Do I upgrade video card or a waste of $20.

pinoy

Limp Gawd
Do I benefit to upgrade a Geforce 6200LE when all I'm using the computer for is for websurfing and video. No gaming. It's a Directx 9 card. My processor is a Phenom II X4 925 so it's pretty sweet already and can handle any HD videos. I know browsers have some hardware acceleration features but I don't know whether upgrading to a DirectX 11 card will enhance anything.

it "might" help if you were into watching high frame rate movies by using smooth video project. Basic web surfing and normal videos i think it may not do much if anything. Might as well wait until you need a new card for a new display one day assuming you don't have cash burning a hole in your pocket. getting a 960 or 285 wouldn't be so bad really...I have recommended it to friends that don't game cause they needed the hookup and i certainly think you can do worse with your money;)

wait...sorry you said $20 dollars...what card you had in mind? I cant really think of any way a 20 dollar card would help over what you have

I like how everyone here is so nice to a guy asking if he should UPGRADE to a 6200LE.

That's like asking "Should I get a Ford Model T or stick with my horse-drawn wagon?"

I like how everyone here is so nice to a guy asking if he should UPGRADE to a 6200LE.

That's like asking "Should I get a Ford Model T or stick with my horse-drawn wagon?"

He said upgrade a 6200, not upgrade TO

It's not as funny as the guy who posted this not understanding OP wants to upgrade from a 6200

im guessing you'll notice very little differnce if your only upgrading the video card. i think the money better spent would be on an ssd if you dont already have one.

I think it funny that the person making fun of the new guy owes a card from the exact same generation:D
nVidia GTX 660 SLi

Primetime, the 6200 LE came out back in 2004. The 660 GTX came out in 2012.

That said, I certainly advocate upgrading from that 6200 LE. What kind of expansion slot does your motherboard have? I mean, PCI? PCI-E? AGP?

Honestly. An "upgrade" to a 6200 won't do much for you.

It's a waste of money, even a yuppie single.

Primetime, the 6200 LE came out back in 2004. The 660 GTX came out in 2012.

That said, I certainly advocate upgrading from that 6200 LE. What kind of expansion slot does your motherboard have? I mean, PCI? PCI-E? AGP?

lol the models numbers went completely around...you think i would have noticed that since i once, actually still have my old 6800ultra collecting dust:eek: Hell now that i cleaned my eyes out if he owns a pci e motherboard then surely it wont go to waste...fuck that is an old card....now i get the model t reference:D

what about something like a GT 610
hell i take it back 20 dollars might do some good after all....the one reason i got thrown off was his reference to dx11 cards which the 600 series is....the 6000 series was dx8 or 9 right? ancient pc history is not my biggest interest...matter of fact it be crazy not to purchase a dx11 card for 20 bucks, assuming you could find one that cheap you definitely would not loose money if needing to resell it

Last edited:
I think it funny that the person making fun of the new guy owes a card from the exact same generation:D

Does this guy really think Geforce 6200 LE is in the same generation as Geforce GTX 660?

And he's been here for almost 10 years? There must be some kind of [H] card we can revoke, right?

Does this guy really think Geforce 6200 LE is in the same generation as Geforce GTX 660?

And he's been here for almost 10 years? There must be some kind of [H] card we can revoke, right?

you still running your mouth?:eek:you misread the first post as well which was brought to your attention by people other than me

The amount of people reading this incorrectly is staggering.

OP, I don't think you would benefit from an upgrade FROM A 6200 unless you are decoding high bit-rate MKV or something.

If you are not planning on throwing any GPU intensive action there, and the old 6200 is doing what you want it to do, then why upgrade..?

I'll throw my two cents in. If you really do have a 6200le there is a good chance it is the 64bit version and even a upgrade to a 6200 would be an improvement, dramatic no but an improvement. The 6200le was a horrible card in it's day. Any upgrade that get's you out of the 64bit memory bus will be helpful.

I'll throw my two cents in. If you really do have a 6200le there is a good chance it is the 64bit version and even a upgrade to a 6200 would be an improvement, dramatic no but an improvement. The 6200le was a horrible card in it's day. Any upgrade that get's you out of the 64bit memory bus will be helpful.

I tend to agree, especially if only dropping 20 bucks or so for a newer card

About $15 more gets your this. Would be a pretty good upgrade from a 6200.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
About $15 more gets your this. Would be a pretty good upgrade from a 6200.

I second this suggestion...

The faster memory, faster memory interface and extra amount of memory will help your overall experience in Windows. Especially when opening multiple applications and multiple web pages. Download and run GPU-Z to see how much video memory is being used just by opening several web pages and you will be surprised. Having a graphics card with the extra memory and memory speed to handle the window-to-window transition will definitely help. And the suggestion for the GT440 is perfect for what you are describing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back