used to play games a lot. Late into Friday and Saturday nights. Group gaming with friends and chatting at the same time. I was big into playing WOT for the most part.

But over the last 2-3 years, I am happy sitting in my recliner, and I watch TV shows or movies. I just don't have the excitement to play games at all anymore. I load up WOT's rarely, but play 4-5 games and then I'm done again. My friends and myself have asked me more than once what happened..And I have no answer. :-(

Bottom line, I miss it. But not enough to actually play anymore.

LightsOut41 and Burticus like this.
  13. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Have you tried some other types of games, or indies? I don't really enjoy sitting in my work-room / studio to play games that often anymore. If there's a compelling enough shooter (I'm thinking RAGE 2, Doom Eternal, etc.) then I'll do it, but otherwise I play 95% of my games in the living room on the couch or (in the case of the Switch) in bed even. (I also have a Shield TV on a 50" screen in my bedroom, so I can stream games from my game PCs to it if I want as well.)

Building a good quality living room PC was one of the best things I ever did. I play a slightly different type of game on it, but it's tip-top. I mainly play indie games, big RPGs, fighting games, or emulated classics on it, because those all play well using a game pad.

The thing is though, I don't really like watching TV that much. I have to be at least partially involved, so playing games, but still being able to lounge, is pretty nice.

Could be that you're just plain not into it anymore which is cool, but I find that having that other option for playing games in a completely different way makes playing more fun, and less of a continuation of sitting at my desk at work. Just a thought anyway. Plus many indie games are like higher quality versions of classic games, which is kinda cool.

Armenius and Burticus like this.
  14. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the link. That looks like it might be fun.

15. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Yeah I find myself thinking about gaming more than actual gaming. And always adding to the never ending backlog of games I'll never play. And sometimes when I do get off my ass and actually try to play something... oh noes here comes 10gb of patches to download.... :( Destiny is fucking infamous for this.

Was joking with the Mrs that if I retired tomorrow I have enough games to keep me busy for the next 10+ years.

16. spine

spine 2[H]4U

It's funny, but I was just about getting to this same point myself, but Apex Legends came along and has re-invigorated my gaming again. Age 38 here.

Titanfall was the last game before this that 'woke me up' again, so to speak. I hope Respawn stay around for a good long while because I can see them soaking up all the old BF gamers and alike who remember when gaming was truly innovative and exciting.

5150Joker and horrorshow like this.
  17. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

KRHY.gif

spine likes this.
  18. jordan12

jordan12 [H]ardForum Junkie

I had a friend who forced me to play Anthem with him this weekend. It was an ok game, but was repetitive. And only played 2 hours saturday. He asked me to play yesterday and I told him I was happy sitting in my recliner.

19. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm actually looking for someone to play this with :)

20. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

I just tried Earth Defense 4 and that was an odd experience. Goofy but fun.

21. Dodge245

Dodge245 Limp Gawd

I can also recommend Celeste, its a very difficult platformer, it feels fresh, has great music and an underlying story that is well told.

22. TED

TED Gawd

Morrowind, one of my favorites, is free today on the bethesda launcher and store with code TES25TH-MORROWIND

23. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

After reading the posts here I'm starting to see a bit of a trend with respect to age groups. I'm not really that surprised, but its interesting.

I did try prey and have to say its a pretty good game. But that was all for me, just good and nothing more. It got a little boring but not terribly so. I stopped for a while and then my son was born. All bets are off at that point.

I do have to say it holds up well, but it really doesn't compete with the likes of BioShock or system shock. I don't hold that against it, that is some tough competition.

ChoGGi likes this.