Do I want a Xbox 360?

FiZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been considering buying a 360 premium lately. I own a 60" HDTV and it gets little use other than when I am at home (travel a lot). Now I haven't owned a console since I got burned on the Dreamcast (still a great system in my opinion despite its short life). I am strictly a PC gamer and for the most part I stick to FPS's.

One thing I miss about having a console is the sports games. Is there going to be enough to keep me occupied with the 360?

Edit:

Digging this thread up. I finally purchased the premium with GoW and MLB 2K7. In short I love them both and the 360 does so much more than I ever expected it to do. Any other must have games?

do yourself a favor and pick up a 360 and Gears of War....you wont regret it.

pc gamer who loves playing my 360 on my hdtv. Sports games are great, and I enjoy playing gears of war, evenas someone whoalways hated shooters on consoles due to the controls.

The sports games on the wii sound really fun. Might wanna check that out to.

You sound exactly like me...I traded a Saturn for a PS1 and haven't bought a console since. I got a 360 two weeks ago and I find that it's the perfect complement to a gaming pc...I plan to only use my pc for RTS and some FPS and the 360 will handle the rest...and looks mighty fine while doing it. :cool:

Conker said:
The sports games on the wii sound really fun. Might wanna check that out to.
I looked into it (my brother actually owns one) but the lack of HD is a huge drawback for me.

FiZ said:
I looked into it (my brother actually owns one) but the lack of HD is a huge drawback for me.

yeah, it's a killer, huh.....

i would grab one, it can do everything a PS3 can do and will give you months of enjoyment, i traded my $1500 PC for a Premium system with two wireless controllers, four games, and other extra's, and it was well worth it

alot depends on where you are in life too i think, i am now 30 and have two small children, and like to entertain friends, and nothing is more boring than having friends over to watch one person at a time try to figure out a mouse/kb in front of a 19" screen while the others watch.......

now we can all enjoy games on the couch in front of the big screen in HD quality and surround sound, it rawks

I have a 60'' HDTV aswell, and let me tell you after hooking those 5 beautiful cables up and my optical cable GoW looks absolutley AMAZING.

I was always against the 360, but for the past 5 days that I have owned it I have found something new each day that interests me.

Definatley go for it...

FiZ said:
I have been considering buying a 360 premium lately. I own a 60" HDTV and it gets little use other than when I am at home (travel a lot). Now I haven't owned a console since I got burned on the Dreamcast (still a great system in my opinion despite its short life). I am strictly a PC gamer and for the most part I stick to FPS's.

One thing I miss about having a console is the sports games. Is there going to be enough to keep me occupied with the 360?

I'm in the same boat. And after spending multiple visits in GameStop hooked to the 360, I know it's going to be my next console. I refused to buy a 360 for the longest time but GoW might be enough to sway me. At the latest, I will own one for GTA IV and Halo 3.

Besides, as a Mac user, I haven't given my favorite company from Redmond enough love lately (/sarcasm).

In all seriousness, the 360 looks like the best console in this generation. With exception of drunk gaming with the Wii, of course. I'll own a Wii for parties, a 360 for gaming.

I played the 360 on my friend's 80" projector. I liked PGR and DOA4. I thought condemned was horrible, bad controls, annoying gameplay and in the dark areas they used textures straight out of quake1 thinking you wouldn't notice. Seems like a pretty good system overall, but MS has very poor support. My friend's system got bricked by a recent update. I almost got one for dead rising(I love zombies).

Grab a X360 and Gears of War + Rainbow Six: Vegas and have a holly, jolly, holiday season.

Xbox 360 is a good console. I have had one for some time now and really enjoy it. Gears of War is of course amazing and as for right now the graphics are as good if not better than ps3. Also Xbox Live is good service. I use it as voice chat for my friends overseas and it works quite well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I am that much closer to breaking down and picking one up ;) .

I'm an huge PC gaming fan and have not been into console gaming for a while.

2 nights ago, my wife picked up the Xbox 360/GRAW bundle and some other games for a suprise and I have to say i'm impressed. The Xbox Live service is pretty good, being able to communicate to friends while playing and such makes the whole experience more enjoyable, or hearing your opponent scream in anger as you score a goal in the last minute of a Fifa 07 game.

I say, if you're thinking about it, get it. You won't regret it.

Happy 360 owner here. There's been a lot of talk about the Wii and PS3 launches, but the 360 easily has the best library and online right now... and it's easily available to boot.

I am in the same boat and about to pull the trigger on a 360 for Xmas. I would say go for it and enjoy.

Holy crap you're a 360 gamer waiting to happen.

