Do most gamers use with wired or wireless mice?

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
I love my MX3200 wireless set but the wireless lag is getting annoying. I've noticed quite a bit of interference when I have my headphones plugged into my speaker and the (short) wire hangs above the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's the lag from the wireless connection or what but precision in general just seems to be more difficult. Our work PC's have the old standard Dell ball-style mice and they're night-and-day better then my home MX3200 mouse. I could really notice the difference when I tried to play Rings at Ninja Kiwi at home and work. I can manuver much quicker and more precise with the old wired ball mouse. Will I be better off getting a wired mouse at home for gaming? Like an MX518? Would a bluetooth set be any better?

Do most gamers use wired or wireless mice?

Mx518 is a kick ass mouse im using a Logitech G5 (Second version wired) and its just a good but i still miss my Mx518. Bluetooth would be better i think than the IR Wireless but i would still do wired if you can.

Wired all the way. I've heard some people lately say that wireless has gotten better, but if you're noticing a difference, you'll LOVE the feel of a nice gaming mouse. Regardless of how good wireless may have gotten, wired will always be better.

On top of that, the "braided" cord or whatever on my g5 doesnt bother me at all. I never feel it pull unless I get it wedged in between the desk/wall which is easily avoidable. It's just really lightweight so it almost feels like it isn't there.

I've been using the Microsoft Sidewinder X8. It can switch between wired and wireless when charging. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I play quite a lot of MW2, Dead Space, Bioshock 2 lately and there has been no noticeable lag. This mouse uses blue track technology, don't know if it is really better than laser but the specs sound good and i've had no problems lately. I think the Sidewinder X8 is a cheaper version of the one mouse by Razer that has a similar charging setup.

Is that the major complaint of the wireless proponents, the snagging of the wire? I could never recommend gaming with a wireless mouse unless the physical layout of your gaming area prohibits it completely. I don't see why you would introduce the factors of battery life, signal integrity, or possible lag (depending on model of course) if you don't have to. I do admit I haven't gamed on newer generation wireless mice but the last wireless keyboard/mouse combo I used wasn't horrible but compared to its wired counterparts, was a definite leap back.

You should never use the wireless mouse/keyboard to game. Lag is terrible and I think it is due to the two devices slightly interfering with each other. I've bought these combos in the past and they have never worked right out of the box. On the other hand, I've bought two wireless mice and both still work (one after 2 years, the other 8 months), one for gaming and one for work.

Im using a Microsoft Wireless Laser 5000 mouse and love it. I play pretty much all FPS and I notice no lag at all.

Battery life? I got this mouse in July. Stuck a set of Duracel AA batteries in there and THEYRE STILL THERE! Swear to God! I get 1-3 hours usage daily on it.

As for signal interruptions, I place the receiver right above the mouse on the desk and in 7 months, Ive never had the signal interrupted while playing a game.

Precision is pretty solid. I cant testify too much on that because this isnt a high resolution mouse but Ive never had any issues with it. Like I said, I play FPS exclusively and sniping in Crysis is pretty accurate.

I used to swear on wired mice and this is the only wireless mouse Ive used so I cant speak to them all, but if they all work as well as this one, Ill never go wired again. I would say if youre using a Sparkomatic wireless mouse you bought at Walmart for $9.99, then youre not going to enjoy it much. However, if you spend $40+ on a quality made wireless mouse, Id be willing to bet you wouldnt notice a difference other than no cord tugging at your mouse.

However, if you spend $40+ on a quality made wireless mouse, Id be willing to bet you wouldnt notice a difference other than no cord tugging at your mouse.

So that is the complaint for wireless because I think it would look ridiculous to the trained eye to see a wireless mouse with the receiver for it 10 inches away. I guess you could have something there but as was stated before, I have never had a problem with any of my wired mice's cords. Looks like a preference thing in the end.

where is the poll?

I use a wireless MX1000 for gaming.

So that is the complaint for wireless because I think it would look ridiculous to the trained eye to see a wireless mouse with the receiver for it 10 inches away. I guess you could have something there but as was stated before, I have never had a problem with any of my wired mice's cords. Looks like a preference thing in the end.

Yeah, thats the complaint. Having the cord tug or resist the mouse. The 2 I used before this bothered me by doing this. Granted they werent gaming mice so maybe theyre worse than normal.

As for a receiver looking ridiculous, hardly. The Microsoft receiver is bigger than others Ive seen but it doesnt bother me sitting on my desk at all........however my desk is usually trashed so I wouldnt notice a stack of $100 bills either. :D

Wow, thanks for the great input guys! My "case for wireless" has always been to cut down on the number wires that I have to manage behind the desk. Plus the wires become increasingly annoying when you have a sliding keyboard tray also. The MX3200 is a couple years old now and I can't even remember the last time I replaced any of the batteries. Because I do most of my gaming on weekends I'll probably just keep the MX3200 set and buy a separate wired mouse I can plug in and use when I actually get some free time...

I plug in my wireless logitech mice as I would any corded mice.
The only difference is that I have to change batteries every now and then, but then again you can get a 20-pack of duracells for like $12.

I'm using a wired Sidewinder x5. I think it's pretty good. It was a steal for $25 on Amazon. I'd definitely go with wired over wireless for the best possible performance. If you do want a decent wireless gaming mouse, I've heard the Sidewinder x8 is a good buy, but don't quote me on that.

I've had a Logitech VX Revolution wireless mouse for years. I've gamed a lot with it and have never had a problem. My college roommate had a Logitech G5 (wired) and we had this discussion multiple times. He would never use a wireless mouse but I could not see a response time difference between his and mine.

I've never really had trouble with interference either. I have a USB hub under my monitor and just plug the little receiver in there, so it's never far from the mouse. I had some trouble when I was using it with a HTPC, but I was between 10 and 15 feet away from the receiver.

