Do native 120hz TVs work as 120hz monitors?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
This is a purely academic question as I'm not yet thinking of upgrading my TV-as-monitor, but I figured it's a question worth asking.

Notice I'm not talking about TVs that do 120hz through interpolation of black frames. I'm talking about native 120hz TV panels such as this one. The details clearly state that 120hz is native and interpolation framerate is 600 (which is complete and utter bullpucky).

Am I wrong in assuming that such a panel would allow the user up to 120hz when used as a monitor?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as it have 120hz input then it can do 120hz. TV that make low refresh rate content to 120hz through interpolation uses 120hz panel afaik.

Correct me if I am wrong

Panels are one thing, but the TV's electronics are another. Might be a good question to address to LG themselves.

Yes you are wrong. Most of 120 Hz tvs don't accept 120 Hz signal, some of them might but sometimes only at 720p.

Depends on model

The manual doesn't really say anything about it and its also HDMI
So the chances of it actually being 120hz are slim

There are a few HDTVs that actually take 120hz input though
I don't know the exact models because they're not available where I live

I attempted this with the EDID method without any success on my ~2011/2012 model Samsung UN46D6050TFZA :( Which from my readings, should be a 120Hz model since it has the 240CMR (my understanding is those buzzword rates are double their actual refresh)
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46D6050TFXZA-specs

Since I really would love to get this to work I think I'll give Powerstrip a go this time... :)

I only tried 120Hz @ various res through HDMI, and to be fair, through a 15 footer at that. Whether or not that was enough to degrade 120Hz... *shrug* Unfortunately mine only has HDMI and VGA :\ I also have the TV set to "PC" on the input (which is actually more than just a helpful input label on the Source menu, it really does put it into a PC mode by disabling a shitload of features to get the least amount of refresh and input lag).

GL to you all though!

I attempted this with the EDID method without any success on my ~2011/2012 model Samsung UN46D6050TFZA :( Which from my readings, should be a 120Hz model since it has the 240CMR (my understanding is those buzzword rates are double their actual refresh)
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46D6050TFXZA-specs

Since I really would love to get this to work I think I'll give Powerstrip a go this time... :)

I only tried 120Hz @ various res through HDMI, and to be fair, through a 15 footer at that. Whether or not that was enough to degrade 120Hz... *shrug* Unfortunately mine only has HDMI and VGA :\ I also have the TV set to "PC" on the input (which is actually more than just a helpful input label on the Source menu, it really does put it into a PC mode by disabling a shitload of features to get the least amount of refresh and input lag).

GL to you all though!

The CMR could be 2-8x the actual refresh rate of the TV. They use a combination of interpolation and backlight strobing to get a bullshit number that means nothing at all.

From what I've heard, some of the 60hz input 4k TV's can accept a 120hz input at 1080p resolution. 3840x2160 divides by 1920x1080 cleanly so if the pixel doubling is good on the tv it should do it cleanly without getting muddied like a typical non-native resolution would. A pc gaming monitor would have different overdrive implementation vs blur and a lot less input lag than a tv though (and now other things like g-sync/variable hz). http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

Last edited:
Back