Make the jump, thank us later. :p

I'll tell you what, out of all the consoles out right now the 360 will be the one you'll have no regrets about buying. Right now its the system that's delivering the most enjoyment for me and I've played the PS3 and Wii for at least 5 hours a piece at my buddy's, so I'm not f-boyin' it up.

i'm in the same boat as the original poster.

in the summer i got a 56" Sammy HDTV (1080p all that jazz)

i'm a HUGE PC gamer but i really am interested in getting a 360. Problem is money...especially this time of year (i'm 30...christmas presents for baby/wife/family)

i'm thinking of going to EB or Gamestop and seeing how much they will give me for my PS2 (with about 15 games), about 12 PC games i don't play anymore and a couple of PSP games.

hopefully if they give me about 250 or so i might make the plunge and use cash on the rest.

Rocketpig said:
Besides, as a Mac user, I haven't given my favorite company from Redmond enough love lately (/sarcasm).

I know atleast 3 MAC users who love their 360. The TeamXbox.com forums had a poll a few weeks back asking if you were a MAC user and how you enjoyed your 360. The results were surprising ... Apple constitchuants, all loved their 360.

The point being that the 360 is simply a quality product with great games, support, sexy design, features and longevity. Its priced comparatively compared to its competition and really is the best 'bang for your buck' console this gen.

Just wait until they drop the price, and the casual gamer begins shopping for their next gen console. :cool:

I love my 360!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything. Go get yourself one.

Just my two cents worth.

"CRASHFIRE"

I have all of them...Xbox360, PS3 and Wii. Right now the best is Xbox360. The Wii is a close second though. I would get one of these if you are looking for fun out of the box. The PS3 doesn't have anything it offers to the table until more games come out and all the features on it can be used (and all the sports games are released on it) Cant wait for Ncaa 2008 for this sucker. Should look awesome.

So right now the Xbox360 is worth it if you are looking at anything. Gears of War is hands down the GOTY for any console. So make sure if you pick one up. Get GoW. Like everyone else has been saying. And if you don't have the money like you say, look for some deals. There are some going around especially if you have a Microcenter around you for that $100 MIR.

SilverSliver said:
Is an Xbox 360 worth it if you don't have a fancy HDTV yet?

I think so...I mean it still looks as good on SDTV to me. And I upgraded to a 1080p 37'' Westinghouse after playing with it for a month on my SDTV. I think I could go back to my 22'' SDTV and still be ok with it.

nobody_here said:
yeah, it's a killer, huh.....

i would grab one, it can do everything a PS3 can do and will give you months of enjoyment, i traded my $1500 PC for a Premium system with two wireless controllers, four games, and other extra's, and it was well worth it

alot depends on where you are in life too i think, i am now 30 and have two small children, and like to entertain friends, and nothing is more boring than having friends over to watch one person at a time try to figure out a mouse/kb in front of a 19" screen while the others watch.......

now we can all enjoy games on the couch in front of the big screen in HD quality and surround sound, it rawks

qft...even though im 16 :p

SilverSliver said:
Is an Xbox 360 worth it if you don't have a fancy HDTV yet?

Yes, because it really comes down to the games. The 360 (IMO), has the best game lineup coming for the next 2 years over any competition. Thats totally subjective, but do the research and see what you find. :p

Keep in mind that graphics, textures, everything is the same between SDTVs and HDTVs, the only difference being resolution. With 480i/480p you are just limited to fewer pixels on your screen making for a less 'crisp' picture. The fun is the same between SD/HDTV.

However, once you upgrade to HDTV status, you'll never go back. In comparison do this .. set your computer monitor to 640x480 and game. Thats SDTV basically.

edit. Which brings up another option LOTS of gamers are doing who don't own HDTVs. Buy the MS VGA adapter and hook the 360 up to your computer monitor which DOES support HD resolutions and game in HD that way :D

Bowhuntr11 said:
I think so...I mean it still looks as good on SDTV to me. And I upgraded to a 1080p 37'' Westinghouse after playing with it for a month on my SDTV. I think I could go back to my 22'' SDTV and still be ok with it.

not me, i took it to my brother in laws place, we hooked it up to his 27" SDTV, and although it looked better than his PS2 by far, it certainly did not impress anywhere near running it on my HDTV, and yes, i had it configured correctly, switch on cable as well as dashboard settings

maybe you had yours hooked up via component to the SDTV, his TV only had composite connections

the combination of a solid game lineup and comprehensive online play that's easy to use makes the 360 a no-brainer right now. i <3 my 360.

yes, buy it, now :) I sold my gaming rig for 2 grand a month ago, sprung for a HD TV, 360 Premium and yea, it was a very good trade off. I am and always will be a PC Gamer, but 360 has a lot of fun to offer anyone. I plan on building a new gaming rig when the R600 and Nvidia refreshes come out, but for now, i'm going to enjoy my 360

nobody_here said:
not me, i took it to my brother in laws place, we hooked it up to his 27" SDTV, and although it looked better than his PS2 by far, it certainly did not impress anywhere near running it on my HDTV, and yes, i had it configured correctly, switch on cable as well as dashboard settings

maybe you had yours hooked up via component to the SDTV, his TV only had composite connections

Im not saying it was the same...just that it was ok. Its not like HDTV by any means...but I mean it would still be ok if I was playing on it though. And I only had it hooked up composite.