As for the battery, my mouse takes one AA. I replace it probably once every three months. I keep a four pack of batteries in my center desk drawer and it lasts me the better part of a year even with the mouse left on 24/7. I game for probably 2 hours a day on average. Add into that school work, browsing, working, etc. and you have a lot of time using that mouse.

I guess for me it seems to come down to personal preference. Really if you think the possible millisecond of lag got you killed, you probably would have been killed anyway. I personally like the freedom of wireless and more importantly the feel of my mouse.

I guess I really don't know if it's a lag issue or not. Maybe it's because the old small ball mouse at work can be moved with the fingers (like a notebook mouse) where the larger MX3200 mouse is larger and required the whole hand to move. I use AutoCAD daily at work and just find it very easy to make sharp fast accurate movements with that old mouse and it's much more difficult to perform the same tasks as quickly and accurately with the larger wireless mouse.

Try playing Rings and you'll see what I mean when you get past the 140,000 point range. You have to start dragging and dropping quickly and I simply can't do it at home half as easily as I can at work with the old mouse. I suppose there could be a million other factors in play here so it's probably a pretty irrelevant point...

I use a G7 with a wired keyboard. I play a lot of FPS and don't notice lag, but it might just be me.

definitely wireless
all the posters chirping about "wireless lag" are just rehashing outdated arguments from YEARS ago
there's no lag with modern wireless mice
i don't know how wired mice users do it - with the cord getting jammed up and tangled everywhere

Just came from a MX Revolution to a G9x. In this particular comparison I would say my new wired mouse is waaaay more precise. I also own a MX1000 and it feels laggy by comparison as well.

Just came from a MX Revolution to a G9x. In this particular comparison I would say my new wired mouse is waaaay more precise. I also own a MX1000 and it feels laggy by comparison as well.

I used to own the vx-revolution and there was absolutely no lag at all. Are you sure it wasn't just skippy-tracking? The vx had pretty mediocre tracking on quite a lot of the surfaces I've tried, but it certainly wasn't lag! (fwiw, the darkfield tracking on the new mice is infinitely better)

I use a 7 for gaming and a Razer Copperhead as a backup. I like wireless much better but my first G7 keeps disconnecting which made me dig out my Copperhead to use when that happens. The replacement Logitech sent me has been perfect though. Can't go back to wired mouse after using wireless.

I just upgraded from an Mx400 to an Mx518 and the 518 is awesome! I've been gaming for about 12 years or so and have always used wired mice.

i've always preferred a wired mouse.

right now i'm running a g5 that i'm rma-ing, and logitech is sending me a g500.

I've been using my wireless mice for gaming since my MX 700 (which was replaced by an LX pos mouse/keyboard, which I replaced with an MX1000, and now I'm using an MX Revolution). I play FPS, and I'm normally an above average player in any given game, and I don't think I can tell a difference in lag between a good wireless mouse and a good wired mouse.

why not have both? using the mamba and loving it (after having 4 different G5 variations (mx100, mx300, wireless version, G5..retired to my wife's rig)

wireless for sure, as cyclone mentioned, the "lag" was years ago, most modern mice's have little to no lag. plus its more convenient :)

I go for the wired myself, now adays it's a matter of choice. I just bought the G500 and it ROCKS! That replaced my old MX 518. If I where you, decide what one you like the most, then go to Newegg and read the reviews on it. These gadgets for the pc are not cheap, so do your homework. I recomend a G500 , but that me you might want the wireless and thats that. Frag ya later no matter what you pick.

Although modern wireless mice do not have much lag, stereotypical though that gaming mouse should be wired haunts me all the time. So, I'm always using wired for gaming :).

a part from not having a wire on the desk I've never seen the point of a wireless mouse (for a desktop computer, HTPC other story). It's not like I'm going to use it away from my desk.

So for gaming I've always gone with wired mices.

Went from MX518 to MX Revolution back to my MX518. I definitely noticed a "wireless lag". I liked that mouse too...

I also have a MX3200 and it is pretty bad. Trying to use it on anything other then a solid non glossy surface is a lesson is futility. Lag is horrible. Range is horrible. I have it maybe 1 foot away and it has trouble picking up clicks. I just ordered Sidewinder x8 to replace it. I use wireless for free range of motion and less wire clutter. One less wire to tangle it self in the knot behind my desk

Logitech G5 on a Roccat Taito cloth mousemat.
I might aswell be using a wireless mouse, because I destressed the cable getting all the kinks out of it and then suspended it four inches off of the table by routing it through the cable management at the back of my monitor... can't feel any wire, feels perfect.

i use the Logitech MX5500 wireless set up and i dont have any lag that i can notice.

i was always worried about lag, this is my first wireless set up and i haven't had any issues and the computer is about 5 feet way.

My policy is to not use wireless anything unless I need it since there's always a trade off. I have no reason to go wireless since the cord rarely bothers me and I'm always using it while sitting at a desk.

Untill now i didnt know that any gamer would ever wanted to use wireless mouse... If u use wireless try good wired one and u never buy wireless mouse. I personaly cant even imagine to play CS-S with wireless mouse.

Think about this: Why hasn't Razer produced more products using their uber 1ms wireless tech? Even their xbox360 controller is wired when MS provides a wireless one.

Trust me, there is nothing more frustrating than knowing you would have had the kill if that stupid Mamba didn't lock up due to interference. This is one of the major pains with wireless.

I personally notice a difference between the 2 (aside from interference...that everyone notices). Movement feels jerkier and the lag is sometimes apparent.

I think wired is the way to go for any game where mouse positioning is important (ie FPS). If you do not play these type of games, it doesn't matter.

Has anyone ever seen a professional player using a wireless mouse during a competition?

Back