Do Mechanical keyboards really improve gaming performance?

hdgamer

Gawd
I'm pretty happy with my Logitech G15 and G510 keyboards, however I just picked up Battlefield and SWTOR and I noticed I'm getting some slight hand fatigue from mashing the buttons. Do mechanical keyboards help remedy this? Does it really make the gaming experience that much easier? Is it a night and day difference? Was looking at the Corsair K90 if I were to pick one up because of the Wrist rest and the lighting with the multi-media functions on it as well.

In your case...possibly. Are the keys on your Logitechs just really hard to press, thus giving you fatigue?

I've used traditional (rubber dome keyboards) for most of my gaming years and haven't noticed much difference after switching to mechanical (Cherry Blues and Browns). The biggest difference came in the form of typing imo, the whole "better for gaming" is either a gimmick or is just something I've never noticed. I'm an FPS and RTS player so pretty similar experience to you.

I've used traditional (rubber dome keyboards) for most of my gaming years and haven't noticed much difference after switching to mechanical (Cherry Blues and Browns). The biggest difference came in the form of typing imo, the whole "better for gaming" is either a gimmick or is just something I've never noticed. I'm an FPS and RTS player so pretty similar experience to you.

That's because blues are specifically meant for typing, not gaming, and browns are a kind of a compromise between both. The cherry blacks are considered the purely gaming ones. I have them in my déck, it's great but a bit noisy.

Mechanical keyboards themselves don't provide any benefit. It solely depends on what you're comfortable with. If your current keyboard is uncomfortable for you over long periods, replace it with something that is comfortable. End of story.

Anyone saying "X component provides a distinct advantage" is generally either a clueless, ignorant moron or someone blowing smoke up your ass so you'll buy their product.

Mechanical keyboards are all about feel. Mechanical keyboards feel better to type on it terms of the key presses. They aren't going to stop hurting your wrists or anything if you have that problem with any other keyboard. They also won't do crap for your gaming performance. Again it's about the typing experience. Or in this case the gaming experience. It's honestly a small thing, but to some of us it's major. It doesn't matter to me for gaming, but for typing, it makes a world of difference. I can't stand the way membrane based units feel. Also mechanical keyboards should outlast their membrane counterparts. So while they are typically 2 to 3 times more expensive, they'll probably last 5x longer.

Something to think about.

Mechanical keyboards give you no advantage. Many times the angle of your arms & hands when reaching your keyboard give you the "fatigue" you mentioned. Sometimes just adjusting your chair height & arm rests can help. Or adjusting your keyboard legs & trying a wrist rest.

The keypress will feel more sure and solid.
Like the space bar, when jumping on a membrane board, sometimes the stroke wouldn't register because I pressed the key too light. But on a mech board, the keystrokes register with little force.
For my use, mech boards have more responsive keystrokes.Instead of pressing every key with force on a membrane board, the same keys can be lightly touched and still register, increasing speed and responsiveness.
Fatigue still depends on your posture like others have said. I have a Ikea Galant and it allows me to rest my elbows on the desk, which is extremely comfortable for long gaming or typing sessions.

If you do decide to buy a mechanical board, start with Cherry MX Brown switches. If you want the lightest switch force, try Cherry MX Reds.

I don't know if they give you an advantage but they definitely feel better to the touch.

The keypress will feel more sure and solid.
Like the space bar, when jumping on a membrane board, sometimes the stroke wouldn't register because I pressed the key too light. But on a mech board, the keystrokes register with little force.
For my use, mech boards have more responsive keystrokes.Instead of pressing every key with force on a membrane board, the same keys can be lightly touched and still register, increasing speed and responsiveness.
Fatigue still depends on your posture like others have said. I have a Ikea Galant and it allows me to rest my elbows on the desk, which is extremely comfortable for long gaming or typing sessions.

If you do decide to buy a mechanical board, start with Cherry MX Brown switches. If you want the lightest switch force, try Cherry MX Reds.

I finally tried some Cherry MX Reds at the HardOCP event a couple weeks ago. They almost felt too light to me. I think I prefer Cherry MX Blacks over them. I definitely still prefer the blues as I find that works best for typing in my opinion. (For me anyway.) I guess I've spent too much time with Cherry MX Black, Brown and Blue switches and as a result I've become so used to them I can't fully appreciate the reds.

If you are getting finger fatigue while playing game, then I suggest getting some exercise. I'm SERIOUS! Before I joined the US Army, I was a little pudgy. After spending all that time in the front leaning rest "Push up" position, my figures never got tired from typing after that! Those 9 weeks of basic and regular exercise after that has sharpen not only my body and mind, but how quickly I thought too. What to be a better gamer, get some physical exercise.

Last edited:
Personal preference. I like typing on mechanicals, but for gaming, it's always my old low profile $30 keyboard, because of the low action and the feel of the keys. Use what feels right, just going for a generic answer is possibly not the best.

Also mechanical keyboards should outlast their membrane counterparts. So while they are typically 2 to 3 times more expensive, they'll probably last 5x longer.

Something to think about.

I had been recommending a few different people mechanical keyboards...but there's been a problem in all the cases. While the switches will probably last for a long time, inside the $100, $200+ keyboard seems to be the same crappy PCB as every other $15 keyboard. Which seems to tend to be a geater point of failure, long before any switches of any kind would have began to go bad. With a cheap keyboard this wouldn't have been so bad, because you can just get another, but with a much bigger investment this becomes more of an issue. Still could be a run of bad luck...

Personal preference. I like typing on mechanicals, but for gaming, it's always my old low profile $30 keyboard, because of the low action and the feel of the keys. Use what feels right, just going for a generic answer is possibly not the best.

I had been recommending a few different people mechanical keyboards...but there's been a problem in all the cases. While the switches will probably last for a long time, inside the $100, $200+ keyboard seems to be the same crappy PCB as every other $15 keyboard. Which seems to tend to be a geater point of failure, long before any switches of any kind would have began to go bad. With a cheap keyboard this wouldn't have been so bad, because you can just get another, but with a much bigger investment this becomes more of an issue. Still could be a run of bad luck...

The only mechanical keyboard I've ever had problems with were the Razer's. They were pretty much just junk.

I love my DAS mech keyboard for gaming. I wouldn't say that it is better. As the other guys said, it depends on how you play. Some games that require you to slide across keys aren't as easy with a mech keyboard. The biggest complaint I get is that people can hear me typing through my mic. ;)

I suggest you try one for yourself. It will take some getting used to. I had one for a while but went back to the "inferior" membrane-type.

I use a mech KB, but don't use it much for gaming. I use a belkin n52te gamepad for all my FPS and Assassins Creed needs. =)

belkin-n52te-gallery4.jpg

Last edited:
Normally I would say no but cherry mx browns and reds are very light so they don't require much force and you don't even need to press the key all of the way down. It might help you out. I prefer typing on my boards with mx browns.

I use a mech KB, but don't use it much for gaming. I use a belkin n52te gamepad for all my FPS and Assassins Creed needs. =)

belkin-n52te-gallery4.jpg

I do the same with FPS games. For other games, like SWTOR, not necessarily.

Back when I played WoW I would use just my KB. I feel like this woulda been nice for some PVP tho. Ah well, have that game up a few years back. Too much money to spend on better things. =P

Well I ended up ordering the Corsair k90. I really wanted to try it and plus my g15 is getting old. The backlight LED's are flaking out and plus I need a keyboard with a good wrist rest. I think that's part of my problem. I do like to game in the dark so the bright backlight of the Corsair is appealing. If I do like this and it helps improve my gaming and is more comfortable, I will probably order another for the other computer room.

Back