Do M.2 drives have to be screwed down?

I know they *should* be screwed down, but does the screw serve any purpose other than holding the drive down? Does it act as a electrical ground or anything like that?

Reason I ask is because one of the M.2 posts on my mobo seems smaller than usual. The M.2 screws that came with the motherboard don't seem to fit. I can jury rig something to hold it down, but I can't guarantee that it remains in contact with the post.

I know they *should* be screwed down, but does the screw serve any purpose other than holding the drive down? Does it act as a electrical ground or anything like that?

Reason I ask is because one of the M.2 posts on my mobo seems smaller than usual. The M.2 screws that came with the motherboard don't seem to fit. I can jury rig something to hold it down, but I can't guarantee that it remains in contact with the post.

What kind of board? I'd contact the manufacturer and have them send you replacement parts, or simply swap the board if it's not correct. GL

If it flys up when that fails, it may dislodge it from the slot. Pushing it down and screwing it in is what secures it there.

I lost the screw. It doesn't sit flush again the screw post for some reason, which I don't love, but so far no problem (about a year)

Stolen from another site:
"The correct screw size is 2.0 x 3mm (CM2x3-3.3).

If you are in the USA, then you can usually find the screws at Ace Hardware stores. Make sure you check the length. Some of the screws at hardware stores are too long.

I've also seen them available at Amazon. They were advertised as replacement screws for M.2 ssd's.

Mod DIY has them too:

http://www.moddiy.com/categories/Screws-&-Bits/M2-|-2mm-Screws-(Notebook-Screws)/"

It's not as if these are special screws you can't just pick up anywhere else.

Back