Bowhuntr11 said:
Im not saying it was the same...just that it was ok. Its not like HDTV by any means...but I mean it would still be ok if I was playing on it though. And I only had it hooked up composite.

i guess i am just spoiled on HD :D

lost0822 said:
i'm in the same boat as the original poster.

in the summer i got a 56" Sammy HDTV (1080p all that jazz)

i'm a HUGE PC gamer but i really am interested in getting a 360. Problem is money...especially this time of year (i'm 30...christmas presents for baby/wife/family)

i'm thinking of going to EB or Gamestop and seeing how much they will give me for my PS2 (with about 15 games), about 12 PC games i don't play anymore and a couple of PSP games.

hopefully if they give me about 250 or so i might make the plunge and use cash on the rest.
If you Ebay all that stuff you'll probably get enough to pay for the 360 outright....EB/Gamestop doesn't buy pc games iirc..

I don't see a need to wait for either of the newcomers to this gen of consoles. The Wii is great, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't live with it as my primary console.

Reasons for the 360:
-The xbox 360 is here now AND in-stock, with a solid library of games which are expanding daily, the graphics are arguably as good as PS3's at the moment. The difference if any is far from night and day at this point, and I have a feeling for a while down the road.

-I have a feeling Xbox Live can not be overtaken. It's just freaking sweet.

-Halo 3 (even if you're not a fan of the Halo series, the millions of people that do buy the game help the general cause of the Xbox 360, they most definitely increase it's staying power). When that sucker comes out it's going to be pretty much mass hysteria all over again.

-It has this holidays killer app to date Gears Of War.

-There have been some great bundle deals on the system recently, and places like Dell have been cutting $50 or 60 off the premium system.

-Developers, developers, developers, developers. (if you get/remember this you get +10 nerd points)

-Availability

My advice is just get the 360, and when the graphics begin to piss you off down the road and the PS3 is still looking good and cheaper than it is now, consider it.

QuimZ said:
My advice is just get the 360, and when the graphics begin to piss you off down the road and the PS3 is still looking good and cheaper than it is now, consider it.
After reading a fairly indepth (and impartial) technical article comparing the PS3 to the 360 I don't think there is going to be much if any difference at all on the graphics front. In fact there are some who believe the ATI gpu in the 360 is actually superior to the Nvidia in the PS3...Blu-ray may hold more data than HD-DVD but it does nothing to improve graphics.

I just got a 360 two weeks ago. I am now enjoying a massive backlog of great games that I want to play thorough, not to mention all the arcade games I want to play as well. I think its a great system.

As an owner of both 360 and Wii, as well as a 61" HDTV, I'll tell you Wii is far more fun than 360, but that you also can't go wrong with 360 now that Gears of War and other AAA titles are out. For sports games, I expect that Wii will *always* be superior to 360 or PS3.

I do recommend HIGHLY, however, that you buy it at a Costco, Sam's Club or other place that will let you exchange it *Directly* when/if it dies. You do NOT want to deal with the support company MS hired to handle 360 support.

well over the weekend i took my PS2 about 20 some games and some PSP games and traded them in a EB Games.

got 290 worth of store credit! I was thrilled. I chose though to wait till they day after Christmas to get my 360 thought cause my wife and my parents are going to get me gift certificates to EB/Gamestop. So at that point i'll go buy it and get whatever games i want instead of paying out of pocket right now.....can't stand this wait though.

Questions?

With my HL-S5687 Samsung DLP HDTV what connections should i use...component or VGA? If VGA....where do i get those cables or will any standard VGA cables work fine?

Also.....i plan on hooking up to Xbox live obviously....what do i need for that besides a Ethernet Cable? anything?

1. go componant. much better visual quality.
2. might want to spring for the wireless adapter for the 360 unless your internet connection is pretty close to the 360.

other than that, you're all set. consider the quick-charge kit for the 360 as well if you're going to find yourself playing pretty frequently. the kit comes with a rechargable battery and charges them from empty to full much faster than the controller does.

Back