Do Inkjet printers give off any fumes when in use or not in use?

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if you have an inkjet printer less than a metre from your face, are you likely to be breathing in any fumes from the ink, when it is printing, or when it is not printing that are not entirely good for you?

I would doubt it since the inks are usually water based, however you do get solvent based inks.

You would have to see what type of ink you are using and lookup the internets for its specific ingredients.

Personally I would think the water based ones would be the safest and that you would come to no harm by sitting that close to them.

The ink should be sealed in the cartridge as well as water based. I think there is minimal risk for these types of inks...Perhaps a long time ago when dot matrix printers roamed the world and had those ink ribbons strung through them there could have been a concern. I hope not, I use to tear them apart when I was a kid.

My printer sits next to me on the desk, been there for years, never noticed any fumes or ill effects. Not even sure it'd be detectable if some form of fumes were given off while it sat there, there's such a small amount of ink in them.

Thanks for the link.

This is what it says for the yellow cartridge.

Inhalation:
No adverse effects are expected under intended use.
Over exposure to vapor or mist may cause respiratory tract irritation, cough, dizziness, drowsiness, headache
and nausea.

Inhalation:
May cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dullness, headache, nausea and vomiting.

Of course I haven't experienced any of these things (possibly dullness or drowsiness), but still very small amounts might be unnoticeable as obvious symptoms but still slightly bad for you over long term.

I moved the printer to another room and I will connect it to another pc and print via a network.

Do you have a link where I can lookup info about laser printers? Specifically a Samsung ML1660.

Last edited:
The key phrase to remember is

"No adverse effects are expected under intended use."

So long as you don't crack open the cartridges and take a sniff, I think you'll be safe with the printer next to you. It is dangerous only in "overexposure"... Like if the housing cracks and things gets everywhere.

In any case, if it can be moved and doesn't bother you, then go for it. I don't like my printer on my desk either, the vibration during printing and spooling is annoying.

Msds for Samsung goods, have a look:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...unction/supplies_accessories/MSDS/MSDS01.html

It sounds like with lasers it's only bad if you physically inhale the actual particles. But might happen if you sit next to it while it's on.

I have another ht computer in another room I could connect them all to but it would have to be on of course, how much does a cheap basic print server cost that I could plug 3 printers into?

If a printer server only has one usb port can you use a usb hub with it?

Last edited:
My searches of a multi-USB print server turns up only one "model' with various branding. None of which had good reviews. And they are not wireless, so there's that to consider. see:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...t usb print server&sprefix=4+port+usb+pri,aps

My experiences with wireless print servers were never any good (been a while since i had one though), so it might be better to avoid one that has to negotiate more than one device...

I've never tried hooking up a USB hub to a single port print server, so I cannot help there. I'm thinking it would not work.... best case is that you only can have one printer on at a time. I don't have the time and equipment to test this theory.

It sounds like spare computer is the best route, seeing how you already have it sitting around.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok thanks, I won't be using it wirelessly but wired, I should have said that.
Maybe just turning on the htpc is a better idea.

Back