Do I want a Xbox 360?

lost0822 said:
well over the weekend i took my PS2 about 20 some games and some PSP games and traded them in a EB Games.

got 290 worth of store credit! I was thrilled. I chose though to wait till they day after Christmas to get my 360 thought cause my wife and my parents are going to get me gift certificates to EB/Gamestop. So at that point i'll go buy it and get whatever games i want instead of paying out of pocket right now.....can't stand this wait though.

Questions?

With my HL-S5687 Samsung DLP HDTV what connections should i use...component or VGA? If VGA....where do i get those cables or will any standard VGA cables work fine?

Also.....i plan on hooking up to Xbox live obviously....what do i need for that besides a Ethernet Cable? anything?

it comes with an ethernet cable in the premium system package i think, but other than that you just need to hook it to your modem or router, you can grab 13 month XBL Gold prepaid cards off of ebay for like $32 these days, much much cheaper than in the stores

you will need to purchase the Xbox VGA cable, it has the proprietart connector on one end that hooks to the back of the console, any old VGA cable will not work, just make sure your TV has a VGA input first of course

i was thinking wireless....but no quite sure the modem i have from Verizon (FIOS) puts out a strong enough wireless signal.

i'm thinking i might just run a really long ethernet cable from my living room floor, thru the floor......along the basement and back up thru the floor to the back of the modem...which is on the other side of the house.....is that a bad idea or does'nt it really matter?

lost0822 said:
i'm thinking i might just run a really long ethernet cable from my living room floor, thru the floor......along the basement and back up thru the floor to the back of the modem...which is on the other side of the house.....is that a bad idea or does'nt it really matter?
Ethernet cable should support that just fine, unless you live in an absolutely huge house.

I assume you have a router/modem combo, yes?

erwos said:
Ethernet cable should support that just fine, unless you live in an absolutely huge house.

I assume you have a router/modem combo, yes?

lol..no mansion here...standard size house......it's not that far of a run.

i'm assuming it is a router/modem combo...it's from Verizon. I looked on the back of it yesterday and there are 3 other ports just like the one my comp is plugged into that are open for use....my comp is plugged into number 1...and there is a 2, 3 and 4....all of them have that little computer symbol on them.

Well after reading this thread I think I'm finally going to make the leap and get a 360 this Christmas.

The only thing I'm worried about is the system bricking. The room I'm going to be playing in is definitely not warm (ie no heat) so I think that should handle the heat issue but I'm just worried is there any other problems with the system?

Dude...Why are you worried? Do you worry about this with every purchase you make? I mean if it had problems of being a problem console I would understand. You just seem paranoid....

mcatrage said:
Well after reading this thread I think I'm finally going to make the leap and get a 360 this Christmas.

The only thing I'm worried about is the system bricking. The room I'm going to be playing in is definitely not warm (ie no heat) so I think that should handle the heat issue but I'm just worried is there any other problems with the system?

I too have been considering getting an Xbox360.. i decided to go for it.. even though i have a shitty TV... cause i'm not moving into the HD age till i have a real job after college

Bowhuntr11 said:
Dude...Why are you worried? Do you worry about this with every purchase you make? I mean if it had problems of being a problem console I would understand. You just seem paranoid....

I guess I'm paranoid but I can blame it on visiting sites like Digg which point out all the flaws of any system that isn't the Wii. So I sort of heard a lot of stories of the 360 bricking.

I just got one as well.

Of course, I neglected to get any games, but that's beside the point. :D

get the 1 or 2 year extension plan if for whatever reason you are worried. If the box has an issue it will happen before its first birthday (usually from what i have seen/experienced). After that you are home free.

mcatrage said:
I guess I'm paranoid but I can blame it on visiting sites like Digg which point out all the flaws of any system that isn't the Wii. So I sort of heard a lot of stories of the 360 bricking.

I would be paranoid too, I bought mine in march and my friend bought one a week later.

Mine died a two weeks ago, and my friends died a week later. My replacement console was sent to me last tuesday, and it died 24 hours later.

At least buy the extended warranty, I should have seeing just by looking at all the problems they had with the launch systems.

independantvariable said:
I would be paranoid too, I bought mine in march and my friend bought one a week later.

Mine died a two weeks ago, and my friends died a week later. My replacement console was sent to me last tuesday, and it died 24 hours later.

At least buy the extended warranty, I should have seeing just by looking at all the problems they had with the launch systems.

i dont understand where all these failures are coming from, i mean, i have read up on all the claims, but it just seems to me like alot of people are not taking good care of their systems, something simple like not keeping the room cool enough could cause these failures, i have had one since Jan-Feb 06 and it hasnt had a problem

independantvariable said:

My understanding is that the 360's manufactured now should have a much lower defect rate than the first couple of production runs. The first run was atrocious and MS even publicly announced that the defect rate was higher than their originally claims of 3-5% which they felt "in-line with industry standards". That was when they extended the warranty for the pre-November 2005 systems to 1 year from 3 months.

The problem I have with extended warranties is the responsibility that manufacturers are putting on the consumer to protect their investment. The manufacturer should really be the one responsible for guaranteeing the quality of their product. If Apple can boast a < 1% defect rate for all their products including their computers, why can't MS do that for their 360? Both are closed architecture hardware and software. I can see the bleak day when manufacturers produce such piss-poor quality that you need to buy extended warantee for batteries.

mcatrage said:

I have 3 supposedly high risk electronic items...Dell 2007FPW, Plasma Tv and an Xbox 360 and I haven't had even a peep of trouble out of any of them. Of course the Dell is second generation, the plasma is 5th gen and the 360 problems have largely been fixed if you buy a new one.

