Do I need to reinstall Windows?

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hi, I got a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 today and currently have a Gugabyte 880a-UD3. Do I need to reinstall Windows or can I just swap them out? Thanks.

I have to say absolutely; gets rid of any 'ghosts' you may encounter. When you install, the routine will relocate your files to a directory called "windows.old". You can get all your stuff back then.

My 2 cents.

Thanks, I was just double checking. All it means for me is reinstall a few programs and updates. Most of my applications are on a seperate HDD.

you can probably "repair install"
you then should not have the ordeal of moving files back

You don't need to. Just swap them, boot, Windows will reinstall all the basic drivers for everything. Reboot and install updated drivers for the components.

Probably and in every one there are as many people saying to reinstall as there are saying not to. I dont think Ive ever seen this question answered definitively one way or another. Ive actually seen more evidence that you dont because there are a few posters on here and other forums I frequent with people just swapping in a new board and not having any problems (of course its something like from a AMD 890FX to AMD 990FX and not Intel to AMD or anything major).

Use Ghostbuster (google it). There's no need for a reinstall.

Don't be lazy! Do a clean install. It's a perfect time to do it and you are assured of no headaches.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REINSTALL. MODERN OPERATING SYSTEMS WILL NOTICE THE CHANGE IN CORE HARDWARE DEVICES AND REINSTALL ALL THE DRIVERS.

I am speaking from experience. I have swapped motherboards several times on the same OS installation (Windows and Linux); there is no need to reinstall the OS, just the drivers after the OS re-detects all the hardware.

Probably and in every one there are as many people saying to reinstall as there are saying not to. I dont think Ive ever seen this question answered definitively one way or another. Ive actually seen more evidence that you dont because there are a few posters on here and other forums I frequent with people just swapping in a new board and not having any problems (of course its something like from a AMD 890FX to AMD 990FX and not Intel to AMD or anything major).

Went from AMD to Intel with no problems (besides faulty motherboard). And at the same time went from nVidia video card to AMD video card.

For some reason there have been a few of these threads pop up the last day or two and the vast majority of people are saying theyve swapped out SEVERAL motherboards without reinstalling Windows and are having no problems. Looks like I got my answer.

Back