Yup, gotta get one! amazing little machine! so much fun to play with friends, and if you have a big tv, i play mine on a 65" hdtv and I dont think Ill buy another computer game, all 360 all the way...

bump what? you dont have one yet? get with it man! :D

He edited his original first post:

Edit:

Digging this thread up. I finally purchased the premium with GoW and MLB 2K7. In short I love them both and the 360 does so much more than I ever expected it to do. Any other must have games?

Congrats on the purchase. I don't have many games, but I really like Rainbow Six: Vegas and Crackdown.

Housemate's Xbox360 was replaced after about a month(Drive spinning off-center). My first one was bricked in 2 weeks (2006 Fall update). The second was bricked 6 months later by the 3 red rings(common manufacturing problem, heat glue issues I believe). The 3rd is about 3 weeks old and doing alright so far.

But for what it's worth, I think if there's a physical problem with it, you'd probably find out within that first year of use. MS's warranty policy has changed to give 1 year of coverage now, so you can hold off on the extended warranty until the first year is over.

I recommend Dead Rising, Fight Night Round 3, and Crackdown.

Definitely get Crackdown...I put off buying it until last week and I haven't stopped playing it since I did. I wasn't expecting to have so much fun but just running around the city jumping from building to building to find Agility Orbs is fun as hell.

Also Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 and Rainbow Six: Vegas...oh and Dead or Alive 4 if you like fighting games.

i cannot stress enough, get connected to Live and use that free month of Gold service to download as many demos as you think you might be interested in

play the Crackdown demo, peronally, i got bored with the demo really fast and only played it like 10 minutes, it's basically GTA:VC with a twist, it was used a a launch for Halo 3, promotional kind of thing, but, if you like that kind of thing, fine

definitely download the new Forza Motorsport 2 Demo and try it out if you're into racing, also try Need For Speed Most Wanted demo, as well as PGR3 if theres a demo, those three games are pretty much all i play

again, i repeat,

1. use the Gold XBL service to download demos of any games you are thinking about and play them

2. if theres no demo and you aren't 100&#37; sure about a game, rent it first (this would have saved me a good bit o' money, bought OverGFighters new for $60 +tax, sucked hugenormously, took back 24 hours later, got $16 store credit for it with receipt and all not even a finger smudge, renting would have cost me $8 for a week)

3. never buy new games unless they have passed both above tests and no used copies of the game are available, always buy used (at least if you are buying from Gamestop/EBGames)

There must be something wrong with me, I can't get enough of Crackdown. I think I've probably played it more than any other 360 game. I have two more agility orbs to get... kill me.

If I had to start from scratch with my collection of 360 games, here's where I'd start.
  • Uno - ah, Uno. If you're after a good Arcade game to waste a lot of time with, you can't go wrong.
  • Guitar Hero 2 - Worth buying if you don't have the PS2 version, even the downloadable content sucks.
  • Oblivion + expansion - great if you're an RPG fan.
  • Gears, of course.
  • Crackdown
  • Halo 2, if you never had it for the Xbox.

There must be something wrong with me, I can't get enough of Crackdown. I think I've probably played it more than any other 360 game. I have two more agility orbs to get... kill me.

If I had to start from scratch with my collection of 360 games, here's where I'd start.
  • Uno - ah, Uno. If you're after a good Arcade game to waste a lot of time with, you can't go wrong.
  • Guitar Hero 2 - Worth buying if you don't have the PS2 version, even the downloadable content sucks.
  • Oblivion + expansion - great if you're an RPG fan.
  • Gears, of course.
  • Crackdown
  • Halo 2, if you never had it for the Xbox.

all great games

but i am probably the weird one, i got bored with Gears after a few months.....Oblivion came with my console, i got bored with it after 30 minutes, Halo, any of them, forget it, when i spawn and die 10 seconds later every time, forget it, thats not fun, thats a waste of my money, GH2.....mmmmmm...sorry, i dont feel that ghey, i just dont get that game at all....but i guess if you were into guitar to begin with maybe, but just like with DDR, i feel like i look like a complete idiot when playing it, and truth be told, anyone does, so i choose not be be part of that club...Uno, havent tried, but Texas Holdem' Poker is fun from time to time

just me of course! i am a racing fanatic, if it doesnt have wheels and a throaty engine, i am more or less not interested!

I'll just add that I've played Catan incessantly lately. Anyone who likes boardgames should give it a go.

I'll just add that I've played Catan incessantly lately. Anyone who likes boardgames should give it a go.

I'm also addicted to that game. I played the board game a fair amount and the 360 version is no disappointment. And don't forget Worms. Everybody loves those Worms.

guitar hero 2. I'm jonesing really bad since my roommate's 360 bricked hehe.

Also condemned is pretty sweet and by now it's probably $20 new

Thanks guys. I saw Rockstar Games Table Tennis and had to pick it up (20 bucks). I have been having a lot of fun with that, probably because I used to play it competitively in college.

I will be sure to pick up some of the titles you guys mentioned in the coming weeks.

Back